Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Unhappy What type of bike best fits me??

Hi guys/galls,I am new to this forum. I shall say that I've read all your advice to new riders. Thanks. Well my question is, what bike best fits me. I am a little short (thank mom & dad) 5'2 and weigh 125 lbs. I've been wanting a bike for years, but when I have the $$ something always comes up. Anywhoo, by December I'll have the money and I don't know what bike to get, taking in consideration that I am a girl.... and I've been shopping around San Diego, there really isn't much to choose from, any suggestions???
bnakach619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
SamBlob
AF Enthusiast

Re: What type of bike best fits me??

First bike that comes to mind is the Honda Rebel. The perennial complaint about the Rebel is that it is too small for tall riders. Otherwise, there are rather few complaints. It is a cruiser though, or as much of a cruiser as a 250 cc bike can really be. Other 250 cc cruiser possibilities are the Suzuki GZ250 and the Yamaha Virago 250. I'm not sure about the seat height of the Honda Nighthawk 250 or the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

The Buell Blast! is available in a lowered version. Hopefully a 500 won't be too much for a beginner, especially since Buell claims the Blast was designed for beginning riders.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Re: Re: What type of bike best fits me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBlob
First bike that comes to mind is the Honda Rebel. The perennial complaint about the Rebel is that it is too small for tall riders. Otherwise, there are rather few complaints. It is a cruiser though, or as much of a cruiser as a 250 cc bike can really be. Other 250 cc cruiser possibilities are the Suzuki GZ250 and the Yamaha Virago 250. I'm not sure about the seat height of the Honda Nighthawk 250 or the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

The Buell Blast! is available in a lowered version. Hopefully a 500 won't be too much for a beginner, especially since Buell claims the Blast was designed for beginning riders.

Hey thanks SamBlob, really appreciate your feedback. I'll do some research on these bikes you mentioned.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Hey thanks SamBlob, really appreciate your feedback. I'll make some research on these bikes you mentioned. By the way, you live in Jamaica?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Actually SamBlob these are not the type of bikes that I had in mind, but thanks anywhoo.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
PossibleSideEffect
AF Newbie

You might want something a little bigger than the ones suggested. But not too big.
Maybe a Yamaha YZF600R
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...a_yzf600r.aspx
Or a Honda CBR
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...elId=CBR600F45

These are fairly small bikes, decent for beginners, decent for street riding, and they are teh sexay with women on them!
PossibleSideEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
SamBlob
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: What type of bike best fits me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnakach619
Actually SamBlob these are not the type of bikes that I had in mind, but thanks anywhoo.
So what kind of bike did you have in mind? Apart from being suitable for a short beginner, that is. Maybe a Suzuki GS500E (used, no fairing) or GS500F (new, with fairing) or a Kawasaki Ninja 500R? Or not, since both are a bit similar to the Blast! except that they are parallel twins with more power and chain drive.

Looking in the other direction, there's the Honda Reflex and Suzuki Burgman 400, but those are a bit pricey...
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Yeah, I looked for a few Yamaha's R6 and that's probably what I'll go for. A buddy of mine who's been riding for years was teaching me on his bike and the seating felt really comfortable...I'm proabably going to register into MSF courses before I get my bike....do you recomend me having my own bike for these courses? or using one that they provide? Thanks for your replies guys!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

The first MSF course REQUIRES that you use THEIR bike. Wait til after you have taken the class to get the bike. You MAY get a discount, like you do on insurance. If you're short, you WILL have problems on ALL 600cc bikes. I am 5'10" and I fit comfortably on most 600s, so good luck at finding one that you feel safe on at only 5'2".

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
bnakach619
AF Newbie

Thanx saturntangerine.....
Old 11-01-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
madbusa2002
AF Newbie

If this is your first bike and you like the Yamaha line, why not find a clean FZR400/600? It is a little lower to the ground and is lighter than the R6. I had a 99 R6 and it was a lot of fun. The FZR is definitely going to be a cheaper whip to get into, easier to handle, comes in the same paint schemes and is a nice all around bike. Just an idea.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
bnakach619
AF Newbie

I'll take a look at these bikes. Thanx for the info.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes