Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
moliva1568
AF Regular

spring question

There's a set of springs for sale that I'm interested in. The picture looks like all four are rear springs. I'm used to seeing the front ones a little more tightly wound. I looked on rock auto and the pictures they have look more like what I'm used to. What do you guys think? I have a pontiac and these are for/from a Buick. Not sure of the Buick year but it had the same motor as mine, 455. I'm hoping they're compatible. Also, can anybody tell from the tag what company they're from? If so, I can then look up the model #.

Thanks

moliva1568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: spring question

Did a Google search for "10415613 spring" and the indications are this is a genuine GM spring. They appear to be from cars newer and smaller than what would have a 455 in it.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-10415613.html

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

They all look like rear springs to me. Front springs don't have the decreasing radius at the bottom, as far as I know.

The ones on the left look thicker.... possibly they are for a wagon...... the others are for a sedan.

Imo your 6-door will clobber standard sedan springs. Station wagon springs would be better. But you may need to add air shocks as well, to handle the extra weight of your car.

I suggest given your 6 door is unusual and heavier than anything GM made, you should forget about stock springs... even wagon ones. Go to an auto/truck spring shop and ask their advice. They can trial-fit various springs so you can be sure you get the ride height and load carrying capacity you need. Possibly Moog Cargo Coils for a mid-70's GM wagon might do.... or possibly Cadillac commercial chassis (limo and hearse) springs might work.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
moliva1568
AF Regular

The plan is to get some heavy duty moog springs for a catalina wagon. I came across these and was hoping I'd stumbled upon a bargain. I didn't think they looked like a set of front and rear. Oh well, back to the original plan.

Thanks for looking up the part #. I had tried that a few weeks ago with no success.
moliva1568 is offline   Reply With Quote