Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
rodeodad
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rodeodad
2000 Rodeo Bizzare Electrical Short?

I searched the forum for someone with same problem, but came up with nothing that seemed to discuss my problem.
I have a 2000 Rodeo 6 cylinder auto and air.
Today I was 275 miles from home and i cut off my rodeo. When i restarted it, i didn't notice anything. But as i pulled out of the parking lot headed home, i noticed that some accessories worked and others didn't.

Worked: headlights, fuel gauge, speedometer, tach, radio, wipers, cruise. interior lights, door lock.

DID NOT WORK: blinkers, electric windows, air conditioner, air conditioner blower, rear wiper, flashers.

Let me preface this by saying earlier in the week all window switches would operate the window they work on. But the Drivers master switch would not roll down the passenger front window but would roll it up, and it would roll down the driver rear window but would not roll it up. But the switch at each door would roll it up and down. Now nothing works anywhere.

When i noticed the accessories that would not work, i found a parts store and raised my hood. All the corresponding fuses in the panel by the driver door were good.
The a/c 10 amp fuse under the hood was burned out. I replaced and it has not burned out again, but the a/c still does not work. The flasher fuse was burned out and when replaced, it burned out again, signifying some short with flashers, which could affect blinkers, i suppose, but the blinkers flash when the key fob is used to unlock the doors. There is a (big black)relay in the top right corner of the inside drivers panel that is shown to be power windows and a 30 amp fuse with what looks like a resettable fuse link in the lower left corner of the box. I had the resettable fuse link tested and they said it was showing 2-3. They may be bad but all the parts stores here are closed.
I don't know why the a/c does not work. I swapped out the ac relays under the hood but nothing changes, it still did not work. It too was working fine when i turned off the car.
275 miles is a long way home, in the Georgia heat with no a/c, no windows rolled down and only the rear glass open for any time of cooling.
any help would be appreciated. Sorry post is so long, but tried to put out as much info at start to speed up process. Thanks for any help.

1983 Nissan 280zx (1975 280zx sold, 1985 300zx totalled)
1993 Mazda Miata (wife's toy)
2000 Isuzu Rodeo
rodeodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: 2000 Rodeo Bizzare Electrical Short?

Have you ever replaced the Alt? the Battery?

Isuzu do funky things if the battery is shot, or the Alt is not putting out enough current at load (if may be fine at idle).

I would have the battery load tested and then have the alt load tested too.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

Troubleshoot your charging system. I suppose Ryan adequately covered that, though...

When I had a bad alt, the blower fan didn't work. Headlights went dim. Interior lights worked. Radio worked. I didn't check the wipers, signals or A/C, though. Are the battery and brake lights on in the cluster?
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Gizmo42
AF Enthusiast

If you have a trailer wireing harness try disconnecting it. They also do funky things to the electrical when they go bad.

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed
32x11.50-15 BFG T/A KO
3" Lift - Rancho 9000x
Rear No-Slip Locker
Flowmaster 2.25" 50 Series
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
Gizmo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
rodeodad
AF Newbie

I took it to the auto parts store and had battery and alternator checked. All checked out good. The guy there said it may be the Body Control Module going bad. I do not see that in Haynes manual, actually i'm at work and my wife doesnt see it. What can anyone tell ma about the BCM? Are there any relays or fuses in the wiring harness outside of the drivers door and black box under hood? My mechanic suggested ignition switch, but electrical is out of his expertise. Thanks for any help.

2000 Isuzu Rodeo
Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
rodeodad
AF Newbie

I talked to a service man with Isuzu of Valdosta, Ga. He told me that there is not a BCM on the 2000 Rodeo. He also informed me that there is a fuse in the box BC-16 on the schematic, a 15 amp fuse, that controls the a/c, blinkers, power windows, and the rear wiper. So i started pulling every 15 amp fuse in the box. The 15-amp fuse for the electronic ignition was blown. I was looking for fuses that dealt with a/c, turn signals, rear wiper and power windows. My wife said replace every fuse in the box, next time I will listen to her, no more riding about 250 miles with no a/c and no windows to roll down. I thought the electronic ignition would control the starting of the vehicle, not select convenience devices. Oh well, hope this helps someone in the future. Check every fuse in the box, no matter what it says it controls. Thanks for everyones help.

2000 Isuzu Rodeo
Old 05-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for posting your solution!
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I'll add this to the FAQ's.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
jis1974
AF Newbie

My 2000 Passport has the EXACT same problem. However, when I replace the fuse it pops again within minutes. ...at random times, of course, so there's no way to figure what's causing it.
Did you have any lingering problems with the fuses?
jis1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
JamesHickerson
AF Newbie

I am having the exact problem you have described. Same model and year. HELP! I can not locate this BC16 fuse. There is a is large 100amp, but seems to be intact.
JamesHickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
desire4knowledge
AF Newbie

Even though your post was 4 years ago, THANK YOU again and again RODEODAD for this information! We also have a "2000 Isuzu Rodeo". Yesterday, while running errands, important items stopped working (things that WERE in perfect working order the last time the car was on). BLINKERS, POWER WINDOWS, FANS(for a\c/heat), AND the 4 WHEEL DRIVE. We were having trouble with the hazards before this incident. We didn't check the wipers. ***
AFTER reading your solution, we pulled fuses, & sure enough< the same fuse as yours- the engine ignition was blown- even though the ignition had never stopped working. It never had a problem starting, and drove fine, despite the non-working blinkers,etc. Your info saved us a lot of time and money. Thanks so much!

Last edited by desire4knowledge; 02-02-2011 at 05:21 PM.
desire4knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
IsuzuRodeo2001
AF Newbie

So Rodeodad had his experience with this 6 years ago. Happened to me yesterday on my 2001 Rodeo...in Arizona..102degF outside and my A/C blower cuts out and the windows won't roll down. It the process of checking the fuses now. Thanks for posting this!!
IsuzuRodeo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
IsuzuRodeo2001
AF Newbie

Ok, I wasn't sure if this the ignition fuse in BC 16 was in the engine compartment or the passenger compartment (It is in the passenger compartment in the left hand side of the console next to the door). After spending 15 minutes checking all the fuses and relays in the engine compartment (several blowr/AC/Ign) ones there, I checked the fuse chart on the passenger fuse compartment lid. There it was, the 15A ignition fuse. Pulled it. Blown. Replaced it and everything is working again. I wish the transmission skipping in lower gears would be so simple of a fix. Thanks for the tip!!
IsuzuRodeo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
grahm
AF Newbie

I had the same problem turn signals wouldn't work windows wouldn't work blower didn't work 4 wheel drive didn't work. it started when I tried to turn off the 4 wheel drive. I found that the 15 amp fuse inside the cabin for the ignition was blown but when I tried to replace it it kept blowing. I got under the car and cleaned off what I thought was the solenoid that engage the 4 wheel drive because it had oil all over it and then put in a new fuse and now it seems to work fine.
grahm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU