Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
scott17818
AF Newbie

new trans dipstick tube leaks

a co-worker brought over a 2000 chevy S-10 v6 automatic 4x4 with a leaking/broken dipstick tube. he bought the new tube/gasket & 6 quarts of auto fluid, and i told him to get a trans filter & gasket since I may need to remove the pan to get the old end of the dipstick tube out.

I was able to get it all out, and get the new tube in fishing it around the rear of the block for a few minutes. I got everything all seated up the tube had to be tapped in with a rubber mallet from the topside.

I checked the tube & seemed to have a nice seal. I replaced the mount bolt, put the filter & pan back on. filled it up & started up the truck.. rowed through the gears. seemed just fine until I looked under the truck. Almost all the ATF I had put in, on the floor.

I attempted to pull the tube & tried to put a little red RTV on the sealing grommet, on the outside & inside. I cleaned the tube & all other surfaces. same results...

im stumped other than having the owner buy a lokar tube for $100, or possibly figure out how to adapt the tube to a compression fitting that bolts in to the trans .750 hole...
scott17818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
scott17818
AF Newbie

Re: new trans dipstick tube leaks

I installed a new dipstick tube & grommet in a 200 chevy S-10 auto trans.. after closer inspection I noticed they had used black rtv from the factory. the stuff was all crusty & stuck to the sides of the old grommet & inside the hole of the trans. so I took a die grinder very gently to the hole of the transmission removed as much of the old rtv as possible. and slid in the new grommet with a good coating of red rtv on the ribs as that is what I had at the time. I sealed everything up & put the new dipstick tube back in. replaced the bolt in the dipstick tube, bolted up the pan, and left it to sit for the night..

co-worker called me up this morning saying he had to move the truck to get to his trailer & it was leaking like a sive... I am quite literally pissed off at this truck, I cannot understand why it is leaking so badly & not sealing.. what else can I do?
scott17818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: new trans dipstick tube leaks

Do you actually see the fluid coming out of the area around the grommet?
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10