Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Starion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
Nitrous5.0
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: silverdale, Washington
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conquest/Starion Question

Im looking at a Conquest (same thing as a starion) to use as a daily driver car and i was wondering if you could tell me wheather or not you would recommend it as one.

Id also like to eventualy get it to run 13's, and was wonderig how expencive would it be to make it that fast. I was thinking just a boost controller, exhaust, intake, all plumbing upgrades basicaly.

I was thinking about getting an eclipse but i have always liked the RWD starions/conquests and i happened to find a nice one in my city for only $500.

Thanks
Eric
Nitrous5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
sharp1
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sharp1
Re: Conquest/Starion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous5.0
Im looking at a Conquest (same thing as a starion) to use as a daily driver car and i was wondering if you could tell me wheather or not you would recommend it as one.

Id also like to eventualy get it to run 13's, and was wonderig how expencive would it be to make it that fast. I was thinking just a boost controller, exhaust, intake, all plumbing upgrades basicaly.

I was thinking about getting an eclipse but i have always liked the RWD starions/conquests and i happened to find a nice one in my city for only $500.

Thanks
Eric
These cars are OK daily drivers. Look out for cooling system problems. Getting this car to run 13's should'nt be too hard considering the TSI models come with a base horsepower of 188 wich in my opinion is a good start. If the car you're looking at is'nt a TSI model it could run you anywhere from $1500-$3000 for the turbo kit alone. For the modifications you mentioned however could run you up to $3000 total. Keep in mind that you may have to modify your drivetrain e.g. clutch, pressure plate, driveshaft and even suspension once you srart to make this heavy sport compact do 13's. I personaly recommend this car for racing over the eclipse but the eclipse may be a more practical daily driver.
sharp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast
 
Musashi3000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the price tag on the car is 500 bucks then its gonna need alot of work. A Starion/ Conquest in good condition would sell closer to 3K.
__________________

06 GTO: SLP Longtubes, SLP Loudmouth II K&N intake,
Ported Intake Manifold,
Ported Throttle body, MAF screen delete.
Tunned by Jeremy Formato. 381whp, 376wtq.
07 Ion Redline: Bone stock w/ factory Competition package.


In response to a race my wife had while pregnant with our baby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Prediction.... I bet we will hear about a guy down in Miami thats the King of street racing in about 18 years...Way to get him started....
Musashi3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
cahk
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rio, Wisconsin
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Conquest/Starion Question

My dad uses his conquest as a daily driver and his problem is that he put a 318 V-8 in it so it doesn't get the greatest gas mileage but he enjoys the car a lot because it has a lot of power and is fun to drive. Another problem is that even just an inch of rain slows it up because it is so low to the ground
__________________
Mopar or no car
cahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Dz Nutz
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Conquest/Starion Question

These cars are 20 years old and require constant maintenance to keep as a daily driver. Mine is my DD and has 250K+ on the odo. But you need to be certain you will be working on minor crap constantly.

TSI or not does not matter. 87 - 89 are the best years with 88 - 89 having the stronger axles etc to hold up to upgrades. We have guys running reliable daily drivers with 300+hp and steady 13's and lower.

I've had 13 of these cars over the years and am a bit biased when it comes to Moparbishi's.
Dz Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
AutoBodyGod
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AutoBodyGod Send a message via MSN to AutoBodyGod Send a message via Yahoo to AutoBodyGod
Re: Conquest/Starion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz Nutz
These cars are 20 years old and require constant maintenance to keep as a daily driver. Mine is my DD and has 250K+ on the odo. But you need to be certain you will be working on minor crap constantly.

TSI or not does not matter. 87 - 89 are the best years with 88 - 89 having the stronger axles etc to hold up to upgrades. We have guys running reliable daily drivers with 300+hp and steady 13's and lower.

I've had 13 of these cars over the years and am a bit biased when it comes to Moparbishi's.
The 4 bolt axles are no weaker than the 6 bolts. I've already proved this to myself.
AutoBodyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
QuestSHP
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Conquest/Starion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1 View Post
These cars are OK daily drivers. Look out for cooling system problems. Getting this car to run 13's should'nt be too hard considering the TSI models come with a base horsepower of 188 wich in my opinion is a good start. If the car you're looking at is'nt a TSI model it could run you anywhere from $1500-$3000 for the turbo kit alone. For the modifications you mentioned however could run you up to $3000 total. Keep in mind that you may have to modify your drivetrain e.g. clutch, pressure plate, driveshaft and even suspension once you srart to make this heavy sport compact do 13's. I personaly recommend this car for racing over the eclipse but the eclipse may be a more practical daily driver.
ALL Conquest/Starions were turbo. They werent intercooled until mid 85. All "widebody" cars were turbo/intercooled. 88-89 are the most desireable for a few reasons(interior, 6-bolt axle shafts, better ecu).

I would not consider this a good daily driving car unless by an off chance you come across one that has had regular mainenence its entire life. Headgaskets are notorious as well as faulty wiring harnesses. I would also avoid the automatics like the plague. Ive owned my 89 for 3.5 years and after at least 10k in restoring it Ive still only got about 4k miles on it. If it aint one thing, its three others...
QuestSHP is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Starion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts