Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Was This Helpful?
No. 1 20.00%
Yes, as originally written. 3 60.00%
Yes, with added replies used in conjunction. 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

How To: Blinker/Flasher/Hazard lights work intermittently

This has been discussed many times here before, and I thought I would bring all of the information together in a "how-to." I have not had this switch fail on my 1999, but I imagine it may someday since some 2002 have reported the problem and they fall outside of the recall model years. Cost is estimated at $30, and time to replace at 20 minutes.

Problem: Blinker/Flasher/Hazard lights seem to work only when they want to, or not at all.

Reason: Hazard switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Original switch was subject to extreme change in temperature during original assembly.

Affected Model Years: 2000, 2001, 2002

Additional Information: GM Recall #03043A on 2000 and 2001 Model Year Malibu/Alero/Grand Am

Permanent Fix:

1. Remove two screws that hold the dash panel trim located just above the gauges on the underside of the dash.
2. Remove the dash panel that spans the width of the car being careful not to damage any of the clips that hold it in place.
3. Unplug the hazard switch wire connector.
4. Remove the two screws on the back of the trim panel that hold the HVAC vents and hazard switch assemblies in place.
5. Depress the two plastic tabs that hold the hazard switch, and push the switch out.
6. Push the new switch in to the panel until the new tabs seat.
7. Reinstall the HVAC vents and hazard switch assemblies on the back of the dash trim panel using the two retained screws.
8. Reinstall the dash trim panel using the two retained screws.
BeatnikTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

A couple of questions have been asked about this fix recently, so I thought I would give this post a bump.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
cmshort
AF Newbie

Re: How To: Blinker/Flasher/Hazard lights work intermittently

I think my hazard switch is bad, but my turn signals and hazard lights still work all of the time. I have just noticed the clicking noise and can feel the click by putting my hand on the hazard light button on the dash. Does this sound like the hazard switch?
cmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
jnicol
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem w/ 2001 malibu. Directional lights worked only intermittently ( only when the flasher was clicking randomly). Took the car to dealer, since the flasher is incorporated into the hazard light switch. The dealer replaced the otherwise $38 part free of charge, stating that it was under recall.
Its been about a month and the directional lights work, though occasionally I hear a few abherent clicks from the flasher unit.
I'd check with your dealers service, first before replacing the directional control unit in the steering column.
jnicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

I just received my letter from GM about this issue on my 1999. The switch is not under recall but it said that if my switch failed at any time before 10 years from the original purchase date or 150k miles, whichever comes first, they will replace it free of charge.

They also said that if I had paid to have this done, or did it myself, they would reimburse me with proper documentation.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

Bump, due to the recent flurry of questions.

If GM is not willing to fix this under warranty, this will assist you in doing it yourself.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
cangryman
AF Newbie

where I can buy it ???? can't wait three more weeks for this service to be done... guys tell me they're busy and the shop is 3/4 empty
cangryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
ShadeTreeBill
AF Newbie

As far as I can tell, this part is only available from a dealer. I bought mine at the local dealer for about $25, and replaced it in about an hour total.

In addition to the excellent instructions above, I noted that my (wife's) car (2002 Malibu) has the dash light dimmer on the left end of dash panel that also has to be disconnected. Also watch the two clips on the ends of the two long plastic tabs that extend under the central instrument cluster (tach and speedo) as they will hang up when being pulled out. They could pop off the ends of the tabs, and end up somewhere down in the dash....

All in all, great to put this very easy, yet really annoying (and potentially dangerous) problem to bed.

Thanks to all...

shade tree mechanic - an amateur or otherwise marginally competent mechanic who primarily works on cars out back under a "shade tree" which serves both to provide a cool place to work, and a handy tree limb to attach the block and tackle to remove the engine.
ShadeTreeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
2000oldsalero
AF Newbie

You know pictures would improve this site 100%. I've got the instrument bezel off, where are the two screws on back of the trim panel holding the HVAC and Emergency flasher in? I only see one from the instrument side.
TIA
2000oldsalero is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu