Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Sabal
AF Newbie

Exclamation White smoke - safe to drive to mechanic?

Hi,

I just got to work and I am very worried because there's white smoke coming from the engine compartment. I noticed this yesterday coming back from work, but it was the first time this happens.
When I turn off the car, it keeps making a noise for a while. I know absolutely nothing about cars but I think it's overheating.

My usual mechanic is a 5miles drive away - is it safe to drive there or should I just look for one in the area?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Sabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Re: White smoke - safe to drive to mechanic?

When you say white smoke from the engine, I think possibly a coolant leak that is spraying on the hot engine and creating steam. If the mechanic is 5 miles down the road, then driving it there when the car is cold, shouldn't be a problem. Unless the coolant reservoir is empty. Check under the hood to make sure some coolant is in there before driving to the mechanic. Overheating an engine can be very bad for it.

The making noise for awhile after it is off, could be the leak seeping or boiling out of the overflow.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Sabal
AF Newbie

Re: White smoke - safe to drive to mechanic?

Thanks for your reply.

In the end I called my usual mechanic and they recommended me to look for one in the area, just to be on the safe side.
There is one around here and they said it was a leak in a water pipe - the water tank was getting empty in a matter of seconds!
Sabal is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett