Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
SVT_Lover
AF Newbie

Installing Parking Assist System

I would like to install a parking assist system on my 2013 F-150 STX. I pulled the control module, sensors, sounder and on/off switch from a 2001 Windstar for $18.00. I familiarized myself with the basic installation requirements based on wiring diagram I found on the Autozone website. However, there are a couple points on the Parking Assist Module (PAM) that have me stumped.

Reverse Input (Pin #9) - This point is connected to the right reversing lamp and the Rear Electronic Module. I assume this is a 12v input that activates the PAM when you place the vehicle in reverse. Question: If my assumption is correct, can I simply tap the right reversing lamp and forget about the Rear Electronic Module?

ISO 9141 (Pin #5) - This point is connected to the DLC and several modules, i.e. Left Power Sliding Door Module, Right Power Sliding Door Module and Restraint Control Module. Question: Will the PAM operate properly if I leave this point disconnected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......
SVT_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Installing Parking Assist System

Does the module you have include the tone generator/speaker module? If not, the system may rely on the Rear Electronic Module or diagnostic bus for the audio alert for the reverse sensing system.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
SVT_Lover
AF Newbie

Shorod, Thanks for the prompt response. The PAM has a (+) and (-) connection that connect to the sounder (speaker) that located above the headliner at the D pillar. I am assuming the PAM "pulses" the speaker that, in turn, generates the sound. As for the ISO 9141, I am hoping this point is a dedicated connection for diagnosing the PAM (and the other modules noted above). I am not particularly interested in this diagnostic capability. Hope this helps......
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I pulled up the wiring diagram from the Ford factory service manual and I think your assumptions above are correct. Since the reverse light input tees off to both the REM and the PAM there should not be a need to have the REM. It appears that either the REM controls the reverse lights on the Windstar or the REM needs the reverse input for other functions. The REM is not controlling the PAM

As for the diagnostic bus, I don't see any controller for the diagnostic bus that would provide an input to the PAM so I suspect the PAM will work fine without pin 5 connected.

Through further looking in the factory service manual I came across the following sections that cast some doubt on my thoughts above.
"Switched System Power (SSP)
The SSP is invoked by both the FEM and REM. This function removes power from relays that provide power to the exterior lamps, interior lamps, and power door locks. This is only accomplished when both the FEM and the REM are in sleep mode. The sleep function of the FEM and REM places the modules in sleep mode when the ignition switch is in the OFF position, and no wake up (inputs) signals occur for 30 minutes. The module will not sleep if the parking lamps or the hazard lamps are active. The following relays are controlled by the SSP function: SSP1, SSP2, SSP3, and SSP4. When either the FEM or REM are not in sleep mode, all SSP relays will be energized. Each relay, when energized, will supply power to multiple features/functions. For additional information, refer to the SSP Index for diagnosis and testing of SSP related issues."

I suspect the above is really just indicating that engaging reverse will ensure the REM is awake, but it might also contribute to the next find:
"Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTIC TEST. If the scan tool responds with:
  • CKT 914, CKT 915 or CKT 70 — ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to Section 418-00.
  • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for PAM, go to Pinpoint Test A.
  • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for REM, go to Pinpoint Test B.
  • System passed, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the PAM and REM."
Hopefully this just means the REM knows when the PAM should be active. You could always just bench test the system using a car battery or power supply prior to installing in your F-150. That way you can make sure it functions the way you expect prior to removing panels and splicing in to wires.

-Rod
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
SVT_Lover
AF Newbie

ROD, Thanks so much for the research & analysis. I am hoping your initial thoughts are correct. My next step is the bench testing as you recommended - probably this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks Again
Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

Sounds like a plan.

I'll be on vacation from Friday through the following Saturday so I might be quiet on the forum next week.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical