Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
the_unicycle_guy
AF Newbie

2003 Malibu starts but stalls immediatly?

Hey everyone,

The car turns over strong, and will fire every now and then. The car will start sometimes and dies within a few seconds, regardless of giving it gas. Sounds like the fuel pump is running when the key is turned on. Sounds like it's not getting gas or not letting it fire. Got it brought back on a flatbed after the problem first started a few days ago and it started up fine and ran fine. Turned it on and off a few times with no problems, but it started doing the same thing the next day, and hasn't ran since. Had a similar problem on another car and it turned out to be a cracked distributor letting moisture in. Sprayed the wires off with wire dry, but the car doesn't have a distributor cap like my other car did, so not sure if opening it and spraying it would help.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
the_unicycle_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2003 Malibu starts but stalls immediatly?

Whats your fuel pressure at?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
the_unicycle_guy
AF Newbie

No idea. Don't have a fuel pressure test kit. Could pick one up and check it out, though. I didn't think about checking it beforehand.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Fuel pressure is between 50 and 55 PSI. Book says the PSI should be 52 -59.

Last edited by the_unicycle_guy; 05-28-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Are you getting spark at both of the first two plugs near the radiator side?
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
the_unicycle_guy
AF Newbie

The two plugs to the left on the front of the engine have good spark.

Car was running perfectly fine until this. It all started after driving about 10 miles, parking and turning it off for a minute or two, then wouldn't start again. Maybe that'll help spark some ideas.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

unplug the 10 way connecter that goes to the injectors and on the side to the PCM check with a noid light for injector pulse while cranking or use a test light connected +Battery. You could also unhook the MAP sensor and see if it will start but I doubt it will. You could also unplug the TPS and try just in case the TPS is giving a clear flood output. Also check fuses to PCM/inj.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
the_unicycle_guy
AF Newbie

Tried disconnecting both the TPS and MAP sensor individually and neither helped. The TPS seemed to allow the car to fire slightly more than it has been, but that could be both my imagination and the car doing it's own thing- needless to say it still wouldn't start. Also checked the PCM/INJ fuse and it's good. Gave a quick glance at all the fuses I could see in the panel and they seem to be fine. Didn't check them all, though. Code reader is giving no codes.

I'll go get a loaner Noid light and check that tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
sbriar
AF Newbie

It could be your Oil Pressure Sensor, the fuel pump seems to be working because it primes up for start, after the car starts the oil pressure sensor takes over and keeps your pump running, if the main computer does not sense any oil pressure it will shut off the pump.
Also check your main connection from your fuel pump, it is the 7 or 8 pin connector located on the body next to the gas tank, unplug it and see if you see any spread apart connections on the female side of the plug.
I replaced 3 fuel pumps in my 03 Malibu before finding out that I had a bad plug. I removed the connector from the car by taking out the back seat, drilled out the connector so wires would run through the connector and hard wired it, after by-passing this connector I haven't had any fuel pump problems.
sbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbriar View Post
It could be your Oil Pressure Sensor, the fuel pump seems to be working because it primes up for start, after the car starts the oil pressure sensor takes over and keeps your pump running, if the main computer does not sense any oil pressure it will shut off the pump.
Are you sure about that?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbriar View Post
GM use to wire the fuel pump through the oil pressure switch but they stopped doing it that way some time in the mid-90's model years.

Quote:
Also check your main connection from your fuel pump, it is the 7 or 8 pin connector located on the body next to the gas tank, unplug it and see if you see any spread apart connections on the female side of the plug.
I replaced 3 fuel pumps in my 03 Malibu before finding out that I had a bad plug. I removed the connector from the car by taking out the back seat, drilled out the connector so wires would run through the connector and hard wired it, after by-passing this connector I haven't had any fuel pump problems.
This could be a possibility if he had a fuel pressure problem, but he said he has good fuel pressure. He's also said he has spark from at least 2 coils. Based on what we know so far he needs to find out if his injectors are being pulsed and go from there.

I should correct something about using a noid light to test injector pulse at the 10-way connector. A regular noid light probably won't be able to bridge the two halves of the injector connection without an inline adapter harness. But the pin layout is A,B,C for injectors 1,2,3, and H,J,K for injectors 6,5,4. There should be +battery voltage with key ON supplied through the injector side of the harness at those pins, and appling +battery to the PCM side at those pins should flash the test light while cranking.

Last edited by manicmechanix; 05-31-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
sbriar
AF Newbie

GM use to wire the fuel pump through the oil pressure switch but they stopped doing it that way some time in the mid-90's model years.

You are right, my mistake. I looked in the Hanyes Manual and it says "If the PCM senses there is NO signal from the camshaft or crankshaft sensors (as with the engine not running or cranking), the PCM will de-energize the relay."
sbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
brokemalibu
AF Newbie

I have the identical problem. Have Spark, Have fuel pressure, Loosing patience. If you fixed It please tell me what you did.
brokemalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemalibu View Post
I have the identical problem. Have Spark, Have fuel pressure, Loosing patience. If you fixed It please tell me what you did.
Why don't you follow the diagnostic in this thread to see if your injectors are being pulsed? What's causing the other guys Malibu not to run isn't necessarily the same thing causing yours not to run.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
brokemalibu
AF Newbie

Fixed the malibu. It was a paslock problem. added a resistor to the ignition. cost one buck. To diagnose the prob, just turn the ignition on for ten min the turn off and it started. If this works you have a paslock prob. A guy goes by handle, ponchanutty has the fix. Worked for me. was thrilled. others say they had just a good a result and it lasted. Good luck all Thanx Mike
brokemalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
sbriar
AF Newbie

Where exactly do you add this resistor?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
maliu , start , started , stay , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu