Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
ldp01
AF Newbie

Dealer says I need a new starter?

So my '00 LX470 is in for a new amplifier...got wet and shorted out...anyway, they call me and tell me that they need to replace the starter for $750. The thing started just fine prior to taking it to the dealer.

I've got 76K on it and have read about some people replacing the soleniod contacts on Toyotas for <$20.

Has anyone done this on a LC/LX? If so, any idea what the part number would be for the contacts and where the starter is located? I hear it's on top under the intake manifold...sounds like a pain to get at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ldp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
CPAINTER
AF Newbie

Re: Dealer says I need a new starter?

Sorry for the late reply. I have a 2000 Toyota Landcruiser and the starter went out on it. I paid $900.00 to have it replaced. I was told the starter for my T/Landcruiser is not on the outside of the engine like normal cars, but incased inside of the engine. On an older model car you can change the brush your self, but because I would have had to take a good top portion of my engine apart on my Landcruiser I chose to just have the dealer do it. $750.00 is a good price to have the starter fix. A New Starter will cost you about $250.00 the rest will be labor cost.
CPAINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
ldp01
AF Newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply.

So, I decided to do the job myself. It is a pain since the starter is under the intake manifold. Not only did I do it once, but twice! The first time was to try replacing the starter contacts...got the starter out and lo and behold it was full of water and gunk. I was pissed. Not having a replacement starter and needing the vehicle fixed for a road trip, I put the new contacts in, cleaned the starer up with brake clean and buttoned it back up.

New contacts worked for a day but then the starter just crapped out. Ah-ha, was able to get the exact replacement (rebuilt) starter from my Toyota dealer for $250 with a $30 core. However, the intake gaskets (one time use only) were $60 each time...that sucked.

So I was into the fix for $20 (contacts) $250 + $60 + $60 - $30 (core) for a grand total of $360. Oh well, it works just great now and am pleased at the engineering of Toyota. Yeah, they put the starter in the worst place possible, but removing all the components is super easy...just takes time and a good manual (I've got the factory manuals).

Not like Nissan where you need to be a tetris expert just to work on it...on my wife's maxima, I have to remove the exhaust just to drain the coolant out of the engine block for a routine change. Nothing worse.

Well, thanks for the reply.

-L
ldp01 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470