Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
03stratrt
AF Newbie

Infinity System ?

Got a question that may be dumb but who cares, I need some help on this one.

A friend of mine has asked me to install his amp into his 03 Montero with the Infinity stereo system. Now I have installed many stereo systems in cars but never just an amp to a factory system. I pulled out the radio and ,of course, no RCA jacks to run from the stereo to the amp. I did see a simple harness that basically just ran power to the radio. Then I saw the factory cd changer cable that went no where as he does not have the changer. Then I saw another cable similar to the changer cable & realized that this must run back to a factory amp. Sure enough, I traced it back and found the amp behind the interior panels on the passenger side.

Question is, can I install another amp to run to a couple of subs on this factory setup and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan
if you are talking about a jeep, the best way for sound quality using the original deck is to get down and do some splicing to make a bunch of speaker level inputs through the speaker line. Make sure the amp you are using has speaker level inputs. Also - get an infinity basslink. it's off the chain, easy to install and sounds perfect - unless you are going to spend big bucks, i'd get the basslink to balance everything out.
BigDanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
ssjwizard
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ssjwizard Send a message via Yahoo to ssjwizard
montero is made by mitsubishi. anyways if its allready got an amp theres no trouble hooking up another. if it doesnt have an output all you simply have to do is run the wires to your aftermarked amp first which will almost certinly have outputs then from the new amp to the old amp. now you will need to pull up a bit of interior for this part. but you will need to replace the power wire the amp is using with probably double the guage dpending on what size it has. id go with 4 guage if your not planing any realy high power subs. you will also need a distrobution block which should split out to two 8 guage wires run a power to each amp and give them there own grounds. you can also go to another distrobution block and do one ground or run it streight back to the battery.
ssjwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 AM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Infinity System ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjwizard
montero is made by mitsubishi. anyways if its allready got an amp theres no trouble hooking up another. if it doesnt have an output all you simply have to do is run the wires to your aftermarked amp first which will almost certinly have outputs then from the new amp to the old amp. now you will need to pull up a bit of interior for this part. but you will need to replace the power wire the amp is using with probably double the guage dpending on what size it has. id go with 4 guage if your not planing any realy high power subs. you will also need a distrobution block which should split out to two 8 guage wires run a power to each amp and give them there own grounds. you can also go to another distrobution block and do one ground or run it streight back to the battery.

I believe when he said it already has an amp he meant a stock amp, as in the power isn't wired like normal amps and the line in is different as well. He couldn't just run the signal to the new amp and then go out to the old, because chances are the signal going to the old isn't rca or high level, it's a special cable designed to only go from that headunit to that amp.

Unfortunately I don't know what you can do about this, apart from tapping into the rear speaker signals after the stock amp powers them and putting in a line output converter, then running the rcas to the new amp. I don't know how that would affect the signal that is going to the rear speakers though.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #5
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan
Re: Infinity System ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjwizard
montero is made by mitsubishi.
my bad, i skimmed over that - when i read stock infinity system i defaulted to jeep, as they are the ones who use it the most.
BigDanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
03stratrt
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help guys.

I was afraid it wouldn't be as easy as my buddy wanted it to be. I told him that it would be easier for him to buy a new head unit then I could run all new wire to everything in the truck. Probably get a better sounding system that way too.