Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 12:09 AM   #16
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Quote:
Originally posted by tatt2frk
I Got a 92' talon with minor upgrades but still a 4-banger. I have no prob. keeping up with a
stock 99' camaro ss with half the cylinders, and better gas mileage. I don't think that u can
compare the 2 it's all in opinion and what u like.
I'd like to know what your mods are because I have to believe that you either have more than minor upgrades or you don't understand. I have seen Talon TSI's turning in high 14's and stock SS turnin low 13's. Now a second may seem like a lot but it's only bout 2 car lengths in the 1/4. So if you just messing round on the street and u are behind are car length maybe 2 you may think your are keeping up but you really not
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:24 AM   #17
tatt2frk
AF Newbie

i understand where u might be thinking that i can not keep up with a SS in my talon with only minor upgrades. These are minor to me, port and polished head, stock turbo 16 lbs. of boost, blowoff valve,underdrive pulleys, clutchmasters clutch. I did say no prob. but i should
i can hang with it. My friend has a 99' camaro ss auto we raced 3 times. Worst race was the front of my car was at the back of his door. Which i don't think is to bad for a 4 cylinder.

But an argument, conversation, or writing about this topic will never be solved because
there is no "BETTER ONE" it's all an opinion and everyones' is different. Who cares how many
cylinders, where it be 4,6,8,10,....200 as long as where all RACING.:smoker2:
tatt2frk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #18
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Those are some good mods for a turbo'd car. I can see you keeping up no problem. That is the type of stuff I was planning (w/o the port and polish).

Quote:
as long as where all RACING
Amen
Old 01-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #19
GTStang
Stang Guy

I agree that your car with ported or polished heads prob will keep up. But most people say minor mods it does not include P&P heads. Not argueing about which is better just sick of hearing a lot of bullshit statements from people
Old 01-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #20
tatt2frk
AF Newbie

Yea, i guess p&p is more than minor. That also sucks when people type bullshit that they know nothing about. They watch fast and the furious one time and they know everything about
cars and racing.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:01 PM   #21
CivyFellow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CivyFellow
"Also, your Talon was made with sporting intentions, a Civic wasn't. "

This is true with a stock Civic ex but my friend was talking about a Civic Si which is a low grade Typre R which in turn is designed for sporting or track intentions.

-Damn Why are Mugen Parts so Expensive.
CivyFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:21 PM   #22
tatt2frk
AF Newbie

ok now any car could beat my car. i was racing a 93 civic as soon as i shifted out of 1st
my trans. just went to shit. I hate when stuff breaks but that is the price u pay to play.
So now it is for sale for $2000 so is my 87 GSXR 750.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:41 AM   #23
GTStang
Stang Guy

That sucks man I hear that shit, my first car was an 83' Mustang GT and after sinking bout 5 G's in parts I dropped the bottom end of my engine racing a Vette. But I got a new ride that I could dump all my money into and I'm sure you'll do the same.

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2002, 08:27 PM   #24
Sweet_n_fast
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Sweet_n_fast
Exclamation

OK. thing about it if you have a vtec acura with a T4 turbo putting out 22 psi and you pull up to a mustang 5.0 and leave the piece in your dust think how that makes you feel. and oo ya you should see the look the mustang has on its face when they loose to a honda not to mention they have twice the displacement of a 2.2 liter vtec and oo ya by the way the vtec have just as much horse power of a stock 1980 mustang. humm what is better.

peace
Sweet_n_fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:49 AM   #25
GTStang
Stang Guy

First of all you can go buy a friggin Type R Integra and it has less hp and torque than an stock 87-93 5.0.
Type R: 190hp 137ft/lbs-Massive Torque, Bet that hurts at a stop light!
87-93 5.0 225hp 195ft/lbs

Don't get mad at me cuz you got a gay lil 4-Banger
Secondly go buy any friggin supercharger for a 5.0 motor and run it at just 12psi and watch that Acura owner cry cuz he just got his ass handed to him and while he is still waiting for his lil turbo to spool up. Then see who is smiling
Even if you wanna match turbos. A friggin stang owner can just through Twin Turbos on for you to feel special.
No matter what you do to your lil 4-banger I'll can do the same and will get more from it and pay less.

No Replacement for Displacement!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GTStang; 01-25-2002 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:06 PM   #26
jettaIII
AF Newbie

read please!

First off, Sweet_n_Fast, way to jump in and insult people. There is also no Acura with a 2.2l VTEC engine. And it's stupid to drop in the H22A Prelude engine if that's what you're talking about. And do you have any idea how much work it takes to run 22psi w/out blowing your engine to hell??? Not very realistic.
I'm actually more into imports, so I'll stick up for them next. I can see a Talon/Eclipse beating a Camaro with minor mods. When you add even little things like intake, exhaust to factory FI cars, it increases the boost the engine is putting out (peak boost and spikes, a good reason to get a boost gauge). Sucks about your tranny, bro GTStang, it doesn't take long for a turbo to spool up, usually ~3k rpm. Plus if you launch at or above that, you'll be boosting already, so you won't have to any turbo lag at the start. The Type-R vs. 'Stang wouldn't be such a blowaway either. The Type-R is very very light, and the Mustang is quite the opposite, given the size of the engine, etc. Equal drivers, you got a close race. "No replacement for displacement"? The only replacement for displacement is technology. If a Camaro put out the same horsepower per litre as say an S2000 (2.0 liters, 240hp, you do the math) then it would pump out around 700hp stock. How sweet would that be. There's also the gas mileage thing... Pros and Cons for each side, its all in personal preference. Torque is a BLAST, but there's something about VTEC screaming @8500rpm (or 9500 in the S2k!)!
Chris- turbos aren't quite $4000. Usually at least. It can add up though, so you aren't far off. And with good tuning, it should give you quite a bit more than 100hp.
Spoon is a small Japanese company specializing in Honda/Acuras. They make crate engines (HIGH revving, good hp), frickin LIGHT wheels, suspension, cf hoods, etc, etc. Great company, REALLY expensive.
Hope I was helpful, we all love cars so lets all get along
:smoker2:
jettaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:22 AM   #27
ZiEnZeRo
AF Newbie

Spoon

You gotta give it up to asian cars....v-8 do have huge off the line power and simple upgrades but imports, from honda's 4 banger civic to nissan's inline 6 skyline do tear em' up.....spoon produces engines specifically for honda....they have upgraded the type-r integra engine to a 13k red line and a crazy amount of hp....they don't all look the same *thanks to the miracle of fiberglass and carbon fiber*....and you never see to modified imports with the same specs....well, i'm going v8 hunting....be back in seconds
ZiEnZeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:22 PM   #28
egroot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by GTStang

I have seen Talon TSI's turning in high 14's and stock SS turnin low 13's. Now a second may seem like a lot but it's only bout 2 car lengths in the 1/4. So if you just messing round on the street and u are behind are car length maybe 2 you may think your are keeping up but you really not

sorry, gtstang; let's assume a trap speed of 90 mph. that can be converted to 132 ft/sec, or 8.65 mustang lengths behind. if you get beaten by a second, you will know you got spanked.
egroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:08 AM   #29
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
ok well if buyin a v8 is better than buyin a bag of rice then would you mind explaining to me how a crx can smoke a viper...
granted the squeezin of the 4 cyl. is maxed but then again you still stand by your v8 nevermind the v10 which was also modded
Old 03-12-2002, 02:01 PM   #30
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Um, have you seen the Pikes Peak Tacoma? It has a 2L 4, with 850hp. IT did the quarter in the 8-9 second range on pikes peak tires. So it may have a ricey engine, but it can haul ass. Have you seen Funny cars? They have 5.7L or so engines with a carb, pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder. Then they rev up to 8000+rpm, and make 1300hp, and do the quarter in about 6.5 seconds, wayyyyy faster than the import drag racers. Old tech V8's can and do smoke new-style ricers.

And of course a 2000lb CRX converted to rear wheel drive with a 900hp nitrous-fed engine can beat a 550 hp viper that weighs 3000 pounds. The laws of physics dont give a rats ass as to the type of car.