Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
4-Door Flunky
AF Premium User

Help! Car starts, runs for 1 second, dies!

Gentlemen!
After 8 weeks of running beautifully, my 1985 535i refuses to start. I was driving around on my lunch break, and it ran fine. An hour later, I crank the key, it actually runs for a second or two, and then dies.
If this were a carbureted engine, I would say that it was flooding...but I don't know much about fuel injection.
It sounds like if it could just rev up a bit and 'clear its throat' it would run again, but if I step on the gas during the 1 second that it runs, it just dies more quickly.
I've got 1/2 a tank of fuel, and the fact that it runs for even a moment means that it's got spark.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Flunky
4-Door Flunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
webhak
AF Newbie

Re: Help! Car starts, runs for 1 second, dies!

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have a clue as to what it could be since I haven't run into that challenge yet.

Overheating issues seem to be my cup of tea. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
webhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW
Smile Memories . . . . . yuck !@ !#!#@#

Hey 4 Door . . .

I had the same problem with my E36 325i. When I changed motors, it sounded like it wanted to, but it just would'nt go. Come to find out, it was the ECU. Put a new one in and she started.
I also, checked my crank trigger sensor. Try that . . . .it's the cheaper of the two.

I hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK ! ! !

Skycity_BMW
Old 03-31-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
4-Door Flunky
AF Premium User

Thank you for your responses.
I decided to replace the main relay and one of the fuel pump relays. I tried to start it a couple of more times, and it got where it didn't run at all, not even for one second. That made me think it wasn't getting fuel.
My new main relay will be here this afternoon, so I'll know if that's the problem by tonight!
Flunky
Old 03-31-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
4-Door Flunky
AF Premium User

Ok I got my new main relay, and it still didn't run.
My girlfriend stood there holding the hood open (damn those lazy gas-filled struts) while I played with stuff.
I had taken out the fuse for the fuel pump and put in another one from the high-beams. Turns out my substitute fuse was bad, too. Once I got a brand-new fuse for the fuel pump, it started right up.
I'm looking at the bad fuse right now, and it looks fine!
Little jerk...
Flunky
Old 04-02-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
kidwired
AF Newbie

Re: Help! Car starts, runs for 1 second, dies!

ahh an EZ fix, it sounded like you werent getting fuel pressure. The CSV was dribbling in enuff fuel to start the motor but once that was gone it was outta gas. Glad you found it!
kidwired is offline   Reply With Quote