Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 PM   #31
sgraber
AF Newbie

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82KnightRider
I was curious and clicked "Other Cars "catagory and couldnt help but notice this thread.Thats an awsome ride,but does the hood open or is the engine going in the rear?
Both the front and the rear bodywork will clamshell open. Like the Koenigsegg.

The engine is mid-mounted behind the driver but in front of the rear wheels. Where it should be in a proper sports car.

I'm building the car of my dreams...
La Bala - A Lightweight Sports Car for Street and Track
http://www.grabercars.com/
sgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #32
sgraber
AF Newbie

Here's a quick update showing the rear of the car. It's still missing the diffuser and the exhaust in this image.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #33
psychorallyfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to psychorallyfreak Send a message via AIM to psychorallyfreak Send a message via MSN to psychorallyfreak Send a message via Yahoo to psychorallyfreak

Absolutely amazing.
I had daydreamed a time or two about building a rear-engined buggy, simply by looking at the "powerpack" of an old Saab 900.
Because the engine sits on top of the tranny, it would be immensely easy (IMHO) to remove if needed.
What made you think of using the Toyota drivetrain?
psychorallyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #34
sgraber
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychorallyfreak
Absolutely amazing.
I had daydreamed a time or two about building a rear-engined buggy, simply by looking at the "powerpack" of an old Saab 900.
Because the engine sits on top of the tranny, it would be immensely easy (IMHO) to remove if needed.
What made you think of using the Toyota drivetrain?
IMHO the Saab drivetrain is ideal for a Middy. I say go for it!

The Toyota drivetrain that I used is out of an MR2 which is already mid-engine. The reason I used this package is because the shifter mechanism was already solved for mid-engine position. The MR2 engine is actually the Corolla FWD engine, but with a bit different transmission configuration. Now that I know how Toyota did theirs, I think it would be very easy to adapt ANY FWD drivetrain into a mid-engine car. For my part I have decided to offer the car as a kit and already have people buying and planning to use an Integra B18, as well as another plans a GNX with Audi5000 transaxle, as well as another with a ZX12 or R1 bike engine... Oh man, do I have some plans!

Old 02-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #35
Seademon
AF Newbie

That car is awsome!! A mate and i are looking to build something simlar. You mentioned there were some good books on chassis and suspension design, are there any that you would specifically reccomend?

Thanks
-Andrew
Seademon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #36
sgraber
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seademon
That car is awsome!! A mate and i are looking to build something simlar. You mentioned there were some good books on chassis and suspension design, are there any that you would specifically reccomend?

Thanks
-Andrew
Here is a list of books that I have found mention of over the years.

Steves List of Recommended Reading for Car Builders

I haven't read nearly any of these books, but there you have them!

Graber

Last edited by sgraber; 06-14-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #37
Seademon
AF Newbie

Thanx for the list, im sure it will be of great help. When we have something substantial to show im sure you will be the first to see it , your work is a great inspiration to me.
Seademon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #38
Ghetto-z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ghetto-z
What tools did you use, i just finished laying the foundation to extend my garage so i can start a project of somesort. i have built a few go carts from scratch and i really have wanted to step it up a notch, maybe a bigger go kart with a Vtwin motor, 6speed tranny and a suspension for now, but down the road I would LOVE to design and Build a sports car.

I like the tube frame idea, did you a hydraulic pipe bender, or did you weld together pre bought mandrel bends? what did you use for the welding, MIG? TIG?

wow, i would LOVE to pick your brain about suspension setups! how did you finally decide to go with a gas strut A arm suspension (that is what your using right?)

one last question if you dont mind, what is your budget thus far,

PS your my idol
Ghetto-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #39
sgraber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto-z
What tools did you use, i just finished laying the foundation to extend my garage so i can start a project of somesort. i have built a few go carts from scratch and i really have wanted to step it up a notch, maybe a bigger go kart with a Vtwin motor, 6speed tranny and a suspension for now, but down the road I would LOVE to design and Build a sports car.

I like the tube frame idea, did you a hydraulic pipe bender, or did you weld together pre bought mandrel bends? what did you use for the welding, MIG? TIG?

wow, i would LOVE to pick your brain about suspension setups! how did you finally decide to go with a gas strut A arm suspension (that is what your using right?)

one last question if you dont mind, what is your budget thus far,

PS your my idol
Hey, let's see if I can answer these questions quick. I have a big deadline here at the office.

I used 1x1x .063 (16ga) rhs steel almost exlusively. Very little round. The windshield and rollbar were both bent up at a friends house, but could be done by a friendly muffler shop just as easily.

Very simple tools really. An angle grinder with a cutoff blade and a bunch of sanding flap discs, a sawzall, a bunch of clamps of various sizes, a big burly vise, your basic toolbox of pliers, screwdrivers etc, and of course a half decent MIG welder with gas and a lot of practice welding.

I am not dead ceratin that my suspension design is the best possible solution. I have actually designed the entire front cradle to be removable so that I can build other suspension designs on the table and bolt them into place without rebuilding the entire car. Reasons I chose motorcycle shocks and pullrods with bellcranks. Cost, cool factor, rising rate and readily available and tuneable completely adjustable dampers.

Cost? Donor car - Free (Sold most of it for about $800 profit) A pile of steel, some stuff off of ebay, seats, pedals, windshield, etc... - Total project costs are way WAY under 5,000. But I still have to do the bodywork and that alone will be in the 10's of thousands.

You MUST realize that I have spent over 2 years finding solutions that would result in the lowest cost possible with the highest possible performance and lowest weight. Most people won't or can't go to these lengths to lower costs.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #40
Ghetto-z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ghetto-z
thak you, i appreciate the help, btw you dont want to adopt a 17 yo kid do you... i dont eat much and i can sleep in the garage!
Ghetto-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #41
sgraber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto-z
thak you, i appreciate the help, btw you dont want to adopt a 17 yo kid do you... i dont eat much and i can sleep in the garage!

LOL! You're welcome. I believe that information wants to be free.

No adoptions, sorry. I have my hands full already. Besides, my dog would eat you.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #42
sgraber
AF Newbie

Just thought I should post a quick update. I am almost finished with the bodywork phase of my car and will be pulling molds within the month.

I decided to add doors and an optional hard top for the next version. Here are some recent photos and some renderings of where the bodywork will hinge.

I hope you like my progress! It's been a long process, but I am totally commited to making this car come to life, while at the same time keeping the cost incredibly low.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #43
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

That thing is going to look great! red looks good. what type of engine are you planning to put in it?
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #44
sgraber
AF Newbie

I am currently using a 1.6L 4AGE. My next one will use the 2.2L Supercharged Ecotec like this:

That's a GM crate motor:
12499466 Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged Production Engine
This supercharged 4 cylinder Crate Engine (RPO LSJ) features the following:
DOHC with Sequential Fuel Injection
Bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke 86.00 mm with 9.5:1 compression ratio
205 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque
This engine powers the Saturn ION Redline

I also have considered VW 1.8T or VR6, the Honda B16 and B18 and the K20, the Dodge SRT4, Subaru EJ20, the list is really, really long! And they all would fit!

Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #45
supervisor1886
Banned

Man, People like You built the USA. You make proud.

The only thing is that your choice of the engine here seems nice (the numbers are pretty good and its light), but not a v8? Even if you dont want a v8 why not at least a 4.3 vortec-a six- maybe some turbo and you will be making lotsa hp staying pretty light.
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars