Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687
Re: Very fast, less than 10k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJo
b/c part of owning a fast car is making it look nice. and i'm not gonna make fun of maximas but i'm not really a big fan. and plus u can't just slap a turbo on an engine unless u want to run about 5 psi and plus y put money into a car that u d'nt like to start off with.
You could just say you dont like the looks but dont say that engines internals can only take 5psi. The VQ is the same engine in the 300ZX just minus the turbo. You could def run much more then 5 psi.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
LoJo
AF Newbie

ok yes i apologize for the psi estimation i don't much about nissan engines so i shouldn't have prejudged but i was in the same position that importbuilder was in and the main reason i ruled out maxima is b/c when i think of a car running low 1/4 times a maxima doesn't really come to mind

As far as the crx idea i think that is also an excellent choice there cheap cars to begin with( although there probably not gonna be in too great of condition) but they are light as hell. i believe there only about 2100 pounds i have a friend with a crx modded the shit out of it and is at about 400whp its rediculous.plus its a honda so you can throw just about any of the b series or even an h22 in there and it will fly
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJo
ok yes i apologize for the psi estimation i don't much about nissan engines so i shouldn't have prejudged but i was in the same position that importbuilder was in and the main reason i ruled out maxima is b/c when i think of a car running low 1/4 times a maxima doesn't really come to mind

As far as the crx idea i think that is also an excellent choice there cheap cars to begin with( although there probably not gonna be in too great of condition) but they are light as hell. i believe there only about 2100 pounds i have a friend with a crx modded the shit out of it and is at about 400whp its rediculous.plus its a honda so you can throw just about any of the b series or even an h22 in there and it will fly
Its cool...I have to defend the Max when I can, it was my first car haha. If I were going to own a honda, after the S2000 I'd want a CRX. My only problem with them is that you probably have more room in a motocycle. I'll stay with what I know though and recommend a VW. You may be able to get a nice 1.8T GTI which has a huge aftermarket. What about a Toyota MR2? You can find one of them cheap and they have a decent aftermarket. And, theres someone on AF that runs 26(i think) PSI on stock MR2 internals and that way you're getting the advantages or RWD.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
LoJo
AF Newbie

thats a good arguement i have heard a lot of good reviews with the older MR2's i actually looked into them myself but i don't kno about around you but around me there really hard to find and another thing if they haven't been mantained properly they can cause a lot of trouble

and you are right about the room in the crx except my friend had most of his car gutted and customized so it wasn't too bad. but your talkin about major bucks
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Why Honda? Why FWD?

I'd definately pickup something rear wheel drive, with a bigger engine. If you're looking to run fast on the strip look at the old Datsun Z-Series and swap in a Chevy 350 Crate motor. Its a common swap. $1500 on the car, $3000 on the crate motor, and then you can get a tranny out of a junkyard. So you still have anywhere from $4000-$5000 left. I've seen those Z's with Chevy 350's run 9's on the quarter.

Look at Camaro's too or the old 5.0 Mustangs. V8's are capable of tremendous power without a lot of work, or money. If you dont like american you could look at BMW's, and Lexus SC300's. Those have 6 cylinders, and are capable of a done of power. If you're worried about gas mileage then you need two cars, one as a daily driver, and one as race vehicle. Gas mileage will be affected greatly.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

To Lojo: Any car will be major problems if not properly maintained, youd be better of taking that chance with a Toyota then alot of other cars. And yes, they are pretty rare.

To GTMike: He is saying that gas mileage is a concern and with that heavy ass 350 wouldnt that kill the weight distribution? IDK about you but if I have a Z, I want to be able to carve some turns. However, that is a good suggestion because even the stock motors are capable of power. I also like the Lexus SC suggestion. They can be pretty quick.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #22
LoJo
AF Newbie

yea GTMike thts why we were on that topic in the first place he wanted something that was good on gas and since his name was importbuilder i was assuming that he wanted an import. i never said it had to be a honda thats just what i've always been around and its what i know. i don't have anything against american cars my friend actually has a worked up 99 GT with about 400 hp and i love it
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #23
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLad10687
To GTMike: He is saying that gas mileage is a concern and with that heavy ass 350 wouldnt that kill the weight distribution? IDK about you but if I have a Z, I want to be able to carve some turns.
From what I've read, he seems to be more interested in drag racing, not road racing. The way the cars are built are two entirely different things. Cars for the strip usually have a beefed up motor that can easily overcome the weight of the vehicle. Usually an iron block, with a ton of mods on the engine, and not much done anywhere else. With that said, they usually handle poorly.

Now if you're looking for road racer, the car needs to be well balanced as you said. For that I would choose a BMW 325iS engine mods, and focus on suspension. My buddy has a 95 325 with Moton suspension, port and polish, decked head, M3 Cams, new ignition, intake, and exhaust. The most expensive modification was the suspension buy a few grand. Though the engine doesnt put out huge numbers on the dyno, the car can handle amazingly well at 135MPH with no problems. You feel glued to the road.

Another great car for road racing would be an 86+ Porsche 944 Turbo. The transmission is in the rear which makes for a perfect balance. The motors have a lot of parts available for them. Plus the motors can handle some boost with out major modifications. Once again, I'd go with the Moton suspension for impressive handling.

If you want to be competitive you have to pick a certain area you want to be competitive in. You cant expect to run 8's on the strip, and win races at the track, while getting good gas mileage. Focus on one aspect, and build the car for that. If you want something that will tear up the strip, focus on your motor. If you want something that will sling you around the corners, focus on suspension and some high end power. If you want good gas mileage drive a Prius.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #24
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
From what I've read, he seems to be more interested in drag racing, not road racing. The way the cars are built are two entirely different things. Cars for the strip usually have a beefed up motor that can easily overcome the weight of the vehicle. Usually an iron block, with a ton of mods on the engine, and not much done anywhere else. With that said, they usually handle poorly.

Now if you're looking for road racer, the car needs to be well balanced as you said. For that I would choose a BMW 325iS engine mods, and focus on suspension. My buddy has a 95 325 with Moton suspension, port and polish, decked head, M3 Cams, new ignition, intake, and exhaust. The most expensive modification was the suspension buy a few grand. Though the engine doesnt put out huge numbers on the dyno, the car can handle amazingly well at 135MPH with no problems. You feel glued to the road.

Another great car for road racing would be an 86+ Porsche 944 Turbo. The transmission is in the rear which makes for a perfect balance. The motors have a lot of parts available for them. Plus the motors can handle some boost with out major modifications. Once again, I'd go with the Moton suspension for impressive handling.

If you want to be competitive you have to pick a certain area you want to be competitive in. You cant expect to run 8's on the strip, and win races at the track, while getting good gas mileage. Focus on one aspect, and build the car for that. If you want something that will tear up the strip, focus on your motor. If you want something that will sling you around the corners, focus on suspension and some high end power. If you want good gas mileage drive a Prius.
I thought the thing was he wanted to run 12s. You could have a street/strip car run 12s. Im not arguing with you here, if I wanted a drag car, a Z with a 350 in it is a good idea, I never thought of that. However if I need a daily driver to run 12s I dont think I'd want the Z with a 350. But yes, I do agree that the car all depends on the application.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #25
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

Hell if you want to be different, get an older toyota or nissan pickup and do a turbo engine swap. Im currently helping a friend with a sr20det swap in a nissan. I want to put a rb sereis engine in one. But thats just me you can haul stuff, its fast as hell and no one expects it.

Another swap which im doing , Yes it fwd, is a 90 4 dr accord with a h23 turbo. Im trying for low 12's be kind of cool to beat a mustang or camaro with a 4 door honda.

You can get a used 240 off ebay and get a rb25dett that would be a swap and a half, that car would be fast.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #26
sv650s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sv650s Send a message via MSN to sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLad10687
You could just say you dont like the looks but dont say that engines internals can only take 5psi. The VQ is the same engine in the 300ZX just minus the turbo. You could def run much more then 5 psi.
whoa.....the 300zx used the vg30et or vg30dett never a vq series engine, and even if a vq35dett was made nissan would use weaker internals for the n/a version because they're not needed on a n/a engine just like other companies do.....now the 5 psi thing i don't know about

edit: and to the thread starter what about a galant vr4 or eclipse gsx? (i know the average stock gsx should be about 10k or less) besides awd pwns all
Old 05-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Why not just buy a rebuilt/salvaged SRT4? They are everywhere these days and as long as your credit is OK you can get good loans on them. There was a rebuilt '04 srt4 on Ebay with all kinds of bolt ons already on it including an SCCA correct rollcage that sold for only $9k with 13k miles on it.

Many people are buying the SRT4 and don't know how to handle it. Locally there was a guy that had a black '04 with stage3 kit. Man would that thing run!!! Anyway, he decided to unload it and sold it to some young guy that 2 weeks later made the bumpers kiss each other via a tree it hit.

GOTO www.srtforums.com and look up in the cars for sale area. There usually a few decent deals on there.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #28
mango1
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to mango1

If you want power and light weight try a datsun 510 with a 300zx vg30dett motor. the car will be light(2000) pounds with lots of torque and and hp or for gas try an sr20det or k24det motor all swaps can be done fairly easy with the help from somone who has done it.
mango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #29
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

I saw a '87 Buick T-type that's only got about 45k on the clock for sale for $9500. A buddy of mine has one that just has a few tweaks and such that's running deep into the 11's in the quarter.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A