Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
pirate742
AF Newbie

Re: Need some help with car buying please :)

Man i thought buying a car would be easy.
I called my mechanic, and he says dont bother getting the kia, so guess im not :P.
Reccomended montero sport, i was thinking of it, seems rather ok, gonna go hunt for a deal, what do you think of a montero sport
pirate742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of Mistus but i've been in one of those and they're okay. Kinda reminded me of my Blazer, in a good way.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
pirate742
AF Newbie

So i managed to get in touch with a buddy of mine who knows a thing or two about cars. Hes reccomending me stick to acura or honda, for this price of car, (under 5 grand) thats the only thing really built well enough for the kind of mileage it has. He wants me to get a stick and is willing to teach me. I know for a fact this kid has knowledge about cars, but im still open to all opinions. Im thinking prolly, a civic, an accord, or an integra?

Btw contacted insurance, pretty weird, 1998 accord = $3400, 1997 mitsubishi eclipse convertible = $3600?
Odd eh?
Well anyway i appreciate all the help again people i dont know what to think anymore i hope this kid can help me actually close a deal.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Not really. I would think the convertible would be more than that. Add Toyota to that list too. Now you never really mentioned what you are looking for in your first vehicle (FWD, AWD, coupe, SUV, etc.) in any of your posts. Provide as many details as you can on what you want out of your first vehicle and it will be easier to recommend something you may like.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
pirate742
AF Newbie

To be honest, now ill settle for anything in good condition from 95 +. Kind of want a stick now, been practicing on parents autostick car, but that doesnt really teach me about the clutch. RWD FWD AWD i dont care at this point, something nice, cheap, that will last me a long time. As i said, i have in mind interga, or civic, or accord for now. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Definitely get yourself an Accord, an EX coupe or sedan will have the most options. The most popular car in America for several years and for good reason.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

Old 08-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #22
pirate742
AF Newbie

Will do, also, for example how long can it take to not master, but drive a stick really well? I know relatively how it works and what to do, just gotta practice on an actual stick.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
pirate742
AF Newbie

Does it have to be an EX model? Those seem to be more expensive lol
Although i have seemed to like the accord ex v6 coupe 1998. I love the back most of all, the red stripe intrigues me :P

Bleh mom is really worried what do you guys think of a honda with 110k miles, it seems like a lot, but thats why its a honda. Of course it also required on how the previous owner took care of the car. But if it was good, and had 110k miles it should be fine no?

Last edited by pirate742; 08-03-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
oedipussy
AF Newbie

110K is nothing in today's world. Almost any car can handle much more than that if properly maintained.

The thing about cars is that there's so many moving parts, they wear out, and so by nature eventually EVERY car is going to break down. It doesn't matter who makes it. It's unavoidable, but not unfixable. You could buy a 1908 Model T with 500K miles on it, replace the parts that have worn out, and it'd basically be like having a brand new car. In that case, having 500K miles on it wouldn't mean a damn thing...
oedipussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #25
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
Definitely get yourself an Accord, an EX coupe or sedan will have the most options. The most popular car in America for several years and for good reason.
Actually the "most popular" car in America is the Toyota Camry, and has been for several years. The sales leader overall is a truck, a Ford F150, but when you're talking about cars, it's the Camry.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
pirate742
AF Newbie

Appreciate the feedback ppl now i have some hard evidence to prove to my rents
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #27
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Okay, well, I think we all can agree that the Honda Accord is still a very popular car.

The stick is really easy. God bless you for wanting to learn. It should be a requirement to learn prior to getting a license IMO. Of course practice makes perfect. The only real hard part when learning stick is going from a dead stop. You get that down and you should be okay. Shifting while driving isn't that bad. Also, the V6 is automatic only, so getting a stick means you get the 2.2 inline 4. EX is the top of the line model. There is also a lesser LX model as well as a base DX model. I dunno if the DX ever got discontinued but not that many were ordered overall.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #28
pirate742
AF Newbie

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...=212538297Well ill post whatever happens, checking autotrader / craigslist at the moment, nothing yet but ill look
Went to check out 2 accords today, one had a terrible interior and just disregarded it. The second seemed so so, but dont know how the engine is.
My grandparents are trying to convince me to get the lancer oz rally which i was looking at earlier (after the celica) and they said they would be willing to give me the difference of the cost, and i pay them back whenevrer and however much i can at a time. So i think i can do that, you guys think its ok?
http://tinyurl.com/34rgum
Clean carfax report as well. I just dont know, i didnt want to spend so much, but i guess if it will be a good car for a long time, i can suck up the courage to do it.
Edit: wow they upped the price to 7 grand, i gotta ask them whats up. Still im open to opionions.
Edit Edit!: Might get a stick celica, if i can negotiate down a bit.
http://tinyurl.com/3xs6wy
Edit Edit Edit!!!: That celica had a junk title, so much for that.

Super Edit: Hows about an eclipse, from 1995 - 2002 ? A friend of mine mentioned that they are manufactured by dodge and to stay away from them, but i dunno, ive seen many ppl happy with them. Good, bad?
Thanks!

Last edited by pirate742; 08-05-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Eclipses are headaches waiting to happen, beware The reason the 97 eclipse carries a higher insurance tag than the accord is because its a 'sports car' and a convertible which insurers look at as a red flag for fast driving and accidents.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #30
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Mitsubishis aren't all that great overall. They got good looks, but reliablility isn't on par with other Japanese makes. I hear that gas mileage for the lancer isn't as great as other 4 banger FWDs and I also hear they have tranny issues. But if its low miles, you will have financial help, and you promise to stay on top of maintenence, then its not a bad deal. However, I would just find a good Accord.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A