Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
hahtubmike
AF Newbie

Need SMART people for Delco RDS radio ?

Hi folks. I'm looking for someone who REALLY has an answer for this. Got a junkyard Delco RDS radio and guess what? Doesn't come on except clock. I have searched over 100 sites and the only 3 answers are as follows;
#3 Duh... I don't know....
#2 All you have to do is press these....buttons and write down the numbers...
#1 Take it to a dealer for scan and reprogram

My comments on these comments;
#3 Self explanatory!!!
#2 The thing this answer does not take into account is that this procedure only works on Delco-Loc or Delco Theftlock radios, not RDS. Some of the unlock procedures actually work on "Lock" radios as I have used them before with success. People answering this question need to be made aware of this so they don't continue to give out false information.
#1 This is "a" correct answer but I think there is more info that can be obtained. Here are specific questions;
a) Does an RDS radio have to go back in a vehicle that is WIRED for an RDS radio. Can it be put in an older model car that only has standard speaker and power connections?
b) If I do take the RDS radio to the dealer, does it have to be installed in the vehicle or can it be out of car? Also, is the reprogramming done wirelessly or plugged into unit or pressed in by buttons?
c) We used to deactivate "Lock" on Delcos on the bench so they could go anywhere. Even though they say an RDS has to go to dealer, I find it hard to believe this is the only way. Surely someone knows a crack or hack to unlock this radio without taking it to the (thieves) dealer. From past repair experience I think there are techs out there that know the secret but won't tell because they are protecting their or fellow techs income.

Come on you smart guys, show us how smart you really are. Help us.

I'll share with you 1 trick I did find out. On an RDS radio if you press volume and seek up and 5 at the SAME time, turn ignition on. (IE the constant 12V is on and then you apply the switched 12V). This will temporarily turn on the displays so you can see if the unit is going to work. However, as soon as you turn power off you loose everything again. This does work as I just tried it and it did as said.
hahtubmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Need SMART people for Delco RDS radio ?

we are NOT shop owners on here, and precious few professional installers. Try the GM forums, those guys are far more likely to know about OEM equipment. Most of us on this forum are into aftermarket stuff, so the stock radio is one of the first things to go.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Master01
AF Newbie

It is just a regular radio(cd player), RDS stands for Radio Data System used to show the radio's ID when you are listening(it is not a special radio!!!), if it doesn't work, then you have to fine the specific pinout on for that particular radio and you can adopt it for your needs.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
docbenway
AF Newbie

Guys - there is an avatar who helped me on AF at:

Bypassed TheftLock on GM Chevy Class II MP3 CD HU

Warning:

This takes a bold move - suitable if you were in my position when the only option was paying the dealer $129 with no guarantee it would work. Solution involves snipping a lead in the radio, so it is a desperation play, but if you have a theftlock 2 radio from a different car, this is the non-dealer solution. Worked perfectly for me - disarms the VIN eprom on the radio.
docbenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
vince27
AF Newbie

Did your presets work after you removed the prom connection.
vince27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
pigseye
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince27 View Post
Did your presets work after you removed the prom connection.
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I have the same qeustion.

Hope someone can answer it.

Thanks
pigseye is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio