Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
clutch_dumper
AF Newbie

Unhappy Lowering my Accord????

My 93 Accord is almost all stock, I put on new 15 inch wheels and now I want to lower it but I have no idea where to start. Should I buy just four lowering springs or do I need adjustable shocks too? What should i look for when buying a lowering kit to put on a car with stock suspension?

Please someone help me, tell me exactly what to buy

clutch_dumper
clutch_dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
phoenixitc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lowering my Accord????

This is a topic that has been discussed alot. Much depends on how low to go, how much $$ you have, things such as matching springs to shocks, type of driving, etc.. I have a 95 Accord EX. I bought H&R OE springs and Koni Yellows. I got a drop of about 2" up front, 1.5 in back. I didn't want such a drop but I actually like it.

Also, why only 15s and not 16 or 17s for the looks, etc?
phoenixitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer

In my opinion since you have the suspension apart might as well do shocks too. Why waste time and/or money doing it twice?

I also think you will have a better ride and the car will respond better with aftermarket shocks because OEM shocks do not handle aftermarket springs OR coilovers very well and will wear them out quicker.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #4
SenseiAccord
AF Enthusiast

Yea... change the shocks during the same time u changing out the springs. saves time. Also try to do it right the first time. I already took apart my suspension 3 times already trying to seek the perfect ride for me. I went fron non-adjustables on drop springs to non adj on coilovers to adj on coilovers and now might go to adj on drop springs. Ill probably go to a full tein ss set up at this rate eventually. IMO u should get drop springs on adj shocks with sway bars. That way u can make the ride smooth or hard and no matter what with the sways u dont have to worry about the body roll. One thing is that u cant adjust ur height. Usually when u dont play with ur suspension anyway if u have coilovers. Its just good to have the option.

IMO try not to get non adj shocks. They are no good unless it is bilsteins mono tube shocks. Also try stay away from KYB AGXs adj shocks. I dont think they are all that good for a low drop and their warranty sucks. Try get koni adjustables or maybe tokico illuminas. Or do it right and get Tein SS full coilover set up. Thats my 2 cents tho
SenseiAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:01 AM   #5
phoenixitc
AF Enthusiast

My advice is to measure the replacement hardware with stock. Don't do what I did and just have the mechanic install and then find that the drop is too much (or too little). I had to pay out an extra $100 to redo my setup.
phoenixitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
SenseiAccord
AF Enthusiast

oh yea dont get arospeed coilover or any cheap ebay crap or generic brands. My arospeed coilovers may look and sound good but the ride is bouncy. Its smooth on minor bumps but like on a lil tiny bigger bump ur car will end up bouncing like if u had blown shocks. I go over speed bumps at a slow speed and i can already feel the car bouncing. Try to get a soft spring rate like 360 front and 280 rear or something. Right now my ride spring rate is like 500 front and 400 rear. Very terrible.
SenseiAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
86bluethunder
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to 86bluethunder

i have an 86 honda accord and i just bought some adjustable coilovers . and was wondering what shocks are struts i should buy that would work with them ... thanks
86bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
clutch_dumper
AF Newbie

I love all the input. I only want to lower it about 2 inches or so but do I have to get shocks too? I knwo it's better to both at the same time but not enough cash so will I still be able to lower it 2 or so inches with just 4 nice lowering springs?

-clutch
clutch_dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
ONLYTHEBESTPHORME
AF Newbie

I have a 91 accord and I purchased the lowering springs off of ebay from arospeed and they look great and the handling is awesome. Coilovers don't even compare to the original arospeed springs. I got them off of ebay for $60 and I couldnt be happier!! They only come in yellow, but thats what I wanted anyway. Check out the arospeed store on ebay, they have a bunch of stuff on sale!! the username of the company is arospeed3, and it is arospeed direct merchandise at LOW prices. Also check out there camber kits-the cheapest price on ebay that I have seen-
ONLYTHEBESTPHORME is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels