Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
ClubBurton
AF Newbie

The ultimate Starter

Hi,

I am new here, and I hope you guys can help me with my question.

Now, I am looking for a first car to buy. I only have $5,000 to spend, so I'll go for a second hand. I don't mind if it's old, as long as it's reliable. Also, it should have more than 20 MPG. I don't care too much for body type, as long as it's not a hatchback or a minivan. And eventually, I would rather buy american, for lower insurance costs.

I would like to keep this car untill I finish my studies-5 years that is-, and maybe more. Actually, reliability is my top priority.

I already have some clues as to which car would suit me. I know the GM 3800 engines are very good. I know the 4th gen Camaro has this engine, and also the Buick LeSabre. I also read that the '04 Sebrings are very reliable, but I an dubious about this one.

So what do you think? Do you know some other good reliable american cars?
ClubBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Re: The ultimate Starter

Sebrings arn't reliable at all, I don't suggest buying one under pretty much any circumstance.

Camaro's are nice and reliable, the LaSabre is to, those are probaly 2 of your nicer options,

Try going to Autotrader.com or cars.com and just set your price range and all that good stuff. this should give you plenty of cars to look at

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
ClubBurton
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I have already been to autotrader, but somehow prices are kind of expensive right now. I still have my parents' Volvo for now, so I'm not in a hurry to buy.

By the way, what are the Cadillac Northstar engines worth?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

The Sebring is a good car with the 2.5 v6 and the 4 cylinder.Avoid one with a 2.7 and some have the 2.7 engine.Sebrings do have problems with the factory rear strut plates,made out of Aluminum and break.The replacement is made out of steel,Dorman and the dealer dealer sell them made out of steel.You do not want anything with a Northstar,a huge piece of junk and expensive to repair.Northstars with the aluminum blocks are known for headgasket problems and strip out the headbolt threads in the process requiring thread inserts being put in due to the block being aluminum.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
ClubBurton
AF Newbie

MSN Autos gave the '04 Sebring 5/5 for reliability:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...&model=Sebring

and the Northstar DOHC has been in the top 10 of Ward's Best Engines in 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27...s#20th_century
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

I know a yard in my area that sells the Northstars real easily.My father bought a Cadillac with bad headgaskets a year ago and it had the Northstar in it.The Northstar is not very reliable due to the headgasket problems and Cadillac has it their way.There is GM and there is Cadillac,Cadillac does it their way.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

I'd never buy a Sebring. everyone I've talked to with one hates it

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Oldengineer
AF Regular

I'll second that - I had an 01 and an 05 Sebring. Both were very unreliable. They're the reason I no longer do business with Chrysler after owning 14 of them. You might consider Buick Century or some of the last Oldsmobiles with the 3.8 engine as well. I've also heard good things about Saturn Ions, but, have no personal experience with them. I own an 08 Aura, and, its been an excellent car.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
wafrederick
Banned

Problem with Saturn is that there is no aftermarket parts out there for them,dealer only.Saturn is no longer owned by GM,Roger Penske bought Saturn out from GM and GM will make parts for them for 5 years.After 5 year,Roger Penske is on his own for parts recources.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Not a big concern on the Aura - It shares most mechanical stuff with Chevy. Body parts might be a problem if I decide to keep it for a long period of time. Don't know how much parts-bin sharing went on with the old Ion though.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
akboss
AF Regular

OK so if reliability is a main concern, are you open to looking at a Toyota? My wife picked up a 1996 Camry for $3000 - we've been driving it for 2 years without any mechanical problems and it is more reliable (by far) than my 2003 Mazda Protege5. I've owned a Camry in the past as well, nothing but good things to say. Personally, that's where I would look, or at it's little brother the Corolla.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
wafrederick
Banned

There is one problem with buying a foriegn car,the profits go overseas and we do not see the profits.Some parts you can buy aftermarket for a Saturn.Try getting an oxygen sensor for a Saturn at your local parts store,dealer part only.Saturn needs to switch back to lug studs and do away with the lug bolts,a pain to line up when reinstalling the tires.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

It doesn't sound like he's looking for an ecobox (confirm or deny?) so a Toyota really isn't what I'd suggest. and. haven't had personal experiance with this one, I hear toyota's and Honda's are the easyest cars in the world to dent.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
ClubBurton
AF Newbie

So,

No, I do not want an ecobox - whatever this means. I just want a car that is not too much of a gas guzzler (+20MPG), has enough space, and is decently powered. I would buy an SUV, but I can't afford the gas for now, especially gas prices are expected to rise. I would also buy a German car, but insurance prices are crazy for those.

I will not, under any circumtstances, buy a Japanese car because I don't like their banal design and also for political views. I am strongly against asian cars in the US - but I will not discuss this in this topic.

By the way, I was wondering, are Chrysler engines from the late 90's any good? Ex. Chrysler DHS 3.5V6.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
wafrederick
Banned

If you go German,avoid a Volkswagon with an automatic transmission.The Automatic transmissions in the Volkswagons are junk.Yes the the late 90s Chrysler engines in the late 90s and you want to void anything with a 2.7 for a Chrysler product.The 2.7 is put in 1998 to 2004 Dodge Intrepids and Chrysler Concordes,Sebrings and some Chrysler 300s starting in 2005 I believe.SOme were put in the Magnums for the base level models too.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A