Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
S13_marine
AF Newbie

Megan Racing Coilovers

I have to decided to go with the Megan Racing coilovers, and i was just wondering who has these and the ups/ downs of the STREET setup VS the TRACK setup. Right now i'm leaning towards the TRACK coilovers. I probably will be driving the car 10-20 miles a day back and forth to work, other than that it is gonna be my project car. Just wondering how streetable the TRACK series is.. and any other comments on these are warmly welcomed. THANKS
S13_marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: Megan Racing Coilovers

throw them in the trash. megan racing is crap that retarted taiwanese babies reverse engineer and send the plans off to mexico so the retarted mexican babies can manufacture.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

I say dont buy megan also, inproperly valved coilovers are a mistake, are they stiff...yes, do they make your car handle awesome...eh, yup there stiff. thats about all you can say about them. there pretty bouncy. I personally would say If your going to daily the car and need to buy these get the street series. I would also say that I would use this as an only option if you really really want an adjustable ride height to look cool...other wise i say buy KTS or stance for the low bar coilover.

~Nick
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
S13_marine
AF Newbie

i'm on a pretty tight budget, not EXTREMELY tight, but wanna put money into the motor as well. i've heard alot of good things from other people with the Megan's, what do you mean by "improperly valved" ???
S13_marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

the dampening is garbage for the most part, its what causes it to be super stiff yet bouncy (because they try to make it "streetable") If your looking for a streetable/cost effiecent setup. look into ground control coilovers with koni struts. with eibach springs. super streetable (if you choose a good spring rate) and can be even better setup than most coilovers. but then you'll have to buy camber plates to control camber...which isnt that big of a deal.
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

plus if you dont like how they make your car handle, later on you can send em back and get revalved dampers. koni does this, megan racing probably doesnt even know what valves are for, and would give you a deer in headlights look if you asked them to revalve their dampers.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

You're hearing good things from megan owners because they're too poor to have driven on anything else.

anything under 1500$ will be from china, garunteed. but there are varying levels.

Ksport is off the wall bad
Megan isn't much better
KTS and Stance are ok, and both the exact same thing.
Teins are nice but over priced.
Tanabes are pretty nice for what they are too.
Zeals will be best but still undersprung/underdamped for serious business.

Get KTS/Stance if you want your car low. cheapie KWs if you don't care, ASTs if you're gonna get super real.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
HoosierDrifter
AF Regular

quit being pussies.... be fckn men people. if you want your 240 to handle well and have a good stance, youre gonna have to give up comfort. thats it. i went with tein flex "the streetable coilover" and even at the softest it goes, it still jarrs the fck out of me... but maybe thats because of our pos indiana roads. id say go with coilovers if youre a man

71 Camaro RS/SR'ed 92 240sx
HoosierDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

huh? ^^^^
do you know what your talking about? you can get springs and dampers from koni that will outhandle any off the shelf name brand coilover. tein flex sucks balls for anything, so does any other tein coilover besides the $2500+ ones which are way overpriced. JIC is ok but overpriced. KTS/stance/zeal/and others i cant think of right now are what id use, but zeal is still a bit overpriced. unless your whip is never driven on the street, theres no reason to spend more than 1200 on a set of springs/dampers.

anyways...the only benefit of coilovers is adjustability. in other words the ability to run multiple damping profiles and ride heights with one set of hardware. but if you get some coilovers that are perfect for the street, youll have comprimises in on-track performance, and the other way around. non-adjustable custom valved dampers with custom rate springs will be cheap and just as good or better than some coilovers designed to do everything on a mediocre level. oh and dampers/springs will let your 240sx run wider rims in front. coilovers are wider where the rim is closest to the spring than struts.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
huh? ^^^^
do you know what your talking about? you can get springs and dampers from koni that will outhandle any off the shelf name brand coilover..
Yeah, for 1200 a corner.

Quote:
tein flex sucks balls for anything.
actually its pretty nice.

Quote:
so does any other tein coilover besides the $2500+ ones which are way overpriced..
The design on those is so old that KTS dampening is the exact same

Quote:
JIC is ok but overpriced..
Oh choff, try agian.

Quote:
anyways...the only benefit of coilovers is adjustability. in other words the ability to run multiple damping profiles and ride heights with one set of hardware. but if you get some coilovers that are perfect for the street, youll have comprimises in on-track performance, and the other way around. non-adjustable custom valved dampers with custom rate springs will be cheap and just as good or better than some coilovers designed to do everything on a mediocre level.
How many tries do you think it will take to acheive that? everyone thinks they can just call up koni and say "give it to me kuh-kuh-kustom." and they get some magic dampers that work better than everyones "JDM crap"

takes alot more thought than that.

takes alot more money than the initial 1100$ buy in for the entry level 8611s.

Quote:
oh and dampers/springs will let your 240sx run wider rims in front. coilovers are wider where the rim is closest to the spring than struts.
Says everyone who sets their steering axis inclination wrong.

or you get the optional short springs. and have just as much room if not more.

In general, Japanese coilovers are undersprung and way underdampened for serious business. Nobody on this forum will ever use their car for serious business so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

i agree but im not just talking out of my ass. i know suspension setup is all about trial and error. but better to make the effort than go listen to what the guys on tha forum say.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX