Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
mekalue89
AF Newbie

humming noise when turning

Im not that mechanically inclined but when i turn right my car is making a loud humming noise, the sound is constant.. just a hummmmmmm, but when i turn left or go straight it goes away so it is not power steering, im suspecting a wheel bearing or ball joint, but im not sure, any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
mekalue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
steelow
AF Newbie

Re: humming noise when turning

I think you need to add power steering fluid. My car used to do the same thing, if not worse. I couldn't figure out why for a very long time, but when I added the power steering fluid, like a miracle, the humming sound totally dissapeared. Please try it, it might work for you too.
steelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Negatoro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Negatoro

Do the volume/pitch of the buzzing noise change with speed?
Negatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
mekalue89
AF Newbie

its not the power steering, its full, i also knew this because it does not do it while the car is parked .. only like 40-50+ and the faster you go.. the louder it gets
Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Negatoro
AF Regular

If the noise could also be described as a hum/grind/low growl then suspect wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Jack the front wheels off the ground, put it in neutral and spin each front wheel. If a wheel bearing is bad it will be evident in the ugly sound heard.

In the near future take notice of any vibration in the steering wheel at speed. Also... Oh crap [You posted about your ABS light on].

Another clue to check the wheel bearings is an illuminated ABS light. If water contaminated the hub, the water fouls the wheel speed sensor in that hub which in turn triggers the ABS light.

-Mark T.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
mekalue89
AF Newbie

there is no vibration when turning and thanks, it just started snowing here so its not the best idea to try jackin it up n spinning the wheel, but ill try it and see what comes of it, also i've had the car for about 3 months, the abs light has always been on and the humming just started like a week ago, i just thought i'd state that.

thanks for the help, ill get back to ya with results.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Negatoro
AF Regular

If you can't tell the bad bearing from listening to the spinning wheel you can test the sensor with a volt meter. In this thread, Blue Bowtie explains how to check the sensors electronically. You still need to get the tires off the ground to spin them.

Make sure you raise the front end safely with the parking brake set, rear wheels chocked, and the front end's weight eventually supported securely.

-Mark T.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 AM   #8
pernit
AF Newbie

Re: humming noise when turning JEEP CHEROKEE

Im experiencing the same problem, It seemed to happen the day after I drove thru a muddy car park, some mud might have got in the joint or not i dont know, (hopefully not), when i turn the steering wheel it makes this small humming noise and i can feel it on the steering wheel, I looked at the power steering fluid and that is 1/3 full. (will it go away if I fill it up). Also when i start the car in the morning it seems to take a few seconds to start and a small cloud of white smoke and then its ok (is this normal for a 2.5 Turbo Diesel?)

Thank you
pernit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Welcome to AF Pernit. This post is 4 months old, so it would be best to start a new thread (preferably in the Jeep Cherokee forum) so more people will see your problem that know more about your specific vehicle.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu