Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
banana24
AF Newbie

'99 G2500 block heater

Here I've owned this van for almost 14 years and never knew it came with a block heater(while diagnosing my brake problem I noticed the plug/wire bunched up and zip-tied near the brake M/C).

This van has always had a rough time starting in cold temps, at first I thought I just had a weak battery or one without enough cranking amps. While a bought a better battery, it still struggles...at this time I don't know for sure whether it's still a battery issue or somewhere else in the starting system.

Anyway, as to the subject at hand...

I attempted to try out this block heater, I plugged it into an outlet in the garage. I couldn't hear anything(not sure if you should)but just to verify I connected one of those Kill-A-Watt boxes just to see how many watts the heater uses. The Kill-A-Watt showed no power at all coming from the outlet(through extension cord). First thing I thought was the heater popped the breaker as soon as I plugged it in. I checked them all, but none had tripped. Now I tried to figure out where to reset this line...it turns out the outlets in the garage are tripped by a GFCI in the utility-room.

That problem solved I attempted to again check to see how many watts the heater uses by plugging again into the Kill-A-Watt box, hoping it's on long enough to get a reading before it trips the GFCI. I got about 3-5 seconds before it popped, but was able to read about 550w or so.

So is this an issue with the GFCI(550w doesn't seem like a lot, with very little, if anything else, on that circuit)...or more likely a short/other related to the block heater?
banana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: '99 G2500 block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana24 View Post
Here I've owned this van for almost 14 years and never knew it came with a block heater(while diagnosing my brake problem I noticed the plug/wire bunched up and zip-tied near the brake M/C).

This van has always had a rough time starting in cold temps, at first I thought I just had a weak battery or one without enough cranking amps. While a bought a better battery, it still struggles...at this time I don't know for sure whether it's still a battery issue or somewhere else in the starting system.

Anyway, as to the subject at hand...

I attempted to try out this block heater, I plugged it into an outlet in the garage. I couldn't hear anything(not sure if you should)but just to verify I connected one of those Kill-A-Watt boxes just to see how many watts the heater uses. The Kill-A-Watt showed no power at all coming from the outlet(through extension cord). First thing I thought was the heater popped the breaker as soon as I plugged it in. I checked them all, but none had tripped. Now I tried to figure out where to reset this line...it turns out the outlets in the garage are tripped by a GFCI in the utility-room.

That problem solved I attempted to again check to see how many watts the heater uses by plugging again into the Kill-A-Watt box, hoping it's on long enough to get a reading before it trips the GFCI. I got about 3-5 seconds before it popped, but was able to read about 550w or so.

So is this an issue with the GFCI(550w doesn't seem like a lot, with very little, if anything else, on that circuit)...or more likely a short/other related to the block heater?
I would check the wire back to the engine to make sure the wire doesn't have a bare spot. Try a hair dryer on the GFCI circuit if it doesn't blow its probably the heater.
A GFCI monitors the power coming to the circuit and the power going to ground. I tried to hook up a ceiling fan in my computer room so I could operate the fan without the lights. I had to run a separate feed just for the fan as it would trip the GFCI breaker.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana