Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
TovinoThomas
AF Newbie

Left my headlights on for 24+ hours - new battery?

I have a 2011 Toyota RAV4 and this past weekend I came home probably around 3 am on early Sunday night. This morning when I started my car I realized that I stupidly had my headlights on for 24+ hours. Luckily for me my car did start and driving to work it was fine.

I need to go on a road trip and I wanted to know if a new battery was needed or not. I don’t know much about cars but I’ve heard that if your car starts after leaving your headlights on then it will be fine. I however did get a new battery probably like 3-4 years ago so the battery is somewhat new. Would you recommend I get a new battery or is it fine as is?Nox VidMate Mobdro

Last edited by TovinoThomas; 04-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.
TovinoThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Left my headlights on for 24+ hours - new battery?

If the car still starts easily you're fine. The battery is mainly just for starting anyway. Once the car starts its mainly runs off the alternator.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I agree with what Stealthee said, and the roadtrip should help ensure the battery gets a full charge. I wanted to chime in though to say that the typical expected life of a lead acid battery, which until recently has been the typical battery chemistry in cars, is about 5 years. So if your battery is 3-4 years old, it's not "somewhat new" but rather something you should expect to replace in the next year or two.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Its good that your car starts easily which means that there's no problem caused by the situation. However, if you have a planned road trip it's better to have your car checked. You can visit your trusted car shop and let them check your car thoroughly and provide you the best recommendation. This is to avoid having car breakdowns and just enjoy your road trip without any hassle. Hope this helps!
beepbeepph is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General