Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
HyperFox
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HyperFox
Food For thought - North American Vs. Import

The age old debate:

Is in import better then a domestic.

I stumbles across this aricle, and then checked it out with the surveying agencies web sites. The information is surprisingly true.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jc/quality.htm
HyperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: Food For thought - North American Vs. Import

That article is full of BS.Imports do break down and will pay the price for repairs.I learned this from someone that works at a Carquest auto parts from his father,check out a price for an alternator for a Buick Park Ave. and a Toyota Camry.The alternator for the Buick is cheaper and the one for the Toyota is expensive.Problem with the imports i:Where do the profits for the vehicle and the social security go if they are built in the USA?The profits and the social security money go overseas to Japan,Germany,Korea and that is a bad Idea.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
shadow5599
AF Newbie

I just skimmed the article but got the idea that north american vehicles are doing better, especially in the mid size class. I've always had good service from north american vehicles and have never owned anything else. The debate will never end but I do agree that supporting our own continent's economy is worth something.
shadow5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
HyperFox
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HyperFox

Oh abseloutly. I am proudly Canadian, and I would rather drive a car built in the United States, and see the profits return to the American economy, then see money poured into someone else's country. Such as the case of the Allison Honda Plant in Ontario. Support Canadian built Hondas. Yes I do agree. It has created many jobs within Canada, but the big bucks still go back to Japan.

Its just funny how all the major names such as consumer reports, Road & Track, motor trend, etc... all applaud the quality of import vehicles. Oh my, it will last forever, its a toyota, its built well, the materials are higher quality... Blah blah blah!!

J.D. Power and associates survey the customers after set periods of times and find that imports are no better, and in some cases even worse, but of course the big magazines all praise the imports. Bull **** I say.

Ill stick with my Chevy thanks. Lets see.. My fully loaded malibu cost $24,596. Base Honda Accord with an automatic.. $26,000? And the Base Toyota Camary cant be that far behind. People are paying foreign countries more for a vehicle that is of equal quality to the competition, offers less then its competition, and a warranty that is less then the competition.

Are people just loyal to import cars, or just very stupid?
HyperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
wpbharry
AF Regular

With the case of Toyota and Honda, it's a simple case of "herd mentality". Just like the large SUV craze, the 2004-5 real estate market and the stock market of 1999-2000.

I have a good friend that has purchased 2 Toyotas recently - an '07 Camry XLE V-6 and just last week, a new Tundra CrewMax.

I don't see the big deal with either. Dash is a misassembled mishmash in the Camry and the Tundra is just plain fugly.

And both are overpriced (and the price paid is insane).
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
klieu
AF Newbie

Today Camry is NOT yesterday Camry, if you are thinking about the past, you will pay for the future
klieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
shadow5599
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperFox
Ill stick with my Chevy thanks. Lets see.. My fully loaded malibu cost $24,596. Are people just loyal to import cars, or just very stupid?
Based on my own lengthy car buying history I'd say stupid. Ok, I'll be more polite...they are swayed by social pressures and slick advertising? I have no problem with imports and I do respect their quality but I base a large portion of my purchasing decisions on cost of ownership. On that criteria alone, North American vehicles win hands down.

I've learned to take advantage of depreciation. My latest Chevy, the 05 Malibu was purchased after it was 1 year old and had only 16,000kms.
Price, $16,000. I'm sure it carried a price of $26,000 new. Rated as one of the top vehicles in it's class and in the top 6 for safety. There is NO way you can find an import of this class, options and quality at that price. MY cost of ownership vs an import buyer's? Well, that will turn out to be downright embarassing for them.
shadow5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
Scott-Ohio
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klieu
Today Camry is NOT yesterday Camry, if you are thinking about the past, you will pay for the future
Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean? Are you saying certain years of the older Camry's were better? Which years? Thanks, curious, Scott
Scott-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Axehead
AF Newbie

I wouldn't say one was better than the other- just different.

After selling used cars, it will be cold day in Death Valley before I'll buy a GM product. Save for maybe Cadillac, because the CTS-V is sexy, you would have to pay me to get in one- the rattles and squeaks they develop are unforgiveable. I loathe Buicks and Malibus.

