Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
DMaxx
AF Newbie

Re: What's your mileage?

1100 miles city driving... Driver Info Center says 22.4 mpg while my "calculator at the gas pump" method says 22.0 mpg.
A/C ALWAYS on... summer in Southern Cal.
DMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:31 AM   #17
wpbharry
AF Regular

This week I'm averaging 23, in a mix of city/highway. Just over 500 miles on the car. Like most cars, the mileage is getting better as the miles accumulate.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #18
DMaxx
AF Newbie

We are taking a few days off and driving highway for a good stint. We'll see what some combined driving does. We are going to San Diego, so I don't expect to see temps higher than the 80's... meaning the AC probably won't be working as hard and contribute to better fuel economy.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:13 PM   #19
malibuupdate
AF Newbie

Talking very nice

2004 3.5L. I just took a trip to the Outer Banks(~1600miles), set the MPG meter beforehand and ended up getting 35.3mpg for the whole trip. My old '97 used to only get around 27mpg tops on the highway, I don't know how Chevy did it!
malibuupdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #20
johnholl
AF Regular

I get about double on the interstate highways as i do around town 20 \ 35....
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:04 AM   #21
DMaxx
AF Newbie

Total highway miles was 120 and city driving was 217. Averaged 21.74 mpg. Better than the 17 mpg my truck use to do.
We couldn't believe the traffic... even drove in normal work traffic (bumper to bumper) on the interstate. Truely, we probably had about 80-90 miles of open (70 mph) driving which showed from 32.5 to 35.7 mpg... it was hilly. The rest of the time was 0-35 mph around town. A/C was running all the time.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #22
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

I always get good milage in mine. I have a '01 LS 3.1L with 49,000. In the city I average around 26.5 and on the highway it is usually right at 29.7-29.9. I would not really reccomend using cruise control because when you go over an overpass, the cruise wants to keep the car at that exact milage so it will increase throttle as much as it can eventually if it needs to it will shift out of over drive. If you are on a flat open highway without very many hills then it would be beneficial. Hope you guys figure out why y'all mileage is so poor.
gapboi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:42 PM   #23
DMaxx
AF Newbie

I'd venture to say the bumper to bumper city and highway driving is well beyond Chevy's responsibility... bet ANY car in the same situation would suffer as well. With 1140 miles clocked so far, 32 to 35mpg on open highway with a 3.5 litre 200HP V6. I'd hardly call that poor.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
epete
AF Newbie

I just purchased a 00 malibu last week, and on a full tank I got 260 miles mostly highway miles with cruise control and no a/c. As for being in town I can almost watch the tank drain. I really haven't experimented with the milage much. I was just curious if a k&n filter would do much along with making sure the fuel filter was in good shape, and then puting a fuel injector cleaner in the tank. I'm also use to a geo metro so it feels like this malibu is an extreme gas hog.
epete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #25
treeman5
AF Regular

I've actually just gotten done testing fuel economy on my '01. Since I drive about 100 miles a day, it's very important to me so I pulled out all the stops. After each change, I ran 10 tanks of gas and took the average of them all. I do almost all Interstate driving but because it's the Interstate, I get alot of stop and go traffic, usually on the way home. Here are my results:

Before testing: 23.2 mpg

After tune-up (@ 60K miles, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV and O2 sensors): 25.2 mpg

With K&N filter: 26.1 mpg (noticeable increase of accel. on highway also)

With "tornado" intake & exhaust add-ons: Still same mpg but noticeable increase in accel. both highway & city and slight decrease in idle RPMs

with synthetic oil: same mpg but car runs quieter and smoother at all RPMs

Above was all tested with regular gas. Then I tried different grades of gas. All from the same Amoco station:

Regular gas: 26.1 mpg

Mid-grade gas: 26.0 mpg

Premium gas: 25.2 mpg

So there ya go...best gas mileage is regular gas, tuned up and with a K&N filter. And keep an eye on tire pressure...I have noticed it can make a difference of as much as .5 mpg!
treeman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #26
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

I just drove my '01 with the 3.1 from Texas to Georgia and back again. We had four people in the car plus all of our luggage. One of the passengers was female so she had more luggage than the three of us combined. I averaged to about 28.86 miles to the gallon. That was with the A/C on not really using cruise averaging about 85-90 MPH. Car did great except the back end was sitting low and almost bottoming out on dips.

Just a note I read that it has a 15 gallon tank, my gauge reads empty (below the red line) after using 12.5 gallons? Should I try to get the whole 14 or 15 out ?

PS: Whats with the 112 MPH speed limiter. Gonna have to get rid of that thing.
gapboi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 AM   #27
jyot soni
AF Regular

Question good gas milage

i have 2003 malibu ls with every option available with 3.1 L V6. so far it has been trouble free. i am averaging about 21-23 MPG in combined city/ higway driving with about 60/40 percent respectively. the worst one was 20.13 and the best one was 25.70.it has about 15K miles on board. here are some of the websites where u can get some tips to save gas
www.howtoadvice.com/savinggas
http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/gassavingtips.htm
hopefully this will help u avoid the painful experiences at pump.
jyot soni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:08 AM   #28
sparkn
AF Newbie

Man, this thread is old, but I have some interesting news that I found out.

GM, or any other car manufacturer does not set the gas mileage for the Monroney(sp?) sticker. The EPA does. The EPA doesn't even test drive these cars. Gas mileage is strickly a numbers game and the data used for calculating gas mileage comes from ancient information. By law, a manufacturer cannot state gas mileage better than the EPA, but they are allowed to state lower. What manufacturer in their right mind would state lower when the EPA is giving them a freebie?

However, I found a good site that does do gas tests in their vehicle assesment. That is http://auto.consumerguide.com . This is the fairest assessment I could find. They find the 2005 malibu between 20-24 mpg for 2005. Read about it here http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/38092

I was sorely upset with my Malibu looking for anything wrong until I read the true gas mileage expectations. I was looking for everything and anything that may be wrong. Good news is I found a couple things wrong. Bad news is the gas mileage still sucks.
sparkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #29
treeman5
AF Regular

This is somewhat true...I just saw a news clip a few days back on Hybrids. People are complaining that they're not getting the mileage that is being reported. The EPA does actually test the vehicles...unfortunately, they do it in a garage somewhere, on a dyno where the load is static and the vehicle doesn't actually move, only the drive tires. A car manufacturer may use the EPA rating OR their own rating, whichever is higher (provided they can prove their test results to the EPA).
treeman5 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu