Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #31
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: selecting the best used car for my needs

i guess it just boils down to agreeing to disagree on the use of FWD, RWD, 4x4 and AWD in the winter. We'll let the registration numbers for each of these vehicles speak for themselves in their respective areas.
Quote:
Nice try on the you don't get snow BS.
I did want to address this however. No where in my posts did I say you "don't get snow." I was referring to the seasonal amount. Having to drive in areas that get over 15 feet of snow in a season can give a certain perspective on what works and what doesn't when it comes to getting around.
Hopefully the OP can get some ideas on makes/models that would be good in the snow to get them around Boston, and at the same time meet their requirements for price and cargo hauling ability.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #32
RaeRae1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RaeRae1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Usually, Shpuker's advice is appropriate and decent, but in this case, it's way off base. It's biased towards his own personal preferences and imo are not the best advice for the OP.

I have driven in snow now for 27 winters. In that time I have owned and driven 25-odd FWD, RWD and 4x4 cars and trucks. FWD is better, especially for the novice.

I am not sure is Shpuker actually talks to ordinary or novice drivers. The VAST MAJORITY of car drivers in the winter want the superior traction and steering of FWD. They PREFER it because it is more predictable, it accelerates better and is easier to handle. Unlike Shpuker and me, they are not car enthusiasts and have no interest in the unpredictability of having the rear end of the car slide around. They simply want the easiest form of winter driving, often without shelling the bucks for 4WD.

I remember with great clarity, when Chrysler started making FWD cars in quantity in '78, GM in '79 and Ford in '81, the average Canadian car buyer was in seventh heaven. Huge quantities of car buyers, sick and tired of sliding around with RWD embraced FWD cars with great enthusiasm because of the superior winter driving performance.

And they have never looked back. FWD is still overwhelmingly preferred here for cars, even though RWD alternatives exist. So, Shpuker, are millions of Canadian FWD car buyers wrong when they prefer it for winter driving? I don't think so.

BMW cars?? Worthless in the snow. Worthless.(Except the SUV's are great with the correct tires). Lots of my friends and neighbors have RWD cars.... but for summertime performance, NOT for winter.

Sure, FWD may not be preferred for Shpuker personally, but for this original poster, Fwd is the way to go.

Imo any deficiencies of FWD stem from the lack of decent snow tires. FWD is good enough that people can get by with all-seasons, although this is often a bad choice.

Finally, there is ONE RWD car that is really good in the snow.... the old VW Beetle. With it's RWD and rear mounted engine.... the weight of the engine was over the driving wheels, just like a FWD car.

x 1,000

Sphuker, I have no idea where you are getting your info from but you are, as it is being said, way off base on this arguement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevelleOhio
Your cheer-mobile needs a flat tire.
RaeRae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Well it's now 5 to 1 not worth making an argument out of this.

Good luck finding a good vehicle

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A