Fords, particularly Taurus', seemed to hold together better with similar mileage and use.

But no American car I know of can beat my Honda Civic Si. $16,000. Naturally aspirated, not turbo'd like Dodge's SRT-4, I can get 100 horsepower to the liter, and still cruise with 30 mpg.

(The SRT-4 is/was a bad car to try and race with- it's insanely fast. Build quality is good, too. But uncomfortable for longer trips and pricey.)

Until American car makers can build an engine that will match a Honda...? The only new American vehicle I'll buy will be a Buell motorcycle.

Just FYI, my other two vehicles are a 1963 International Harvester C900 and a 1965 Ford Fairlane with a 289. I love American cars- we're just not building 'em up to snuff these days.
Axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
videobruce
AF Newbie

What gets me are all these so called 'expert' reviews that use the Camry or the Accord as some reference for the 'perfect' car.
As if those vehicles were some 'standard' everything else should be judged by.

The other thing that fries me is this 'yuppie' factor these same people base their opinion on regarding the head turning ability based on just the 'looks' of the car. IOWs', if it doesn't stand out in a parking lot, it's not worth it. AFAIC, all these cars look alike in the first place making a 'plain' car stand out more (reverse logic).
Some have gone as far as to downgrade a vehicle stateing Capt. Kirk could of use it for a surprise attack on the Klinons (or words to that affect).

Obviously, some really childish, immature yuppie types with grossly inflated egos.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
videobruce
AF Newbie

Does anyone not feel that imported named vehicle replacement parts are more expensive overall?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Axehead
AF Newbie

You make two excellent points. As they said in the movie Sin City- "modern cars all look like electric razors". Very few really look all that different.

And 2- import replacement parts cost. This is the reason I'll not buy another Japanese vehicle. See, for al their talk, hondas and toyotas aren't really made here. There shipped over mostly complete, and then final assembly is done here. That's how they create American jobs and avoid paying importation tariffs. Then your starter motor costs $300 when you need a new one...

I sold my Civic Si, and I do miss it terribly. BUT, the insurance and registration on my two old vehicles cost next to nothing. And who cares about gas mileage when you're not making a car payment?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
videobruce
AF Newbie

Assembled in non union plants just so they can say that they are made here.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
Axehead
AF Newbie

Actually, THAT part I'm actually in favor of. IMHO it's the unions that are bankrupting GM and Ford. I'm about the most anti-union guy you can find.

Recovery process for Ford:
1. Eliminate the unions. We live in an information age where if you don't treat your employees right, everybody will know about it anyway. Unions are no longer needed, redundant, and a cause of bloated expense.
2. Eliminate Mercury. They're nothing more than re-badged Fords anyway. Keep your Fords for the everyman, and Lincoln for the Lexus dominating.
3. Make pretty cars. Why does Chrysler have exclusive rights to good looking Amrican made cars for the past 10 years? With the Caliber and Nitro, they've finally slipped. It's time for Ford to capitalize on the looks of the Fusion and Edge, and develop a signature look like BMW's kidney grille, or Dodge's cross-grille. Go with the 3-bar. The 500 was boring and the Focus is old. Go nuts.
4. Make better engines. We know you can. Horsepower AND mileage.

I love Ford- the '65 Fairlane was left to me by late Grandpa -and I desperately want to see them make a triumphant return.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
niccaleb112602
AF Newbie

It's funny people are complaining that the price of parts "alternators" and such cost more than american cars. That maybe but I don't see me replacing such parts for a VERY long time as for having to put gaskets in GM cars and front hubs because of poor engineering. Mopar for there poor integrity of the craftmanship, and don't get me started on transmissions. Ford was not a real problem except for there transmissions and poor wiring. But like I said sure parts are more expencive, but they don't wear out after 75,000 miles. I didn't have to change anything mechanical on my honda till it hit 200,000 mark. so my guess is, supply and demand. Jap cars don't use these parts so they have to mark them up to get something for them.
niccaleb112602 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu