Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
SMB1913
AF Newbie

Convert my 1.5DIN to 2DIN in my 99 Tahoe?

I’ve been interested in upgrading my 1999 Tahoe’s stereo to possibly an in-dash DVD/Navigation system. Unfortunately I have run into a problem. I’ve now been told by several people that my only option is to install a motorized, hideaway screen model. I have seen these units in other vehicles and for one reason or anther don’t like them. Now, I know they make complete dash kits to add accent wood, carbon or whatever other material you want to you’re dash. My question is, does anyone know if they make kits like this that create a bigger opening to install a double din stereo. This seems like it wouldn’t be too hard for my vehicle. There’s plenty of room there once you remove the factory CD unit that is separate from the factory head unit. You could then move the A/C control unit down and have plenty of room above for a double din aftermarket unit. Well it seems easy enough if you have every needed to make the molds. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
SMB1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Re: Convert my 1.5DIN to 2DIN in my 99 Tahoe?

Well I know it can be done with a Blazer so I can't imagine it would be any more difficult on a Tahoe. I'm almost certain there are no "kits" to create a bigger opening (if it's like the Blazer) though you'd probably have to chat with the owners in the Tahoe forum for things like that. Doing it on a Blazer is all custom work, but is relatively easy custom work. Just cut away the plastic and make a mount of some sort for the deck.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
SMB1913
AF Newbie

Yeah, I’ve seen a few threads that refer to having to cut bigger openings, but I don’t have the slightest idea about where to start with plastics. I want it to look stock and don’t think I’d have a problem fabricating mounts, but don’t want to screw up the finish work. Does anyone know of a good resource to learn how I might go about this?
SMB1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
bjc192
AF Newbie

I know this is late but i've been researching this for weeks cuz i want to do the same to mine because i recently seen one exactly like my 99 2 door with it done but the guy had his custom done for like 500 and they screwed it up but here is a website you can get a kit or a whole new dash piece... thedetailss.com
bjc192 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio