Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #16
norine62
AF Newbie

Here's a wierd twist to the story... I had the same symptoms, 1 and 2 not working, then 3, 4, 5 also died. I followed all the directions above. Still have a problem with not-working-ness (as before). HGowever, in the (very) brief time it worked, 1 and 2 were back. Now its mostly intermittent, leaning towards not working at all (it'll be on for 10 seconds or so, then fades out till its completely shut down, then its off for a few minutes, then repeats the process).

I've also replaced the relay under the hood. I have a feeling the blower is next. Thoughts?

norine62
norine62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 PM   #17
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Re: Heat/AC Fans broken!

I'd also put my money on the squirrel cage bearings.
bearcatdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #18
goofy4467
AF Newbie

There not all bad, they have produced a whole lot of Malibus (it is one of the top sellers)and I've put 160,000+ miles on one without a major problem. Every manuf. has problems even honda and toyota and by the way I put 320,000 miles on a Gm product and I dont work for them.
goofy4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
scurvy
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Beatnik. I've been suffering without a/c all last summer in Florida due to the dealer and a local repair shop telling me this repair would take 8.1 hours and cost $400 - $700. Can you believe he actually said 8.1 hrs?!?
Anyway, I'll be working on this over the weekend.
Thanks again.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #20
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

You are welcome, but you may want to look here instead:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=324040

I think I added information that will help such as socket sizes, part numbers, etc.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
vsingh1661
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatnikTermite
You will need: 1/4" Socket set, universal joint, patience.

1. Remove the plastic cover from the underside of the passenger dash. (Four screws with socket set) Note how the two air ducts on the left and top are connected, and how the other cover piece is connected to the piece you are removing. This is helpful when you go to reinstall it.
2. Slide the black hanging module to the right and pull it down carefully. push it to the right side being careful not to damage the wires.
3. Remove the blower motor power cable located on the forward side of the blower.
4. Remove the jumper cable link to the bad resistor located on the resistor near the forward side of the blower.
5. Remove the blower motor. (Three screws with socket set) You mat not need to do this, but it helps give you some room to work, and lets you see the resistor before proceeding.
6. Look in the open hole from the blower toward the fire wall to see the green resistor that looks like a computer board. Study it; Get to know it; Cause from here on out you will hate it.
7. Remove the two screws. This seems simple enough. Wrong. (This is where you might need the U-joint on your socket set and the patience)
8. Install new resistor. Mine was $19 at Carquest, and looks different than the original. It is longer, and black not green. (again: Two screws, U-joint, patience)
9. Install Blower motor using three retained screws if you removed it.
10. Connect the blower motor power, and the resistor jumper.
11. Test the blower fan settings, and smile.
12. Align and push the Module up into the slot and slide it to the left.
13. Install the cover using four retained screws. This is where it helped to pay attention to the ducts and the other cover.

That's it. It is an easy job, that takes a long time. I screwed around with mine for over an hour. Most of the time was wasted on the resistor's two screws. This is why I suggest a 1/4" socket set. I think I wasted a lot of time with the U-joint and reducer on my 3/8" set. You will also have a backache after this since you spent an hour laying ofer the seat bottom and the door jamb.
good detail explanation. I have a 1998 Malibu, 2 years ago I replaced the resistor myself, took me about half an hour, one beer, a little patience and came out a bit more flexible withoput any back ache. Piece a cake. Patience needed and the right tools as described above.
vsingh1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #22
johnschmitt
AF Newbie

"I've also replaced the relay under the hood. I have a feeling the blower is next. Thoughts?

norine62"

That was my problem. I would check all the associated wires around the blower motor with a voltmeter first to be sure, but that sounds like what it is. 1-4 run through the resistor and the relay, 5 doesn't go through the resistor. That's why it's unlikely to lose all of them if the fuse, relay, and motor are all good.

Just be sure wherever you go for the part they give you the right one. I went to several different parts stores and finally got something that at least fit and would work at napa. They ususally come with a good amount of wire and butt connectors on them. The squirrel cage was half the height on the ones from advance and autozone(s).

Last edited by johnschmitt; 05-26-2006 at 03:29 PM.
johnschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #23
larpierre
AF Newbie

Thank for all
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #24
what!
AF Newbie

What? Try this,
I just did it today on a 2002 malibu
Dont try the previouse posted tech!

First: http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl629a-lib.htm
then:http://www.2carpros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98638

OK:
so you see the second clip behind the blower motorm THAT is the Blower motor resistor! and the two screws that hold it in place, that all you need to know.

second: remove the 3 screws that hold the lower panel in place. That would be the botom panel in the pasenger foot well, below the glove box. You can reference the Previous Instructions to do this.

Stop: Do not remove the Blower motor!

Third: Do remove the plugs for the Blower Motor and It resister, a total of 2 electrial plugs.

Fourth: Pull back the carpet carefully, it is tucked under the right outside wall near the door hinge, just pull it free carefully. fold the carpet back over its self and towards the passenger seat, this will expose more area to work under.

Fifth: Take a tool, i used a socket ( i dont remember what size ) and attached it to a Flex handle driver ( a socket wrench with a head that can rotate like your knee ) or use a socket style screw driver with a universal joint at the end.
Remove the screws.

Sixth: attach the new resistor, and reverse directions to complete reassembly.

Its quick once you get familiar with it.
I could do it in 15 minutes if i hade to do it again, The other way listed in the thread did not work on my 2002 malibu, god bless,
what! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
malibublue
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Heat/AC Fans broken!

Between the posts provided by Beatnik and What!, I was able to replace the resistor and fix this problem!

For my '01 Malibu LS, I needed a lone 7/32" socket to remove the screws for the blower motor and resistor. As noted, the screw closest to the firewall for the resistor will be the most difficult part of this job.

THANK YOU!
malibublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #26
slls
AF Regular

For the forward screw cut the insulation 1 inch across the top and 2 inches down on each side, fold down.There is now room to get at the firewall screw, then just push the insulation back in place.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote