Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Pi System 2 Dash Issues / Repairs

I have been having problems with getting all major functions of the PI dash up and running. Not so much of a biggie if you live in the States as you have PI support available, but on the other side of the world...............well thats another story!!

The problems the dash was showing were erratic tacho operation and inconsistent scroll ability between modes. I thought that this may have been caused by a spike generated by the HEIU that I had fitted to my car to get my new engine up and running. I was on the verge of ditching the PI and going analogue but thought there may be another way.

Luckily I was able to find a switched on local electrical guru who (seemingly easily) found faults in both the RPM box and the main dash unit. The RPM box had a blown diode and was not functioning at all and the main dash unit had faulty capacitors on the both the mode and channel button circuits.

Cost for repairs was less than 25% of cost for a PI 'Service' (USD$450) and all is now well. If you have similar issues, try to track down an electrical guru as well and save yourself some $$.

As it turns out I have now hooked the RPM signal from the MSD 6AL2 direct to the dash unit via the purple wire (2) on the RPM signal connector loom. Works fine.

So now its dyno time..............!!
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NZGTRA17 For This Useful Post:
PanozDuke (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
NZracer21
AF Newbie

Re: Pi System 2 Dash Issues / Repairs

Hi,
I am currently having some issues with my PI system 2 dash regarding the RPM display on my dash and came accross this forum.

Am just wondering where abouts in NZ you are or who the Electrical guru was who found the issues??

Any info would be greatly apprieciated.

Brent.
NZracer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZracer21 View Post
Hi,
I am currently having some issues with my PI system 2 dash regarding the RPM display on my dash and came accross this forum.

Am just wondering where abouts in NZ you are or who the Electrical guru was who found the issues??

Any info would be greatly apprieciated.

Brent.
Brent, have sent you my mobile number via PM. I am in Auckland.

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Panoz60
AF Regular

Kel,

I have the entire PI Dash system out of my car. I replaced it in favor of Spek gauges. As near as I can tell, it was working fine when I pulled it out. Of course, all I did was load the car up at Wirewheel across the state and drive off the trailer and into the shop when I got home. It seemed to be working fine. I tried to sell it, but nobody seemed really interested. It's literally sitting in a box under my work bench, along with all the sensors. Since the only folks who seem interested in these dashes are Panoz drivers, I'll sell it to you for next to nothing. Like-shipping cost plus some beer money!

PM me if you're interested.

PS, I'm jealous of you. I LOVE the V8 Supercars. Doubt I'll ever see a race in person. Have you? Winterbottom is my hero!
Panoz GTRA, Chassis #10
Panoz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz60 View Post
Kel,

I have the entire PI Dash system out of my car. I replaced it in favor of Spek gauges. As near as I can tell, it was working fine when I pulled it out. Of course, all I did was load the car up at Wirewheel across the state and drive off the trailer and into the shop when I got home. It seemed to be working fine. I tried to sell it, but nobody seemed really interested. It's literally sitting in a box under my work bench, along with all the sensors. Since the only folks who seem interested in these dashes are Panoz drivers, I'll sell it to you for next to nothing. Like-shipping cost plus some beer money!

PM me if you're interested.

PS, I'm jealous of you. I LOVE the V8 Supercars. Doubt I'll ever see a race in person. Have you? Winterbottom is my hero!
Mark, really appreciate the offer on the PI Dash. I actually have a spare with all sensors from a previous similar offer. Will keep in touch on this though as there may be another person interested in NZ per above question to me.

Yes, have seen V8 Supercars many times. There are a number privately owned in NZ so they run at many race meetings that we go to. You may have seen that they are changing to a spec space frame chassis and that Nissan and Mercedes are joining the fray. I am hoping that 2013 will be an amazing season for the class but will depend on how the parity side of things pans out with Holden Vs Ford Vs the cammers!! I have been a Shane Van Gisbergen fan (kiwi driver in a kiwi owned team) but he is taking a sabatical unfortunately.

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS