Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Comments on 2008 Malibu ?

Received an email from Chevy announcing the Fall release of the 2008 Malibu. Here is a link to the site they sent me to:http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/prelaunch/
What are you're thoughts/comments on this car?
I like the styling much better than the current models. I especially like the 18" wheels. Do you think this car will sell well and improve GM's image any which has been failing in the past few years?

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
wpbharry
AF Regular

Re: Comments on 2008 Malibu ?

There've been a TON of articles about the '08 Mali all over the 'Net in the last 2-3 weeks. I also downloaded the complete Ordering Guide to see the standard and optional equipment. It begins production on 10/15 and the official on-sale date is 11/2.

It looks better than the current car (both in terms of looks and content).

But will it save GM? Fat chance. The competition is HOT, and an all-new Accord just debuted this week. Chevy will be putting both an '08 Camry and an '08 Accord in its showrooms to compare with the new Mali. Should prove interesting.

The major issue with the '08 Mali will be lack of Bluetooth and Nav. I know - I sold Chevys for the first 6 months of this year and lost a ton of potential customers over those 2 issues.

GM insists that OnStar is the be-all, end-all, and in the eyes of consumers, it's not.

Also, although it's not really all-new (basically a last-gen Maxx underneath), stay away from the first model year. I should know - I made the mistake both with my current '04 Maxx and the prior-gen Malibu in the late '90s. Maybe even avoid the '09 Mali....I can see some problem areas by reading the Ordering Guide. Bet the rear sunshade has issues, as an example. And there are other warning flags.

The 6-speed and 4-cylinder combo, much touted earlier in the year, is conspicuously absent in the Guide. Rumor has it that it'll be added mid-year.

A step ahead, but not a leap.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
slls
AF Regular

First off it will cost too much. The key thing is have they done anything about reliability, reliability is what put the Japanese on top.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry

Also, although it's not really all-new (basically a last-gen Maxx underneath), stay away from the first model year. I should know - I made the mistake both with my current '04 Maxx and the prior-gen Malibu in the late '90s. Maybe even avoid the '09 Mali....I can see some problem areas by reading the Ordering Guide. Bet the rear sunshade has issues, as an example. .
It's interesting to see that GM STILL hasn't shaken that problem with first year issues. I remember this goes back as a problem into the 70s. We used to have a saying that "stay away from the first year, and the best ones were the year before they were discontinued or remodeled." It seems that once GM gets all the bugs out they either go and discontinue it or redesign it and start all over again at square one dealing with a new set of issues to take care of. Almost like a cycle : Introduce new model> get problems fixed> discontinue/redesign>get new problems fixed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu