Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
igkyoa
AF Enthusiast

Re: See ya later POS Malibu

seriously guys... wtf... why not go do something usefull whit your time... get a hobby...
igkyoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #17
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

but this is sooo much more fun! ha ha i do miss thae malibu forum. i posted some questions in the 4 runner forum and no one answers anything and the ones that do post don't know a damn thing.
gapboi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
Hark
AF Newbie

My daughter just recently purchased a Malibu - so I can't say as to the Malibu - but I had a 1990 Cutlass Cierra with over 250,000 miles on it when I got it - and my daughter's car before the Malibu was a 1990 Pontiac with over 150,000 miles on it. They both run great and get about 28 mpg - only real problem was the multiple owners before us did not care for them - so the exterior is in really poor shape. Never having owned a Toyota or a Honda I can't really compare - but seeing how I paid about $200 for my prior GM cars - and did some minimal engine work to them and they get my daughter/wife to work and back - how could you beat em? Unfortunately I haven't seen many Toyota or Hondas that you could buy for less than $500 - or even $750.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #19
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

You put ur wife and daughter in a $200 car? Hmmm you don't happen to be Jewish do you?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
igkyoa
AF Enthusiast

thats a little harsh............. come on dude... but anyway i agree, i would not want anyone i care about in a car i did not think was safe.... and a $200 it cant be much of a car...
Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #21
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

hmm i wonder if it came with a body in the trunk. That reminds me I went to go look at a '01 Pontiac Trans Am with less than 20K miles for like 2 grand. Turns out some guy committed suicide in it by blowing his brains out all over the t-tops and back of the car. the car not even cleaned or stripped.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
gaspig
AF Newbie

I had a 1992 Honda Accord which hit 260K(km) when I finally sold it and it needed a lot of work just to stay on the road...and the parts were/are extremely expensive. My 1993 Lumina now has 335k(km) and is running strong. The odd time it does need parts, they are seriously cheap in comparison. That's what led me to buy the 2002 Malibu. It only has 110K (km) and has needed quite a few repairs, but they are still relatively manageable. Bottom line - Honda and Toyota are not all they are cracked up to be.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #23
tractorboy
AF Regular

gapboi210 I am telling you , we are no longer amussed,,,, somebody get rid of this guy.

as far as the cars from Japan. I had an 80's Toyota Corona, I had it till 80k. Sold it to a neighbor who gave it to his son, who imediatelly tried to kill it ( no maint) The car actually made it another 80k . The car was unsafe, the doors were a half inch thick. Yes there are a lot of old Japanesse cars around, just the sheer numbers that were sold, you could buy a 6 pack of them for what it cost for a Chevy. I also had an 85 Toyota Cressida , this was the biggest car toyota made, it was a cheap hand me down from a familly memeber. I am 6'5" and the only time i could really sit comfortably in the car was when the sun roof was open and my head stuck out by an inch.
Both of the Toyotas gave me the impression of something coughed up from a cad program, while every Chevy I have owned gave me the impression it was designed by a person, yes someone who loves the automobile. There is no other car or truck that can match the styling of GM,,, but thats just me talking, you may see it different.
tractorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #24
niccaleb112602
AF Newbie

he maybe negative, but all around quality with gm has been seriously suffering, u never heard of these problems 20yrs ago, unless they were a cheap manufacture. yes the looks and feel of gm vehicles are appealing, and yes they are american brand car, but come on the foreign market does put out a better car for reliability. I myself am a owner of a 98 old cutlass "same thing". and iv'e replaced the motor thanks to the gaskets. Starter, window motor, blower resister,..ect ect ect. and the car has 65,000 miles on it. So i have to agree that these cars are nothing but a joke of a gm vehicle, and never should of been made without proper testing, and gm recall all of them for these problems. I should not have to call them to squeeze some kind of break on the dealership fixing there underengineering piece of crap.
niccaleb112602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorboy
gapboi210 I am telling you , we are no longer amussed,,,, somebody get rid of this guy.

as far as the cars from Japan. I had an 80's Toyota Corona, I had it till 80k. Sold it to a neighbor who gave it to his son, who imediatelly tried to kill it ( no maint) The car actually made it another 80k . The car was unsafe, the doors were a half inch thick. Yes there are a lot of old Japanesse cars around, just the sheer numbers that were sold, you could buy a 6 pack of them for what it cost for a Chevy. I also had an 85 Toyota Cressida , this was the biggest car toyota made, it was a cheap hand me down from a familly memeber. I am 6'5" and the only time i could really sit comfortably in the car was when the sun roof was open and my head stuck out by an inch.
Both of the Toyotas gave me the impression of something coughed up from a cad program, while every Chevy I have owned gave me the impression it was designed by a person, yes someone who loves the automobile. There is no other car or truck that can match the styling of GM,,, but thats just me talking, you may see it different.
why are u comparing the imports form the 80's to a newer GM? Yeah they were smaller and lighter. Also, there were size limitations back then on imports look it up.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #26
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorboy

Oh yeah, NO ONE IS FORCING U TO READ OR REPLY TO THIS SO WAHHH!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #27
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

For the record I am not a GM hater. I am a big fan of the GM Truck line. It seems to have a much more quality and reliability than the GM sedans. I have seen GM trucks go well past 220K miles on original motor and trans with routine maintence. It seems like the body wears out before the drivetrain does. Thats great. That durabilty and quality doesn't seem to float over to the car side of things. I wold definitly own a GM truck again but never one of their cars. They look great and drive great but..... looks can be deceiving. I am sure there are some malibus that will make it to 200K miles but those will be the exceptions. I don't think the Malibu will have a life span like the trucks that the same company produces.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #28
Dobbskel
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dobbskel Send a message via Yahoo to Dobbskel
Thumbs down Re: See ya later POS Malibu

I own a 99 Cutlass, same pos as Malibu. I also own a 1990 Volvo, that I got for real cheep. At least when things to go wrong with the Volvo it gives you enough time to fix it before it is completely broke down. I was a fan of GM as a whole for a lot of years, but when it comes to cars the years have been hard on GM. I also have a 94 Grand Am, 2.3 is a big pile. The Cutlass is like a street walker. It looks great on the outside, but is deseised below.

Yah, like a car company that raps its crap in a real nice bun. but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. here are the things I have changed on the 99 Cutlass; Brakes 3 times, rotors 2 times, 1 caliper,Altinator, water pump, intake gaskets, battery, and I still have the faulty heater control switch (70 dollars) ya I will buy that, not. All before 100,000 does the car just explode after that?
Dobbskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #29
igkyoa
AF Enthusiast

you guys need to remember that things like brake pads, rotors, and batteries you have to replace every so often on every car right? cause you are listing it like its some big deal.........
Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #30
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbskel
I own a 99 Cutlass, same pos as Malibu. I also own a 1990 Volvo, that I got for real cheep. At least when things to go wrong with the Volvo it gives you enough time to fix it before it is completely broke down. I was a fan of GM as a whole for a lot of years, but when it comes to cars the years have been hard on GM. I also have a 94 Grand Am, 2.3 is a big pile. The Cutlass is like a street walker. It looks great on the outside, but is deseised below.

Yah, like a car company that raps its crap in a real nice bun. but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. here are the things I have changed on the 99 Cutlass; Brakes 3 times, rotors 2 times, 1 caliper,Altinator, water pump, intake gaskets, battery, and I still have the faulty heater control switch (70 dollars) ya I will buy that, not. All before 100,000 does the car just explode after that?
Heater control, cheap DIY fix, use google sometimes.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu