Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
4blogger 96
AF Newbie

Re: sporty RWD car under 4k?

No, not really they both rev at about the same levels. Rev levels are basically determined by power vs. displacement. A car like a Ferrari that has low displacement V12's but 500+ horsepower will rev at 5 digit levels, but a Muscle Car with high displacement big blocks and 300-400 horse will usually performe at lower levels of rev. The 1.8 and the 1.6 have pretty equal horse-displacement ratios, so they will have basically the same powerband and they both feature the same tachometer. The reason I would go with a 1.6 is because 1.6 Miatas are cheaper, the 1.6 is much smoother due to beefier and better built internals, lighter and Miata entusiants have said that it's easier to modify, and it's also easier to boost because the block is already tapped for a turbo oil-drain. It probably gets better gas-mileage also, though I am not sure.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:24 PM   #17
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

ya I've read my share on power vs displacement just wondering since some engines while similar in HP and close in size can have disimilar torque curves.
Also I've read the 1994 in addition to getting the 1.8 got a front subrace and changed the rear brace and bigger brakes and lighter wheels so how much difference would that make?
And how much power can on make with each engine N/A?
Altimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:02 AM   #18
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

thread res...
Are the 4.6 *96+ so you get same engine as mustang* t-birds decent rides.. not like handling wise, but are they atleast fun to mess around with on the street with the torque they got and RWD?
I've read a bit about them and apparently it's pretty popular to upgrade the tranny and you can make them run 15 with just a tigher tc and make the tranny shift harder?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #19
shnailpower
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to shnailpower
Has no one considered the older Supras? They have a decent power band and they are definately sporty cars. Fun to drive from what I have heard, plus they carry an aftermarket (sort of ). Another option would be a first-gen Mr2, not to fast but it would fit your bill. The Supra and Mr2 handle nicely, though the insurance might be a bit of a problem but it shouldn't bite you to hard. Those are just two other options open to you.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #20
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Just my dumb two cents. How about a $3000 LT1 Caprice with $1000 worth of suspension. My SS handles quite well, better than I need, yet still rides nicely, is quiet, and has tons of power not to mention potential for lots more power.

Of course it is a GM with their legendary quality (that's sarcasm) but I haven't had anthing other than minor repairs like EGR, PS pump, water pump, etc. The LT1 itself has proven to be a very long-life engine.

I was going to keep my mouth shut, but two of your concerns were legroom and insurance. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs with tons of room to spare in the car, and my insurance is cheeeeeep. V8 power, handling potential, smooth ride, classy enough, and one of GMs most reliable offerings. Not to mention, parts are cheap, both performance and replacement/service parts. Here's one already done for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NO-RE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #21
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

that caprise doesn't look have bad
and I absolutely love the Lt1 engine.
One of the instructors at my comm college(heh) has an Lt1 in his fastback V12 jaguar and it hauls ass, way easy to get the ass end out.
We also got a dyno last year but it's finally installed and such and he made like 260HP I think, and one of my other instructors made 280HP in his SCed DOHC mustang before the wheels started spinnin cuz they don't have the straps installed.
Anyway, those look ok
edit.. oh.. police package= Lt1.. so are the cars are fucked up or what?
Oh and how come they're rated lower than the f-body lt1s?
Miata's are cool and all but they're verts and I hate wind noise/interior noise for when I'm listening to music, and if i wanted to pay a few grand to make a slow car fast I would do that with my beetle

Last edited by Altimas; 11-04-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #22
curtis73

Re: Re: sporty RWD car under 4k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimas
that caprise doesn't look have bad
and I absolutely love the Lt1 engine.
police package= Lt1.. so are the cars are fucked up or what?
Oh and how come they're rated lower than the f-body lt1s?
All Caprices after 93 came with either the LT1 or the L98. The L98 was a 4.3 liter version of the 5.7 LT1... not too desirable. The LT1 was standard on 9C1 police package cars, almost all taxis, and almost all wagons. Most optioned for it on Caprices, so almost all Caprices have it. Look in the trunk on the RPO SPID sticker for the code "LT1".

Prior to 94, they came with a 5.0 TBI engine that was also not so hot.

The LT1s in the Caprice used a different cam and heads than the F-bodies. The Caprice LT1 used a smaller cam with iron heads. The F-bodies used a larger cam and aluminum heads. The iron heads actually flow a tiny touch better than the aluminum, but the lower compression required with iron was one of the factors in overall power output. The difference is about 25 hp which is easily gained back with one of the aftermarket cold air intakes, some computer reprogramming, and a 160 thermostat. A total investment of about $300 will get you up to F-body power.

The Impala SS was the only one that came with standard 3.08 rear gears. Most of the other GM B-bodies including 9C1s came standard with 2.73 or 2.9x. Optional on the Caddy Fleetwood tow package was a 3.42.

The 9C1, taxi, and Caddy versions came with rear disc brakes standard. It was optional on others, and the rest had drums.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #23
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

I dunno dude.
I think if I go for a large rwd v8 it will have to be a t-bird seeing as they're a dime a dozen and easily found.
ill have to test drive one...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #24
BobChestnut
AF Regular

Curtus has a good point my cousin had a 95 caprice and there were about 200,000 miles on the thing and then it broke a rod poor car. He said it was the funest thing to drive said he raced gsr's left and right and handed them their pants even with 6 people comfortably seated in the car. I'm not shure what he did to it exactly but it wasn't completely stock he never told me.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #25
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

Well id like an Lt1 caprice but not sure how easily I can get one that isn't beat up or whatever.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #26
Chevy4life1985
AF Enthusiast

THAT ENGINE IS HELLA CLEAN DAMN. I dont think ive ever seen a "used" engine so clean in my LIFE.
You to read this
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...1&page=1&pp=20
Chevy4life1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 AM   #27
curtis73

Re: Re: sporty RWD car under 4k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimas
Well id like an Lt1 caprice but not sure how easily I can get one that isn't beat up or whatever.
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ulti...ubb=forum;f=12

For starters...
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
flatlander757
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Even my 4th gen Z28 handles well given you take the time to learn it.

But I got caught racing in it, so I think I'm going to sell it and keep my fun driving on an auto X course since that's the only sanctioned racing nearby. I'm going to look for an 89-92 mustang GT. Those things handle like they're on rails with some simple suspension upgrades.

Check out www.bmrfabrication.com

They have plenty of handling aftermarket options
Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #29
Burbuliai
Banned

Burbuliai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #30
Altimas
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757
Even my 4th gen Z28 handles well given you take the time to learn it.

But I got caught racing in it, so I think I'm going to sell it and keep my fun driving on an auto X course since that's the only sanctioned racing nearby. I'm going to look for an 89-92 mustang GT. Those things handle like they're on rails with some simple suspension upgrades.

Check out www.bmrfabrication.com

They have plenty of handling aftermarket options
What you gotta do to make it handle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A