Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Twitchie9
AF Newbie

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Goes then Won't?

So this winter, my older, reliable Malibu bagan having this issue. I live in Michigan, so cold winters. I let my car warm up. I put it in gear and it takes off with no issue. The forst time I come to a stop, I can't get it to hardly move more than 2mph for a while. After 10 or so minutes, it starts going again and then doesn't have any issues for the rest of the drive.

Any ideas?
Twitchie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Goes then Won't?

Chances are you have a 4T40 tranny with no dipstick.....know how to check the fluid level?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Twitchie9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Chances are you have a 4T40 tranny with no dipstick.....know how to check the fluid level?
You are correct. I do not know how to check the level without the dipstick. All the cars I've ever owned had a dipstick that I would top the level off right through the dipstick tube. No dashboard indicator has lit up saying I needed it - then again, there may not be an indicator for it either.
Twitchie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchie9 View Post
You are correct. I do not know how to check the level without the dipstick. All the cars I've ever owned had a dipstick that I would top the level off right through the dipstick tube. No dashboard indicator has lit up saying I needed it - then again, there may not be an indicator for it either.
I purchased a transmission pan gasket. The man at Auto Zone said to add the amount of fluid needed I did this and it worked fine.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

To check the fluid level:

Get vehicle to normal operating temp(this should bring the transmission fluid to normal temp also)...park on level surface.....shift the tranny, manually through all the gears.......

Now find the 11mm fluid level plug.....facing the tranny where the passenger side axle comes out of the tranny, just to the right of the axle opening and about a couple of inches above the pan is the 11mm level bolt.....

The engine MUST BE RUNNING AND THE TRANNY IN PARK.....remove the 11mm bolt......fluid should just trickle out of the bottom of the hole....if it doesn't, on the top of the tranny on the driver's side, is either a large red or black cap.....remove and add fluid in small increments......add a little and then check the hole.....if nothing comes out in 10 seconds, add some more......when fluid finally trickles out, reinstall the plug and install the fil cap......

CAUTION: When removing that bolt, the exhaust is nearby and is hot.....also, that serp belt is rotating also.......
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
To check the fluid level:

Get vehicle to normal operating temp(this should bring the transmission fluid to normal temp also)...park on level surface.....shift the tranny, manually through all the gears.......

Now find the 11mm fluid level plug.....facing the tranny where the passenger side axle comes out of the tranny, just to the right of the axle opening and about a couple of inches above the pan is the 11mm level bolt.....

The engine MUST BE RUNNING AND THE TRANNY IN PARK.....remove the 11mm bolt......fluid should just trickle out of the bottom of the hole....if it doesn't, on the top of the tranny on the driver's side, is either a large red or black cap.....remove and add fluid in small increments......add a little and then check the hole.....if nothing comes out in 10 seconds, add some more......when fluid finally trickles out, reinstall the plug and install the fil cap......

CAUTION: When removing that bolt, the exhaust is nearby and is hot.....also, that serp belt is rotating also.......
Also, don't shut the car off with that plug removed, or you'll loose a lot of fluid and have to start all over.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Correcto-mondo!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu