Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

strange noise

I have a 2005 Kia sedona. It started making a noise similar to a worn cv joint. The rubbing noise which is usually louder when turning. Sometimes there is a noise that literally sounds like a loud screech and some loud clanging or knocking noise. I got under the car and looked at all the joints and the boots are still on them all. My second guess was the steering rack and the boots were on them also. I had a corolla which had the basic rubbing noise when turning. I also had a caravan that would vibrate hard when it was at about 50-70mph and after I changed the axles it stopped. So could this be another joint problem? Anything else to check?
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: strange noise

Does the noise change when applying the brakes lightly? Have you checked to make sure all lugnuts are properly torqued?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Did you check the wheel bearings?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

I was told it was the axle. I am replacing it but the shaft doesn't come out of the hub. What is the best way to get it out? I have popped it from the transmission but there isn't enough room for me to get it completely out of the hole. I have used lots of wd40. I have seen videos of people use a screw or bolt at the end and hit it with a hammer. I have used a metal bar and held it against the shaft and hit it with a hammer but that doesn't do anything. The last two i changed on past vehicles, getting it free from the spindle was the least of my worries.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You might need a little heat, or maybe even trying a 2 or 3 jaw puller will push it out. I had one get stuck in a spindle on me once. I beat the ever living shit out of it with a 3 lb sledge, and it finally broke free. I don't suggest you use the same force. I didn't care what force I used because it was on a parts car I was stripping.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
You might need a little heat, or maybe even trying a 2 or 3 jaw puller will push it out. I had one get stuck in a spindle on me once. I beat the ever living shit out of it with a 3 lb sledge, and it finally broke free. I don't suggest you use the same force. I didn't care what force I used because it was on a parts car I was stripping.
And it is used for pushing the outer shaft out of the spindle? I have watched alot of videos of jaw pullers and see nothing but pulling the shaft out of the transmission, which isn't what I need. I have it out of th transmission I just can't get it out of the spindle. Other videos show pulling things like harmonic balancers off but not pushing the axle out of the spindle.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

Probably a dumb question, but I've gotta ask it anyway. You have removed the axle nut and the washer, correct? If you put the axle nut on the end of the axle backwards, that will give you a bigger target to hit with your hammer and also help to protect the threads of the shaft.

I've never removed the halfshaft from a Kia, but suspect they're just like about every other modern front wheel drive based axle out there.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
And it is used for pushing the outer shaft out of the spindle? I have watched alot of videos of jaw pullers and see nothing but pulling the shaft out of the transmission, which isn't what I need. I have it out of th transmission I just can't get it out of the spindle. Other videos show pulling things like harmonic balancers off but not pushing the axle out of the spindle.
The way the puller works the threaded rod would push on the axle. Most CV axles I have ever dealt with have a centering hole. You hook the jaws on the spindle, spin the threaded rod up to the axle, then using an impact tighten the rod.

It will put a strong steady force on the axle to push it out.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Probably a dumb question, but I've gotta ask it anyway. You have removed the axle nut and the washer, correct? If you put the axle nut on the end of the axle backwards, that will give you a bigger target to hit with your hammer and also help to protect the threads of the shaft.

I've never removed the halfshaft from a Kia, but suspect they're just like about every other modern front wheel drive based axle out there.

-Rod
Yes I have. Ive tried putting a pipe to the shaft and hammering but that doesn't work either. I haven't tried the axle nut because I was worried about messing up the nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
The way the puller works the threaded rod would push on the axle. Most CV axles I have ever dealt with have a centering hole. You hook the jaws on the spindle, spin the threaded rod up to the axle, then using an impact tighten the rod.

It will put a strong steady force on the axle to push it out.
I tried a 3 jaw puller and it didn't work. I tightened until I couldn't turn it anymore and all it did was push the axle back into the transmission.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical