Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
seanner
AF Newbie

Question No Electrical At Fuse Block. Need Help!

Can someone upload a wiring diagram for this Please!

Make: 1982 Oldsmobile
Model: 98 Regency
Engine: 5.7L Diesel dx block.

Okay, the problem I'm having is yesterday I went out to start the car(ran earlier that day.) 1st I moved the passenger electric seat back a little for a passenger. Then turned the key to the start position(after the wait light went out.) It acted like the batteries had little voltage, I heard three clicks as it tried to turn over (sounded like the starter solenoid didn't have enough to engage.) Then it lost everything electrical; headlights, tail lights, stop lights, dash lights, interior lights, wipers, turn signals, etc. I have power at both batteries, and at the solenoid/relay for the glow plugs (located on the Pass fender well.)

I did test for power at the diagnostic block and had nothing there also.
(supposed to have power at #1 and #4 on it I think with the key on. I have to retest to be sure.)

I haven't gotten a chance to get under the car to test if I have power to the starter or fuseable links from the starter yet. It's raining with a mix of snow outside at the moment.

The only diagram I have is for an 78-80 Olds Omega. I don't know if this is accurate or close.

The fuse block is pretty vague as to what is on each circuit, in the owners manual. Is there a Main Fuse?
(as far as I can tell there is no other fuse blocks than the one under the drivers side dash.)

Any Help Is Appreicated! Thank You!!!!!!
seanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
seanner
AF Newbie

Re: No Electrical At Fuse Block. Need Help!

Well I think it may be solved.
I was unable to find a wiring diagram for the 82 (I'm thinking they didn't make one for that year), but did find one for an 83 from chilton. It should be the closest one.
I found that wiggling the Positive battery(Drivers side Battery) cable going down to the starter solenoid would give me electric past the fuse block. then turned headlights on to test that circuit. I had lights. I then tried the key, and it would all kill again/short.
Fix:
So I disconnected the batteries dropped the starter (to see the solenoid) and the connections were rusty and had been shorting there for a while. The nuts that held the cable on, looked like they had been melted a little like someone had used an arc welder on them. I am going to replace the cable with a new one clean up the hardware and hopefully have power again. Pretty sure that will solve the issue.

I did find that there isn't a main fuse in the fuse block or a spot for one. witch is odd. Or a fuse block under the hood.
Also, I know that GM diesels were experimenting throughout the production of these diesel's and each year they corrected some of the design flaws.
Another note the add-on solenoid on the pass wheelwell is what controls the glow plugs same as a relay.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

I BELIEVE THAT CAR HAS FUSIBLE LINKS IN THE LARGE HARNESS COMING OFF THE STARTER, SHOULD BE IN THE WIRING DIAGRAM. Excuse the caps, wasn't looking as I typed. LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
seanner
AF Newbie

It does have two fusible links that are Y'ed off of the solenoid. I'm assuming that they are for alternator and the ign switch circuits. They both checked out with a test light. I did find that one of them had melted or wore the coating of of the wire though.
I was out trying to put the starter in place until it got too dark out and my arms got too tired. So I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
seanner
AF Newbie

Solved

The old diesel lives to fight another day. It was a shorting batt cable and a fusible link that had got too hot. The wire had lost it's coating. Causing a short.