Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jorgeandonie
Buying a new sports car. 10k-15k

Ok, so I have been driving around in my little POS sentra for almost a year now. I had a scion tc back last March and hit some ice causing me to go of the road into a channel of water. I owned a 350z prior to this, bought it from a family member, I wasn't quite ready for a big payment, so we decided to return it ( I was in school back then in 04). Before that a 240sx. Anyhow, it's time to upgrade and I am looking for a sports car again. I like tuners, and I have been looking around and found S2000 to have come down in price alot. I always like the way they looked, the fact that they are 4cyl. and the fact that they are rear wheel drive. I mean for 10-14k dollars for a 2000-2003 with under 100k miles, thats pretty good.

My question is, given that it's a Honda, how reliable are these little cars? I am not looking at modding it, as I learned my lesson with my past car. I spent tons of money modding it and ended up loosing it all once It was wrecked. Maybe a nice exhaust, CAI, wheels and suspension.

What about other options around this same price. Or best bang for the buck under 10 grand.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
akboss
AF Regular

Re: Buying a new sports car. 10k-15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeandonie View Post
My question is, given that it's a Honda, how reliable are these little cars? I am not looking at modding it, as I learned my lesson with my past car. I spent tons of money modding it and ended up loosing it all once It was wrecked. Maybe a nice exhaust, CAI, wheels and suspension.

What about other options around this same price. Or best bang for the buck under 10 grand.

Thanks in advance.
It's awesome that you have 'found' the S2000 - it is off so many people's radar that I hardly hear the name anymore, even though it is one of the most capable sports cars on the road. Finding one for $10K worries me though. Honda cars are famous for holding their value, and limited editions like the S2000 are even more rare, which would imply resale would be quite high. Considering it costs $50K new, if you're finding them for much less than $20K, I would have a long, close look at the car and get all the paperwork.

The car itself is brilliant. It's like an Elise, but more reliable. You will find scarce problems with the S2000, but much praise for its smooth engine and 'best in the business' transmission. It may seem light on power, but the race designed I4 revvs to 8300 RPM. Couple that with a curb weight of 2800 lbs and this little thing will fly! And not just in a straight line...

I'm guessing by defining sports car as RWD, manual shift, powerful, and in this case affordable, I would tend to recommend the domestics - Mustang and Camaro. You can easily find a decent mid-2000's Mustang (either V6 or V8) in this price range, and there are lots to choose from.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Yeah, actually there is alot under 15k on autotrader. I really don't know about mustangs, I rather stick to imports. But thanks for the reply. I guess I will look more into the mustangs and such.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
akboss
AF Regular

What about going back to the 240SX? If you're willing to go back in years there are a few import options - Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT (AWD), Toyota Supra. Or, you could put a lease on a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T - starting at $22K, so do a 5-year finance (length of warranty), put down your $10K as deposit, and with 0% financing you should be looking at like $250/month - not bad for a brand-new, fully warranted RWD sports car.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Well I have around 5-6k to put down, another 1.5k for immediate mods, such as exhaust, suspension, lighting, sound etc. I want something pretty reliable, so that would rule out the 240s. I don't want to get stuck on a 5 year loan, specially not again, since I'm going back to school in the fall, so that would rule out anything new. What ever I get for my current car might just go for mods. Idk. I want something by the end of the month.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
akboss
AF Regular

What year is the Sentra? Just keep that puppy going. If you have a 2000+ model it should be alright.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

...... Don't mod the Sentra like he just said lol.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like domestics?

Goin with you import way though, you could pick up something like a mid 90's BMW 3, 5, 6, or 7 series , get one with low miles in good shape and you could fix it up real nice, they handle quite well stock and if you pick one up with one of the bigger engines their quite fast, Try lookin for say a 760i for somewhere around 10-13k. V10 ftw lol, if you want one with better mileage you could look into a 3 series with a bigger V6 and still get like 25-30mpg (dunno for sure but something like that).

From what I hear the S2000 is a good little car, I wouldn't suggest big mods but mild ones (kinda like you said) wouldn't be bad at all. Just don't go throwin a body kit and a rice cannon on it lol. If you do a mod on any car do it right. Ebay is NOT your friend for mods lol.

If you want to do some mods and tuning and such then I'd go domestic, easier to mod and most of the time (exceptions on both ends) take better to them, and cost less to mod. And in my opinion, no matter what you do to it, the tiny I4's and V4 engines just sound like dying cats. V8 sound is FTW V8 fuel mileage not so much sometimes though, so if you wan't something fun and efficient I'd get something with a fun V6.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Yeah, I don't really know why I don't like domestics. I have always been a tuner kind of guy. I am not planning on anything more than cosmetic stuff, and I hate body kits, spoilers, neon, all that stupid bull shit. A clean lip kit looks good, some racing wheels(non-chrome), suspension upgrade, exhaust, CAI, maybe sway bars.

My sentra is in horrible condition, lol. I wouldn't even dream on lowering it. But I would look into the beamers as they are awesome. Haven't really done any car shopping since the economy dropped, this is awesome. haha
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
akboss
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
...... Don't mod the Sentra like he just said lol.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like domestics?

Goin with you import way though, you could pick up something like a mid 90's BMW 3, 5, 6, or 7 series , get one with low miles in good shape and you could fix it up real nice, they handle quite well stock and if you pick one up with one of the bigger engines their quite fast, Try lookin for say a 760i for somewhere around 10-13k. V10 ftw lol, if you want one with better mileage you could look into a 3 series with a bigger V6 and still get like 25-30mpg (dunno for sure but something like that).

From what I hear the S2000 is a good little car, I wouldn't suggest big mods but mild ones (kinda like you said) wouldn't be bad at all. Just don't go throwin a body kit and a rice cannon on it lol. If you do a mod on any car do it right. Ebay is NOT your friend for mods lol.

If you want to do some mods and tuning and such then I'd go domestic, easier to mod and most of the time (exceptions on both ends) take better to them, and cost less to mod. And in my opinion, no matter what you do to it, the tiny I4's and V4 engines just sound like dying cats. V8 sound is FTW V8 fuel mileage not so much sometimes though, so if you wan't something fun and efficient I'd get something with a fun V6.
I must say Puker, that's the best post you've ever made...it is actually good advice from start to finish. Well, except for the bash on my Sentra idea! If the guy has a model year 2000+ SER SpecV it is a great little car. The 2.5 I4 made 175 hp naturally aspirated - slap on a decent turbo, intercooler, some cross bracing and an LSD and you're having some fun.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
you could look into a 3 series with a bigger V6 and still get like 25-30mpg

yeah, just you could look at a 3 series with a V6...
wait, did you also mention a V4 later?

geez...

with that said, E36 are bargain basement these days but don't forget that the youngest car is going to be 10 years old now AND they were never cheap to run and/or maintain in the first place so an old one that needs more attention can and most likely will cost you more to "make new" as it were.
If you do look at E36s, don't bother with anything less than their 6 cylinder cars (320i upwards).
Bear in mind though that M3 aside, factory numbers for the 0-62 run aren't that great (nothing sub 7 secs) for stock engines when new.

On the other hand; a 2000-2003 E46 330 is around 6.5 to 5.8 (depending on source and exact model) but will cost you more.

As for the S2000; that is a case when the engine is better than the car.
I drove a series one S2000 and it's handling and balance is not all there. The rear end is softer than you'd imagine and it is prone to sudden bump/rebound/snap which either kicks the back out when you don't want it to (without warning I should add) or it ends up in a weird wobble as it re-settles.
The gearbox is also a pain as every gear above 3rd is next to useless (I'm sure I ran to at least 65mph in 2nd gear) and if you ever do manage to get into 6th after revving the full range of the engine, congratulations.
But the actual shift is lovely.
Pure "click-clack".
Steering is typical of proper Type-R Hondas in that it only really makes sense at decent speed. At all other times, it's a little wooly around the dead ahead.
The brakes are similar; the first little bit of pedal action seems to do nothing.
These two things disappear when you put your foot down though... or perhaps it's at speed when they are inconsequential.

I don't agree that it's anything like an Elise.
When people say you can use an Elise as an everyday car, they mean it's possible.
An S2000 is an everyday car.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really know why I don't like domestics. I have always been a tuner kind of guy. I am not planning on anything more than cosmetic stuff, and I hate body kits, spoilers, neon, all that stupid bull shit. A clean lip kit looks good, some racing wheels(non-chrome), suspension upgrade, exhaust, CAI, maybe sway bars.

My sentra is in horrible condition, lol. I wouldn't even dream on lowering it. But I would look into the beamers as they are awesome. Haven't really done any car shopping since the economy dropped, this is awesome. haha
You just got awarded a big giant ENORMOUS thumbs up

Quote:
yeah, just you could look at a 3 series with a V6...
wait, did you also mention a V4 later?
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....ection=summary
20-29, whatever. (I6 )

Quote:
they were never cheap to run and/or maintain
True, but not many sports cars are cheap to maintain.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Well, it's so hard to find a S2000 around here. I did find a 323ci convertible that has 85--- miles on it for around 9500. The lot was closed when I went today. How dependable are these? It is a 5 speed. But I really don't know much about these cars. Is there stuff you have to change out after alot of miles? What do I need to look for when I got back and look at it?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, it's so hard to find a S2000 around here. I did find a 323ci convertible that has 85--- miles on it for around 9500. The lot was closed when I went today. How dependable are these? It is a 5 speed. But I really don't know much about these cars. Is there stuff you have to change out after alot of miles? What do I need to look for when I got back and look at it?
Their really reliable cars, the maintenance on them is quite pricxy though, oil changes and such. They run on the high grade oil and all that fun stuff like most of the germen cars.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Ok I went to test drive the beamer. It drove great it has new tires that need to be balanced, they said they would do it. Clutch felt good, engine felt good, though it was a little loud when I checked it out. I don't know much about bmw so it might be normal. The transmission seemed a little loose to me. Like I said I know nothing abput these cars. But it is nice. Looks great. How good are the 5 speeds?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
akboss
AF Regular

If you are serious, have it inspected thoroughly by someone who knows BMW's - either a local shop specializing in import German cars, or a BMW dealer. These guys know what the car is 'supposed' to feel like, and what this one feels like. If you have nothing to compare it to, a broken tranny could seem like its just 'loose'. As Puker said, the cars are quality built, but you don't want one that has been abused - if you think repairs and maintenance are pricey, rebuilds on the motor and/or transmission are nightmarish. You'd be in for less of a slap in the face considering it's a manual, which are always easier and cheaper to fix than an autobox.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A