Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #31
usmailman956
AF Newbie

Re: A/C problem with 1999 malibu

The control head(the dash unit) is the problem there is a post somewhere that details the procedure for fixing the control head or it can be replaced it just snaps into dash and then wired up. Had mine replaced 2 times under warranty on my 03 ls. This is a common problem with malibus
usmailman956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 AM   #32
wade623
AF Regular

mine had the same problem so i took it out and cleadit and put it back together but now the control for where the fan blows does not seem to work it only blows ont the head and feet setting does anybody kno y
wade623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #33
horndawg54
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoles
just wondering if any body knows were the control module is and how hard it is to replace it. any help would be greatly app.
The control module is the part with the blower switch, temp control, air direction know. it also has the rear defrost button and AC button.

easy to relplace. pull the plastic bezel surrounding the radio, and AC. 2 screws let it come out, and their are four harness connectors on the back.

I then took my unit apart piece by piece. Cleaned each moving part, knob and contact with spray contact cleaner. The I noticed these little copper connectors on the left and right knob that need to come in contact with the computer board. Since I had notice that pulling on the fan switch fixed my AC, I realized that by pulling gently on these copper connectors, would make a better connection just like I had been doing on the blower knob.

See the response in this thread that show detail web site on how to remove and clean the control uit.
horndawg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #34
horndawg54
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_malibu
Sounds like a recall dont you think? My '98 is doing it too and it was replaced in 01. That one too does the blinky blinky on off.

LAW SUIT!!!!!
It seems almost universal, along with the faulty gas gauge problem, and yes they should recall, bu it is not a safety issue.
horndawg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #35
dsmSpidey
AF Newbie

Does anybody think this could also cause the AC fuse to blow? The 10A one in the under-hood fuse box.
dsmSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #36
theosdad
AF Newbie

You need to clean the control head. To do this remove the Dash trim and control head. You do not need to remove the vacuum hoses. Carefully open the cotrol head. You should then see the circuit board. Under where the fan and blen output knobs are there will be a metal pad. Clean this with a pencil eraser. Reassemble and all should be well. I did this on my 1999 Malibu and it worked great.
theosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #37
moon03
AF Newbie

I just bought a 2000 Malibu and was told the a/c didn't work so when I got it home I tried it and wow cold air. now it is doing exactally as described in several posts here. I play with the switches and buttons and sometimes it comes back. I was ready to get a used replacement but came here and found this thread, I am not afraid to look past the first page of posts for similar problems. I will get around to cleaning the contacts soon and have a printed copy of the instructions. (wish I was near the author's shop)
moon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #38
PTG1212
AF Regular

It's actually a pretty easy fix. I did it about 4-5 weeks ago and it's been working great.

I used a pencil eraser, then a cotton swab with alcohol then put some graphite, using a pencil, on the contact pads. The only problem I had is that one of the plastic stubs that holds the fastener for the fascia piece broke. I glued it and it seems to have held. Not a big deal. Everything is held tight.

Whole process took no longer than 20 minutes. Pop the little piece off around the ignition key first. The fasteners for the larger fascia piece that covers the whole center area are as follows. Two near the ignition key area, one upper RHS, one lower LHS and RHS.

The circuit board is held in by two small clips at the top and bottom of the board. Press these in and the board comes right out.

You don't have to remove the vacuum and other connectors. The fix can be done while it's connected.
PTG1212 is offline   Reply With Quote