Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 03:24 PM   #1
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ChibiSF
Rice rocket or American Muscle

I have around 7 thousand dollars to buy a recent used Japanese car, or a classic American Muscle Car. Being a new driver, the Japanese car with it's power steering, power brakes, ABS, airbags appeals to me. However, it just seems a helluva lot more appealing to drive around a classic Charger, Chevelle, Camaro, etc. than a Japanese rice burner.

I know I'm going to put another 7 - 10 thousand dollars into it after the purchase, so it would be either making the American Muscle Car into showroom condition (almost,) or tricking out the Japanese Car. It's really a choice, either having the sweet rumble of a V8 engine in classic American muscle, or watching the people's faces the next day in school, when the day before they got burned by a Nissan. I don't know what would satisfy me more.

What would be better overall?
ChibiSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sentra Styling
Well I was just looking at your present car and notice that you own a G20....Why not sink that money into that SR20DE motor you're hiding under that hood????
All SR20DE powered...
Sentra Styling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

I love my G20. One major problem. It's an automatic. The automatic transmission just ruins it for the whole car. I'm really looking for a manual for three reasons: It goes faster than an automatic, it's more fuel efficient, and last by definately not least, my mom cannot drive stick-shift. ^^;
Old 01-13-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

I'd deffnetly try to get something with the Nissan SR20DE in it then....They are really a strong engine and they almost scream turbo and what not......You can get like a 91-94 Sentra SE-R or maybe even a Nissan NX2000,or still even find a manual G20.....I'm not saying this cuse I'm a Nissan fan but if you ask anyone with any knowledge of import racing or tuning and they'll tell ya the SR20DE is a strong motor...
Or you can even get something more or less in te lines of like a Honda CRX si or something....CRX's are really fun to drive and they haul ass as well.....
All SR20DE powered...
Old 01-13-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

I'm actually thinking of selling the Infiniti to my friend, and then buying a 240SX model 95 - 98 with the money I got from selling it. Then trick out the 240SX, and swapping SR20DET engine into the car.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:19 PM   #6
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

That would actually be an excellent idea,,but the one thing that would worry me about that is the lack of people that actually know how to work on a DET in the states.....If you can find someone in your area or within traveling distance then I would say go for it 100%,but if not then check into it first......
All SR20DE powered...
Old 01-13-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

Lucky me that less than two hours away from where I live, there is a mechanics shop that does SR20DET swaps. Including Nitrous injection, and Stage one, two, and three upgrades that can get it to 450 RWHP. Hot stuff. hehe.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 AM   #8
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I'd go with Americam Muscle you buy a 68' Camaro Z-28 and it will take a supercharger and nitrous just for a 200SX to keep up with you. Also if you did wish took make it faster your money will go a lot farther due to the fact that parts are cheaper for it and also you get more hp per part. Also you buy a car like that and drop $7000 in 5 years it will still be worth $7000 or more as long as you don't crash it. Can you say that bout n e Jap car NO!
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:53 AM   #9
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

It's true that it would be cheaper, and I actually like American Muscle cars more than Japanese Cars. The problem is that I am relatively a new driver, and power steering and power brakes aren't options. They are neccesities. It's a lot harder to find older cars with those options.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:03 PM   #10
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

If you have a shop that's close that know what they are doing on a SR20DET then I'd say all means go for it,they are very increadible engines and the tunning is endless......
All SR20DE powered...
Old 01-15-2002, 09:49 PM   #11
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I hear you on the power brakes and steering but I think if you really looked around you'd be surprised how many of these Classic American Muscle cars have already been upgraded to 4-wheel disc brakes and low- ratio power steering racks. Even if you can't find one with it done these parts are easy to buy and install
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:21 PM   #12
jettaIII
AF Newbie

I say go with an import, man. They are more reliable in the long run definitely. Although the classic cars are easier to work on yourself w/proper knowledge. And you can't go wrong with the SR20DET. It's right up there with the 4G63 (Eclipse) and 2JZ-GTE (TT Supra) engines well known for being insanely strong. Especially running fairly high boost w/ stock internals. And Japanese imports hold their value very well. My $.02.
jettaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:35 PM   #13
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

I have decided to go with the 240sx, however I have found out that the SR20DET swap costs waaay too much. Just for a S13 Redtop SR20DET swap, it costs around 6000 dollars. That would get me around 205 horsepower. I have found another company that does bolt-on turbocharging of the KA24DE already found in the 240sx, which costs around 6000 dollars for stage III work. That would be maybe 350 or maybe even 400 horse to the wheels. Which would be better in the long run?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:46 PM   #14
jettaIII
AF Newbie

mmmmm 400whp...:frog:
I guess in the long run reliablilty matters most. So maybe the KA24DE turboed and then strengthen the internals?
jettaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:19 PM   #15
barryco
AF Newbie

I would go for american muscle. You could go for a really fast jap car, but with a budget the v8's are cool.

Let me explain... Turbo cars need top servicing and maintainance, and when they go wrong, OUCH!

V8 engines are pretty cheap to tune, sound amazing and are pretty unstressed and will be relaible.

Saying that I wouldn't mind a pulsar GTi-r
barryco is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A