Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 03:52 PM   #1
urasula
AF Regular

rim size and fuel

i'm wondering do bigger rims make the car less fuel efficient comparing to the stock rims?

i dunno if this is right, but i think it would. my reasoning is that bigger rims yields more weight and mass, thus requiring more energy; so using more fuel. what do u guys think?
urasula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:54 PM   #2
Primera-TDLX
AF Regular

That`s right, I noticed a little more fuel consumption, but the bigger problem is the performance. I noticed that, I lost about 5-10 mph in some steep upphils. I went from 185-75-13 to 215-40ZR-17".
But the bether grip and handling is worth it I think!
95 GT Front
95 GT lights
95 Turn signals front
95 SRi instruments
Eye brows
215/40ZR17 Good Year Eagle F1 Tires, 17" Momo GT2
40mm Eibach Lowering kit
Momo shift knob
95 P10e Tinted and Red tail lights, double bubbels on each side
2000 Rear Nissan badge

Kenwood 7080 CD player
Focal PolyGlass 6,5" Front Speakers
JBL POWER 12" and 2x 8"
JBL DECADE T-596 6x9
Phonenix Gold XS4300

DEFA SECURITY SYSTEM
REMOTE CONTROLLED CENTRAL LOCK

Primera-TDLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 01:02 AM   #3
FlossinPrimera
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to FlossinPrimera Send a message via AIM to FlossinPrimera Send a message via Yahoo to FlossinPrimera
Actually getting bigger wheels doesn't neccesarly add weight, if you buy quality wheels. Tires are very heavy, a good wheel should weigh no more than 20lbs. If the wheel is heavier than 20lbs don't buy it. Probably the reason for the change in fuel mileage is that the aftermarked wheel tire combo is shorter than the factory combo which translates into a higher RPM for any given speed which increases fuel consumption and the fact that the tire is wider means that there is greater rolling resistance (sorry I'm a physics guy). Not to mention the fact that because of the wider wheel there is greater drag which increases fuel consumption, but in this aspect it is neglagable.

K&N, Enkei Type 11 GML, JVC KD-SH55 Digifine, Pioneer Pear-mica components, 2 12" round things that bang and a 400W amp to make them bang. Coming soon: ACT clutch, new half-shafts, HKS superform springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, $tillen STB, 17" König Toxxins with Yokohama Parada Tires (P215/40R17).

http://gforces.streetracing.org/

"I wish Captian Archer was as much as a racial bigot as Captain Kirk"
-Burt Weed
FlossinPrimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:25 AM   #4
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
Quote:
Originally posted by FlossinPrimera
Actually getting bigger wheels doesn't neccesarly add weight, if you buy quality wheels. Tires are very heavy, a good wheel should weigh no more than 20lbs. If the wheel is heavier than 20lbs don't buy it....
I have to dissagree.

If you want to talk about quality, then the first thing that comes to mind is a strong 3 pc wheel, which about 99.9999% of all 3pc wheels are well over 20lbs.

I can name more than 10 wheels off the top of my head that are less than 20lbs and IN NO WAY are they quality! More than half of wheels I've seen that are under 20lbs ARE HORRIBLE quality and they are susceptable to breaking way more frequently and easier than a heavier 3pc style wheel.

Take for example a very popular manufacturer, Racing Hart. They have both 1pc (lightwieght) and 3pc (heavy!!) wheels, are you trying to tell me the 1pc wheels are better quality cause they're lighter??? You better be kidding.

Performancewise, yes, the lighter wheel does have advantages, but basing your purchase solely on wieght is a big mistake. Materials/contruction/brand reputation comes first...

*end of my rant*
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Dsilver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dsilver Send a message via MSN to Dsilver
Re: rim size and fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by urasula
i'm wondering do bigger rims make the car less fuel efficient comparing to the stock rims?

i dunno if this is right, but i think it would. my reasoning is that bigger rims yields more weight and mass, thus requiring more energy; so using more fuel. what do u guys think?
I would say, ask Grant@TireRack, he is the expert
Dsilver is offline   Reply With Quote