Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 10:55 AM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Ford opens $150 million assembly plant in Russia

From Reuters

The plant, located in the Leningrad region, will assemble 25,000 cars per year and have the capacity to increase annual output to 100,000.

Prices will range between $10,900 and $18,300 with the hatchback version costing $10,900 to $15,000.

"The quality/price ratio will be very good for the buyer," said Henrik Nensen, the president of Ford Motor Co. for Russia.

He added that Ford also was considering adding another model to the Focus.

"In six months, we shall look at the situation and maybe add another model," Nensen said, but gave no further details.

Nensen said Ford hoped to double overall sales of Ford cars in Russia in 2002 to 7,800 and boost sales to 27,000 by 2005.

He added that Ford had increased its number of dealers in Russia to 70 from 21 over the last 18 months.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Anarki_Renegades
AF Newbie

Wait, why would ford start putting plants overseas for vehicles with the ford nameplate. I would like to see them put this plant somewhere here in america to create some jobs here. They're doing it over there because it's cheaper. Sounds like we're getting the shaft as americans. I won't pay a tariff on an american nameplate anytime soon. I don't like the focus anyway, so who cares? German cars are better anyway.
Anarki_Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Anarki_Renegades
Wait, why would ford start putting plants overseas for vehicles with the ford nameplate. I would like to see them put this plant somewhere here in america to create some jobs here............................ I don't like the focus anyway, so who cares? German cars are better anyway.

You rant on about Ford making cars overseas, then cliam that forgin cars are superior?

Well did you know that Ford has been making cars in Europe since at least the early 20s, and probobly longer.
Infact there are whole lines of cars designed and built be Ford in the UK and Germany that were NEVER sold in the US. Yes, thats right Ford is not a totaly AMERICAN Company, and hasnt been since the Model T.

Besides which the New Plant in Russia is being built to supply the Russian market, not the US or European one.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
Sob
AF Regular

Heh, maybe I'm a *complete* idiot (which isn't too far from the truth), but isn't Russia a bankrupt country? I mean, the people there can't afford bread, how can they afford a car?
Sob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 12:22 AM   #5
|Banchi1O5|
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to |Banchi1O5| Send a message via Yahoo to |Banchi1O5|
i think theyll be making the cars for us
Old 07-22-2002, 01:44 AM   #6
Sob
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
Besides which the New Plant in Russia is being built to supply the Russian market, not the US or European one.
Ya, what he said.
Sob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #7
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Sob
but isn't Russia a bankrupt country?
Not totaly, sure there is a lot of poverty, and a lot of people have nothing, but there are always ppl making money somewhere, and like the article said they only plan on selling about 26,000 a year.
In a country with severl hundred million ppl in it, thats not a lot of cars to be making.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:53 AM   #8
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
I must say, that I look to this venture with optimism, especially if it takes off, it will benefit Russia greatly and create jobs They deserve a break like this
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #9
Hudson
Old Mod

Russia, like China, is a growth country. As the market develops over time, Russia has the potential to be a market as large as the US. The US (as well as Japan and Western Europe) is a stagnant market. Sales of light-vehicles isn't going to change much; sure it goes up a few points and down a few points, but it's going to hover around 16.5 million units a year. Russia current builds one million vehicles a year, primarily for the Russian market (and those of other former Soviet countries).

There's little thought of bringing Russian-built Focuses (Focii?) to North America or Western Europe. But getting production in Russia is a big deal for the future growth of any major car company.

You folks do know that the Focus is more a German car than an American car, right? The argument that German cars were better than the Focus seemed like a perplexing debate.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #10
|Banchi1O5|
AF Enthusiast

After all we killed Russia's Economy in the Cold War with our "star wars missile defense system"

Old 07-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #11
Jimbo_Jones
AF Enthusiast

i dont think even fords would sell in russia, the average wage over there is like $100 a month (i think)...

seriously, did ford think this through...???
Old 07-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #12
|Banchi1O5|
AF Enthusiast

I dont think its as much as them making cars in Russia
as it is that Russia went gaga over this because of the amount of
jobs it would bring its still low economy
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 PM   #13
Hudson
Old Mod

Jimbo:

There is wealth in Russia, just as there are poor people. Building a car in Russia builds the economy, improves people's wages, and makes the Ford badge a more common sight. Ford has thought this out just like when they started building Model Ts and marketing them to poor people in the US in 1908.

Sure, it takes time for the economy to pick up and absorb the 250,000 units that the US buys. But the Russian economy could afford 20,000 $12,000 Focuses. People in Russia need a step up from their $6,000 Ladas (of which they make and sell hundreds of thousands each year).
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:14 AM   #14
Anarki_Renegades
AF Newbie

In response to moppie

Yes I did say foreign cars are better. But not foreign Fords. I don"t really have a problem with Fords, but wouldn't want one built in Russia. It still isn't clear if these cars are being made for the Foreign market, or if they are being imported, but my point was that I wouldn't ever buy an imported car that is seen as domestic.
Anarki_Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:38 AM   #15
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Some American cars are exported to Japan and (crazy them) the Japanese buy cars such as Ford Taurus for exorbitant prices and are happy with it, because not many people have American cars there.