Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #31
Rags37
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Towncar Speed Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2231
It turned out that the servo under the hood, and the wiring ring inside the steering column had both gone bad. It totalled about $500, and 350 of that was the ring. Since that's kind of expensive, maybe you should take it and have it checked to see exactly what's wrong in your case. If you buy electrical parts and end up not needing them you usually can't take them back.
Hello Bob, I have a question for you. Where did you find the servo? I have looked online, and ebay, I am not able to locate one anywhere. Not for sure that is the problem but if it is I would like to know where I can get one. Thanks, Rags
Rags37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #32
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2231
I really don't know Rags, I'd have to ask Pops. I just know that the column parts were about $300, not counting the $100 part the dealer broke getting things apart. And the Under-hood parts were about the same.
I'll have to ask him if he has hos receipts around anywhere.
Thanks,,you mean the mechanic that broke a part made you pay for that also? That's crazy.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #33
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towncar
Well, in that case download directly from >>> here <<< ; the CD is coming to you in a Zipped ISO format. The zip size is just this side of 197mb, unzips to around 300mb.

The ISO can be burned to CD, or you can make your PC believe the CD's in a drive using one of the many CD mount softwares. Personally I have all the CD's I want on my hard drive, then I mount (sounds kinky) the one I need to access.

The CD has to be available to run the program, either physically or virtually.

So, grab your copy at the link herein, and give me a shout if you need help with it.
Got it, took a little while to figure out how to get to the information, but have it mastered now.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #34
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags37
Thanks,,you mean the mechanic that broke a part made you pay for that also? That's crazy.
Found a servo at www.car-part.com, should have it by Monday the 26th.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #35
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the updates
Old 03-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #36
Rags37
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 95 Towncar Speed Control

Received my servo yesterday afternoon, took about 10 min. to install, and now my cruise control works fine. I thought the cable might be bad, but the servo I bought had a cable on it that appeared loose on the end. I am wondering if there is some kind of vacuum that works on it also?????? It cost me a total of $65.00 for the servo including shipping. The mechanic told me I would cost between $150.00 and $200.00 invested if I brought to him to fix.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #37
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags37
Received my servo yesterday afternoon, took about 10 min. to install, and now my cruise control works fine. I thought the cable might be bad, but the servo I bought had a cable on it that appeared loose on the end. I am wondering if there is some kind of vacuum that works on it also?????? It cost me a total of $65.00 for the servo including shipping. The mechanic told me I would cost between $150.00 and $200.00 invested if I brought to him to fix.
Turns out there is no vacuum involved, there is a takeup drum inside the servo that takes up the slack in the cable.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #38
Rags37
AF Newbie

Pete, this is Rags, I had the same problem, contacted a mechanic friend and he said that 9 times out of 10 it is the servo. I bought a used servo at www.car-part.com for $50.00, installed it and it now works fine. The mechanic said the computer board goes bad. Yes it is the box on the plastic tire cover that the cable is attached too. Took me all of 10 minutes to change it out. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #39
lakeestate
AF Newbie

I can't seem to pull up the link for the 97 service manuals, are they still available, if so thanks. also I am having same problem, but being a newbie, I believe I started a new thread 97,towncar,cruise, sorry Here is a copy of that post below Thanks

My first post so sorry for mistakes. Anyway have a 97 town car. Cruise doesn't work. Already verified horn circuit and clock spring. All OK, horn now works again after finding shorted horn switch (airbag assembly replaced). Had problem with speedometer showing all sort of speeds after start. Read post about that, replace alternator, that now seems to be fixed too. Current symptom, I go 30mph or more, hit "on" then "set" on steering wheel. The speed control message lights up on the dash, but the cruise will not take over the cars speed. Brake light switch seems to be working OK as I tap breaks, cruise light goes off. I looked at module under master brake cylinder on fender, looks fine, I did get voltage to some of the pins. I am thinking however that this module, the motor in the module is bad, gears jammed whatever. Does it sounds like I'm going after the correct part? The speed sensor seems fine because it appears my speeds are accurate. Thanks
lakeestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #40
al51
AF Newbie

ford used a brake pressure switch in the brake proportion valve below the master cylinder.ford issued a recall to replace theses switches and add an additional fused harness because it was said that these switches were causing fires .understanding how the circuit works i disagree that this would cause fires.anyway that switch is a redundant backup to the brake pedal switch.should the brake PEDAL switch fail,the brake pressure switch will deactivate the cruise circuit.when the brake pedal , is applied,the brake pedal switch REMOVES power from the cruise control servo disengaging the cruise,should it fail,the brake PRESSURE switch takes over and APPLIES power to the servo which will also disengage the cruise servo.its common for the PRESSURE switch to fail stuck CLOSED when this happens its as though the brake pedal is applied and the cruise will not engage.removing this pressure switch can be a hassle.there is a simple but unsafe whay to correct this so i wont say.another method would be to bypass the PRESSURE switch and install a switch just above the brake switch at the pedal.the hole is already there for future design.get a switch from a 98 town car crown vic or grand marquis with the connector unplug the old pressure switch cut the plug off {after you disconnect the battery}run that fused circuit thru the fire wall splice into the plug with the new connector plug it in to the new switch you installed above the brake switch and the cruise control will work as designed by ford and will have the same safety back up
al51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #41
61marty
AF Newbie

I am also having no luck in getting my speed control to engage
It’s a 95 executive series
When I got it it had a check engine light I had that read and they said it was the egr differential sensor I replaced that and pulled the negative battery cable to reset the system
The speed control worked for a couple of days then the check engine light came back on
I need to replace the egr.valve but I can’t get the speed control to work again
I have tried to reset the system again but speed control will still not work
Help please
Let me ask I had done the air suspension to coil springs and pulled the wire that lights the check air suspension warning light
Is there a comparator circuitry in the module behind the glove compartment

Last edited by 61marty; 06-09-2018 at 12:44 PM.
61marty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car