Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
View Poll Results: AT or MT what do you like better
Automatic Transmision 6 10.00%
Manual Transmision 51 85.00%
Dont matter 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 11:41 AM   #46
FREED0MFiST
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FREED0MFiST
yeah each one is a little different...my brother just got a permit and has been driving a 92 civic with a worn clutch, then he all thinks he can drive my car and peels, stalls, and bucks it when he tries. at first youll mess up a lot, but you'll get it in no time. a thing i was wondering about sport shift is if its bad to rev in nuetral and press the button or whatever to shift into first... is that alright, or is it bad like doing tranny drops in an auto?
Old 11-10-2002, 02:00 PM   #47
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
there would be no reason for that .. just keep it in first and keep the cluth in and rev it from there.. then when ya wanna take off.. careful for wheel spin.. dump the clutch.. it's not th best thing for it... but it's not even anywhere close to a neutral launch in an auto..
Old 11-10-2002, 04:29 PM   #48
FREED0MFiST
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FREED0MFiST
ahh i didnt know the sport shifts have a clutch. makes sense now
Old 12-05-2002, 03:03 PM   #49
Faded 1
AF Newbie

Question

what do you call a luxurious car with 20 inch rims ?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:50 AM   #50
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
ghetto...
Old 12-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #51
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Why do ppl do neutral shifts with autos? Just put it in D, hit the brakes, floor it, release the brakes. Its hard on it, but it also loads the torque converter. So, you can go faster
Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 AM   #52
TorinoGT69
Automotive Master

Send a message via MSN to TorinoGT69
Depends on what you are using the car for. Stick is much more fun to drive everyday. On a car you are going race, well drag race at least, I would go automatic. They are more consistant and hold up much better to high hp and torque.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:50 AM   #53
cutty
AF Newbie

Auto...? Hmm.. what's that? Let me see, oh I remember, a bumber car.

Manual all the way for me. Manual is a lot more fun to drive, you get a lot more control and you can do just about anything. Auto is a bunch of guess work.

All due respect...
Old 09-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #54
guybud5
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to guybud5 Send a message via AIM to guybud5
Re: AT or MT what do you like better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
An auto CAN, CAN be better. To be better, it needs a high-stall torque converter with a very viscous fluid to keep it almost totally locked up. This would make for fast times, but it would also make it less-than-civil. It would make it a bear to drive on the street, while a stick has no tradeoffs. So from the factory (and a fair bit after), a stick will accelerate better.
Actually, it would deppend on the stick... take the recently retired Camaro. Its V8 was designed han in hand with the automatic... but the stick was more notchy than most. Even the enthusiast magazines recommended the stick. After driving one, I must agree... it's a very notchy, truck style shifter.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #55
Doug000
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Doug000 Send a message via MSN to Doug000 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug000

It really depends on the application. If I am driving a cruiser....I like and automatic. But when it comes to performance or towing, manuals trannys are a definite first choice.

I have 2 Camaros, both have autos (I got a killer deal on both of these) and my pickup also has an auto, though I wished it had a manual because it is just a work horse.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #56
Bulletproof
AF Newbie

Exclamation

Hey guys Im going to be buying a manual soon for the first time and I have some questions regarding manual that I hope u guys can answer so I can be a good driver.

Now, I'm parked in a driveway and I want to start up and get on the road.. So I make sure the parking break is engaged, push the clutch in, and set the car into neutral (if it isnt already), and start the engine. Then I let go of the clutch and let the car warm up. Now, I push the clutch in again and remove the parking break and shift into reverse to get out of my driveway -- this is the part where I am sort of confused. Alot of people say to learn where the clutch engages when letting go of it, my question is when to feed it some gas, do you feed it some gas before the clutch engages or after the clutch engages? and does reverse have an rpm requirement?

And I guess if you fed the car some gas before the clutch engages that would make it sort of "jump" wouldn't it? so that would make it dangerous when pulling out of the driveway, so I'm not exactly sure what to do here.

And let's also say that I come to a red light. I push the clutch in and push the break in till I come to a full stop, then I shift into neutral and let go of the clutch. The light turns green. I push the clutch, shift into first and let go of the break, and again I have myself with the question of when to feed it some gas (before or after the clutch engages).

Here's another situation, let's say I come up to an intersection where I only need to stop for 3 or 4 seconds and I'm already in 2nd gear. I push the clutch in and break, back to neutral and do the same thing as I said above with the red light.. My question here is can't I just push the clutch in and break and downshift into first gear from 2nd and continue on? Or can I even skip pressing the clutch when breaking and just downshift into first when I come to a full stop? And what if I just keep the car in first, can I just use the break normally and not touch the clutch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #57
Bulletproof
AF Newbie

Someone reply please
Old 10-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #58
w155jmh
AF Newbie

Here's another situation, let's say I come up to an intersection where I only need to stop for 3 or 4 seconds and I'm already in 2nd gear. I push the clutch in and break, back to neutral and do the same thing as I said above with the red light.. My question here is can't I just push the clutch in and break and downshift into first gear from 2nd and continue on? Or can I even skip pressing the clutch when breaking and just downshift into first when I come to a full stop? And what if I just keep the car in first, can I just use the break normally and not touch the clutch?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

I normally drive an auto but I will try to help. I think you'll find that if you let up the clutch before you give it gas, you'll stall it. Give it a little gas before you let up on the clutch. How much depends on the car you're driving and whether you're on a hill. It will definately take some getting used to but it will come with a little patience.

I think that sort of answers your second question too, if you come to a stop while in gear (even first) you will probably stall your engine unless you have a very high idle.

Another advantage to having a stick is you can downshift to aid in braking. Say you're doing 50 MPH or so and you know you need to stop soon, you can downshift to say 3rd and you will decellerate. This saves wear on your brakes.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #59
240NIZ
AF Enthusiast

Sticking with the stick
Old 09-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #60
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

Stick is just better. Clutchless "stick" is still automatic. It even shifts gear if you rev too hard, so your engine would not blow.
I personaly double clutch when downshifting, or going up hill and need to downshift. On a straight road when you are going on nutral and your RPMs fall to 1000, I usally rev it up a bit (maybe 3000) and then put it in gear. Smoother.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A