Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fabrication Tools
Fabrication Tools Discuss and learn about all types of tools used in fabrication, from angle grinders to english wheels.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
artistic
AF Regular

Welding magnets

Sorry for all these threads but I think we should have a tool thread . Anyways my question here is does anybody use welding magnets ? I dont have a welding table and wlil probrably be doing most of my welding on the ground and I saw these welding magnets on sale and they hold the metal at 45, 90 and 135 degree angles. They look usefull but i'd like to hear if anyone uses them.
artistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Welding magnets

No. They are the biggest piles of shit. The arc will jump around like hell more than half the time. I've used the before, and through across the shop because it would fuck stuff up. Not to mention if you're MIG welding it will pull the wire where the field is strongest. I hate them.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
Devious Designs
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Devious Designs

I have some, and what Mike said is true, they do have a tendency to pull wire towards them, but I use them as a third hand to hold a part steady so i can do tacks. I've tried using them once for a finish weld, and like mike said they did more harm then good. I like them for making tables and anything that requires a 90 angle, but I wouldn't use one on a carbody or anything important...

And for welding on the floor...yikes, my backs hurting from just reading that. The first project of any welder is making himself a welding/cutting table. I spent about 40$ on mine and I use it just about everyday, mo better than laying on the floor forsure. I still have the plans for mine if your interested.
Devious Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
artistic
AF Regular

I just dont really have room for a welding table . . The things I have planned to make right now are a cart, so I can hold my mig welder and gas tank, and then once I'm done that a go kart. I'd still like to see the plans though
artistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

I agree. I use them to get four or five good tacks to hold it square, then take the magnet off to lay a bead.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fabrication Tools