Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
jdmdb2
AF Newbie

94 Cavalier 2.2L wont start

Hey all

I’ve been working on a buddies 94 2.2L Cavalier that died on the highway. I've checked the Fuel pump, Fuel Relay, Coils, crank sensor, vacuum lines and fuel pressure regulator. The Fuel pump is working and activating every time I turn it over all 4 cylinders are sparking but it appears the engine is not receiving fuel. I have checked the 4 injectors as well and they are reading fine, no infinite resistance from my experience most injectors should be in the low 10-20 ohm range? Correct me if I’m wrong. As I'm not really familiar with GM injection systems, but I would assume there on similar lines as Japanese cars for functionality. I am going to try to get an ECM after the long weekend. I know on those cars the ECM’s are exposed to the elements so it may be toast due to moisture. I have pulled all 4 plugs and turned it over and checked for fuel and there is none entering the engine. No spray just dry pistons. But if I attach a multi meter to the injector 4 and turn it over I can see a random pulse. I know that the multi meter cant keep up with it as it is roughly 20 millisecond pulse if I’m not mistaken, but the point is I do see something so is the ECM fine? I’m just wondering if I’m barking up the wrong tree at this point. Also does anybody know if the oil pressure sensor kills just the fuel pump or the injectors as well? Am I thinking wrong on that path as the fuel pump is working as I can hear and feel it. Also does the oil pressure sensor only come into play once it’s started or during ignition as well? Or should I lean towards timing chain or belt what ever it is on that engine??? I don’t see any internal damage when I look in through the spark plug hole but I know that means nothing. This engine an interference engine is it not? The valves would crash correct?

Any thoughts on this would be great. Before I go crazy and tear it all apart

Thanks

Matt

jdmdb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
szpalko
AF Newbie

Re: 94 Cavalier 2.2L wont start

timing chain is not the problem. Oil is not the problem, it should start and go with no oil, you would just get a warning. Follow the fuel line from filter and pump. Open up the line to see if fuel squirts when ignition is applied. Check for clogged lines. Put an LED with about 1000 ohm resitor in series in the injectors plugs instead of the injectors, all 4. You should see them all flashing(shadow required) if they get electric signal. Multimeter will not give a good reading, it can read anything, even if its just an electric twitch.
The fuel has got to be somewhere!!!
szpalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
94VL
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Cavalier 2.2L wont start

The 94s have flash memory ECMs not EPROMs,so,you would need an EXACT donor car for a used ECM.Manual 2 door VL with no AC? Automatic 2.2 RS with AC? They will be programmed differently...as would California emissions and 49 state (Federal).Use NOID lights to check for injector triggering.
94VL is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis