Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
mlh7933
AF Newbie

Turn signal multi-function switch

My wife has a 01 Alero that sounds like the turn signal clicks all the time. I have read that the MFS could be the problem. Where is this switch at and how does one get to it? From reading other posts, sounds like I need to try to clean it out to see if that helps. thanks for any help

mlh
mlh7933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Iflylow
AF Regular

Re: Turn signal multi-function switch

The MFS is in the steering column, the turn signal stalk is part of it. I'm not sure how to get it out, but someone else here will know.
You might also consider the hazard light switch, on the dash. The flasher and clicker for the turn signals is inside the hazard light switch, and they are a common failure point on your year of Alero. There is a recall out for them, the dealer will replace it free if you are within the correct VIN range.
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Cleaning the MFS has done the trick for most of us that had the annoying clicking sound but with everything such as the hazards and signals working as a stipulation. Money saver versus replacement of the part since it is expensive. Basically after it is removed you clean it with electrical contact cleaner and apply dielectric silicone contact grease.

Easy to remove. Steering wheel does not need removal. Disconnect battery negative for safety and to disarm the drivers air bag module. Let sit at least 10 minutes before starting the job. Remove the plastic dash bezel (two screws) and disconnect connector to the odometer reset button. This step is needed for clearance to get the upper plastic steering column cover off. Then remove both upper and lower plastic steering column housings. By removing the Torx screws undeneath and separating the two plastic parts. You'll need to do some pulling to get the parts separated. You can leave the bottom cover on the steering column. Remove the top cover completely. Then remove MFS by removing two screws from the top and then the 3 electrical connectors on the back. But be sure to compress the spring loaded horn contact from clock spring assembly and then lift MFS up and out. IMPORTANT: Installation is reverse but be careful and compress the spring loaded horn contact and make sure it seats properly on the clock spring before tightening down the MFS otherwise you will have a mess on your hands. Good luck.

MFS Job - 2002 Olds Alero GL2

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
mlh7933
AF Newbie

BNaylor, thanks for the instructions. Where does one get this silicone contact grease? And you say clean it, where exactly would I use the cleaner and new contact grease on the switch? I am not that mechanical, but it doesnt sound that bad. The help is appreciated. thanks again

mlh
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
BNaylor
AF Moderator

You're welcome. I got mine from an electronics supplier but you can use the same dielectric silicone for spark plug wires found at various auto parts stores. I would not do any disassembly of the switch. Pic #1 shows the area to spray the electrical contact cleaner. You can see the various holes on the backside of the MFS. Do only the side where the turn signal switch part is. Spray enough to get the old stuff out, shake any residual cleaner out and let dry for awhile. Then insert the new dielectric silicone via the holes.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 01-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
mlh7933
AF Newbie

Greatly appreciate the help. Its nice to have people who are willing to help others with their car issues.
This has been a great web site for me to reference.

mlh
Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
MrCheapGuy
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help. We were able to get the one out of this 2004 Alero without any issues. The only thing I would add is that you actually have to take the switch apart by removing the 8 or so T10 torx screws. Inside the switch is where the contacts and grease needs to be cleaned up and replaced. Also be careful not to lose the spring that pops up at you when you remove the top. I just cleaned the outside the first time and obviously that didn't solve the problem. Took me all of 5 minutes to get it out the second time. 10 minutes to clean and replace the grease from the inside of the switch...and maybe 5 to get it back in. WORKS GREAT!! I think that this steps was probably obvious to some...not to me i guess. Definitely not complaining tho... Thank you guys soooooooo much.
MrCheapGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
gmjosey
AF Newbie

To : BNaylor

I have exposed the wire connector to the odometer reset button. I have pulled on it,but it doesn't come apart.What am I missing ? I don't want to damage it so ,maybe, I'm not pulling hard enough. Or is there some release mechanism I'm not seeing ?
gmjosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjosey View Post
To : BNaylor

I have exposed the wire connector to the odometer reset button. I have pulled on it,but it doesn't come apart.What am I missing ? I don't want to damage it so ,maybe, I'm not pulling hard enough. Or is there some release mechanism I'm not seeing ?
Welcome to AF.

The connector to the odometer reset button should come off so you can get the plastic IP bezel off. Look for a plastic retainer that just about all GM connectors have and then pull on the connector but pull or push in on the retainer first.

When you get the connector off the trip mileage part of the odometer settings will reset to zero but thats no big deal.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 07-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
JsnWin
AF Newbie

My 02 was doing the same thing; working sometimes and then leaving me hanging on a 40 mph street in 5:00 traffic. My buddy told me to take it apart and clean it. That something about the dielectric grease.... I dunno if that was the cause, but taking a file and a wire brush to the contacts and contact areas was definitely the cure. Wipe off all pieces-parts and lube it back up with fresh dielectric. Saved me from spending a Benji at Oreilys.

*Dont forget to pay attention to assembly to see where certain pieces must slot in.
**Horn contact must be slightly compressed to seat behind contact ring. Dont bend it like I did! LOL
JsnWin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero