Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #76
chris15706
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememeasures10
Check the things that chris15706 said. also sounds possibly electrical.
Try the connection on your battery. possibly ground. One of my buddys chev did the same thing w/ a loose ground cable on his battery. at least give it a shot.

Yeah i disconnected the battery and hooked it back up. I think im gonna give up and take it to a shop. I just took back the icm and coil pack to auto zone. $200 back from those parts will help me out a little bit. My guess is the new fuel pump i got is just defective. I didnt have these problems until i put the new fuel pump on.
chris15706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #77
jktsail
AF Newbie

89 s10 4.3L dies periodically

Hey guys, I really appreciate this discussion because my 89 s10 4.3 started this same bad attitude stuff this week. At first I thought I just had a clogged fuel filter, but that did not fix it. So yesterday I found this discussion and one of the entries talked about a bad ignition control module and that seemed to fit my scenario. I changed my ICM last night and walah, my truck did not quit on me coming to work this morning. It quit about five times yesterday morning. I'm still a little leary but hopeful that it is fixed. On the funny side, all my coworkers laughed at me for bragging when they saw my truck sitting in the parking lot with a flat tire. Holy crap!
jktsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #78
NovaRod
AF Newbie

That's great that you've seen success. We need to keep this thread alive so others with this problem can look at what everyone's been doing. Thanks for the input!
NovaRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #79
maspoon
AF Regular

Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

just to add my 2 cents... I had a 93 ford taurus and I was told that the ignition module which was mounted on the distributer or in that area was getting 2 hot from engine heat and was cookin them so they moved them to the fire wall on the newer models, so like djg372 and jktsail said if there is an ignition module on your trucks and it is in, on or near the dist or really close to the engine this could be the problem even though my example was a ford... BTW I do own an 89 s-10 pick up. please let me know if this helps anybody
maspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:49 AM   #80
maspoon
AF Regular

stands to reason excess heat and electronics dont work well together
maspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #81
loveatfirstphp
AF Newbie

Security Light

I have a 1996 S10 with a similar problem. I have searched around through various sights and still can't find a specific answer to the problem. The truck was involved in an accident on the front drivers side a few months ago and was driven for a for about 8 weeks before any problems occured. The truck runs fine once started but sometimes it will not start. I have noticed that the security light comes on and have reason to believe that this might be the source of the problem. Does anyone know more about the security light that comes on and how this can be fixed. Thank you in advance.
loveatfirstphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #82
Robk1013
AF Newbie

My 1996 S10 2.2 is doing this exact thing. While driving today the engine cut off after I heard the clicking of the sensors behind the glove box. They were very hot to touch. I am assuming something is causing a high draw voltage wise or perhaps a bad ground. Could it be the oil pressure/fuel pump sensor causing it?

Thanks for all the great input so far guys...I like to avoid high repair bills

Rob
Robk1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #83
VTsonoma
AF Newbie

I've had no luck with this problem on my truck. I thought for sure I fixed it by replacing the ignition coils and ign control module because one of the coils was cracked and deformed. No such luck....I ended up stuck 15 miles from home for an hour untill I got a tow from a friend. As soon as I got home the thing started and ran fine! wtf
VTsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #84
chris15706
AF Regular

I replaced the fuel pump on mine and that fixed the problem. The new fuel pump i got from the dealer was defective.
chris15706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #85
Cam1959
AF Regular

wire connectors that feed coil were casue of similar probs for me. cleaned male tabs that wrere rusty and put on new tight female connectors. fixed.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #86
danh0ward
AF Newbie

hello friends, my 98 s-10 is doing the same thing. this morning it ran fine. at lunch it ran fine. but at like 6:30 pm I noticed some hesitation leaving work. ran fine on the highway but when I got to the stop sign it fell flat on on its face. I read some threads on here and checked that I had gas since I was at 1/4 tank. I cranked out over and it fired up only to sputter out. so I put a gallon of gas in it and it started right up. drove to the gas station and it stalled as I pulled up to the pump. I topped off the tank and concluded that I indeed had fuel and was unable to restart. the only thing unusual is that I normally remote start the truck to warm it up, today I just got in and went. any thoughts?
danh0ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #87
harleypanrider
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to harleypanrider

hi all boy was i glad to find this thread a few weks ago i bought a 96 s10 truck from a sweet old lady who insisted all was fine with truck just had to many cars but made me sighn a bill of sale saying absolutely sold a s is ha ha anyway i rtrailered it home drped the oil greased put 3 new u joints in fuel filter air filter plugs and wires bla bla bla llet it sit outside and run while i went in the house 4 coffee came out and it ad died tryed to start and it poped right off servise engine soon light was on then it died again clicking noise going on behind glove box as others have reported i turned key on and off a few tmes and it started ran it into advanced and they hooked it up didnt come back with any codes but light was not on then anyway drove home it seem fine when a mile away from home i really stomped on it and it died about 5 minutes of turning key on and off it started drove it home it seemed fine but died while idleing so walked away and read the posts here so i went to chevy garage and asked about oil sensor on my 96 2.2 he looked at wiring scematic and said it was absolutely tied into the fuel delivery system so i ordered the sensor 60 bucks ii cheaped out and cut a impact socket in half and welded a pipe in between and the weld caught on somthin and cocked and broke my sensor so i called stutavants and they handled delco sensors theres was 60 bucks with the special socket i should note that when it would not start i did not have any voltage at the fuel pump and when it did run i also shook the wires at the pump around when it was running as somebody here sugested and no change so anyway i replased sensor and its been good hree days now
harleypanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #88
harleypanrider
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to harleypanrider

mine has been drove every day since my last post after replasing oil pressure sensor no stalling runs like a top
harleypanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #89
mattpaulvick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaRod View Post
xtremetrk is on to something. Look at two things here: is the oil pressure dropping or is the oil pressure good and the pressure switch defective?
is this the problem? im haveing trouble starting a new thread but i need help also,,, if anyone can help me

help please
i do not know how to make a new thread nor search i havent ever did this before but if i had help im pretty sure ill catch on quick. starts 1st crank runs gas pedel works revs up, then like 5 secs after reving its starts stalling let off the gas it stops stalling and idels fine. give it gas it dies, a little gas makes it rev high u have to find the right spot where it can do it but its like if u give just 1/16 to much it dies if you let it idle its fine. then after that it starts running ruff and kills.... while its doing all that the fuel pump is ZZZZZZZZZing. the whole time.. but it always did that ever scine i bought the new one @ auto zone about 1 1/2 years ago.. 2=cd crank.... starts up will not rev up. idels for 2 min then shuts off...... 3rd crank.....idles for 1 min.. 4th crank 45... then etc.... then wants to start but not.. bad fuel?:bang head:
mattpaulvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #90
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpaulvick View Post
is this the problem? im haveing trouble starting a new thread but i need help also,,, if anyone can help me

help please
i do not know how to make a new thread nor search i havent ever did this before but if i had help im pretty sure ill catch on quick. starts 1st crank runs gas pedel works revs up, then like 5 secs after reving its starts stalling let off the gas it stops stalling and idels fine. give it gas it dies, a little gas makes it rev high u have to find the right spot where it can do it but its like if u give just 1/16 to much it dies if you let it idle its fine. then after that it starts running ruff and kills.... while its doing all that the fuel pump is ZZZZZZZZZing. the whole time.. but it always did that ever scine i bought the new one @ auto zone about 1 1/2 years ago.. 2=cd crank.... starts up will not rev up. idels for 2 min then shuts off...... 3rd crank.....idles for 1 min.. 4th crank 45... then etc.... then wants to start but not.. bad fuel?:bang head:
TO GET A NEW THREAD STARTED.

Go the chev forum and then go to S10 forum and look at the top left side for the NEW THREAD BUTTON.

Click on it and lgive us your info and problem and some one will help.