Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
4-Door Flunky
AF Premium User

I Changed My Fan Clutch!

I'm proud to announce that I successfully installed a new fan clutch on my 85 535!
The car had been heating up while sitting in traffic. Normally operating temperature is a little bit less than halfway across the gauge. It's been getting to 3/4 of the way across the gauge when I'm stuck in traffic, and during those times I've been cranking the heater full blast...even though its been getting to 90 degrees around here.
I finally had enough of that. Also, I was worried that by being too cheap to replace the fan clutch, I'd overheat the motor and be in serious trouble.
I got a fan clutch from a BMW dealer...cost me about $120. I discovered just how difficult it is to get the damn shaft to hold still while I was pushing, slapping, or hitting the 32 mm wrench with a hammer. I finally managed to get it into a bind by putting a 10mm wrench on one of the little bolts holding the pulley to the pump. I put a pair of vice grips on the end of the 10mm wrench, and moved it to where it was binding up against another 10mm bolt while I exerted force on the big 32mm wrench.
After wrestling with it, dropping tools behind the fan shroud, and displaying my knowledge of profanity by swearing in front of the neighborhood children, I finally got it.
It took about an hour from start to finish.
And now, I'm COOL!
Flunky
4-Door Flunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Xotie
AF Newbie

So, did you document the entire experience with hi quality video so the rest of us with viscousless fan clutches can learn without some of the words? Apparently the fan has to be held firm while the nut is removed. I wonder if the my plastic fan is up to the task...? BTW, did you have to remove the radiator? Should you have? Curisously, was the 32mm bolt right or left-hand thread?
I'm getting ready to do the same task - I'm in Las Vegas, and the temp gauge never really goes down, unless the overnight temp is below 90.
Xotie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series