Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
babygirl112269
AF Newbie

Amp Caught On Fire

I HAVE 2 10" MTX BLUE THUNDER SUBS HOOKED UP TO A 1000 WAT SONY EXPLODE AMP AND YOU COULDN'T HERE THAT I HAD SUBS TILL MY VOLUME WAS AT MAX THE OTHER DAY I NOTICED SPARKS COMING OUT OF THE AMP SO PLEASE HELP WHAT KIND OF AMP AND HOW MANY WATTS DO I NEED TO MAKE MY SUBS LOUD? DOES THE DECK MATTER? I HAVE A 50x4 CLARION RECEIVER DO I NEED A BETTER ONE OR DOES IT EVEN MATTER? PLEASE HELP!
babygirl112269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Amp Caught On Fire

the power for the subs comes ONLY from the sony amp, the CD players power amp will make no difference. Sounds like the gains on the amp are set wrong. Also, you have to wire the subs for the minimum impedance the amp can handle to maximize power. The last point to consider is the box and install - if you have a prefab box, it most likely will not be very loud.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl112269
I HAVE 2 10" MTX BLUE THUNDER SUBS HOOKED UP TO A 1000 WAT SONY EXPLODE AMP AND YOU COULDN'T HERE THAT I HAD SUBS TILL MY VOLUME WAS AT MAX THE OTHER DAY I NOTICED SPARKS COMING OUT OF THE AMP SO PLEASE HELP WHAT KIND OF AMP AND HOW MANY WATTS DO I NEED TO MAKE MY SUBS LOUD? DOES THE DECK MATTER? I HAVE A 50x4 CLARION RECEIVER DO I NEED A BETTER ONE OR DOES IT EVEN MATTER? PLEASE HELP!

First of, your gain may have some issues, and your box might also be the problem. Phase is of concern as well, but other than that, the 1st place I woudl look, is my equiupment, and whether is functioning correlty or not (amp and/or subs). Also, refering to what PD said, make sure you are running at the correct impedance. How are these hooked up, series or parallel, and are the speakers DVC or SVC ? The HU, Clarion makes some good stuff, and as stated earlier, your power comes from the amp and goes to subs anyways. The HU will make a difference in sound, but for the most part, they are isolated. typically, 300 - 400 W can get you plenty of sound on a sub, even though they are rated much higher.
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
ryan91
AF Newbie

your first problem is sony xplod amps, they are the most unreliable and cheapest amps on the market. they dont even put out true 1000 they are garbage. never buy a amp at the same place you buy groceries "walmart" save your cash and buy a better one from a car audio installer. after you get a better amp tell us if its changed in quality a guarantee your subs are fine, you know why?? there not cheap
ryan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio