Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
shadow5599
AF Newbie

Post How to. Manual +/- shift not working and trans downshifts too easily.

Malibu, 2004 - 2007.
This problem deals with some unusual transmission shifting and loss of the manual shift while in low.

It seems to downshift way too quickly. For instance, at city speeds of 50km/hr (30mph) if the throttle is let off completely, and then back on even very lightly it feels as if it's downshifting or even slipping. The tach jumps up about 500 - 800 rpm and then right away it shifts back down. As long as the throttle is depressed a bit, things feel normal.

Number 2 effect is when the shifter is pulled back into low, supposedly enabling the +/- button on the shifter for manual shifting. The display on the cluster shows it as in low and 3 but the button has no effect either + or -. In effect the manual shift does not work. The display doesnt change from "3".

The likely cause of both problems is a broken wire in the harness to the +/- switch in the shifter. It's highly unlikely that the switch itself is at fault.

Start by removing the centre console....and sorry, I have no pictures. Perhaps someone could add those sometime

2 torx bolts on either side at the front of the console under 2 small round plastic covers that pop off. To make it easier on the passenger side, the panel between the console and the firewall comes off by pulling outwards on it at the firewall side. It's attached with velcro. Remove the middle (directly to the rear of the shifter) cup holder sleeve and the 2 philips screws under it. Get in the back seat and remove the 2 larger hex bolts on the console on either side at the back. Move the front seats all the way up for easier access. There are other bolts on the console but they dont need to come out, I think they hold the inner parts of the console to the console case.

Once those 6 bolts are out, the console is free. Pull the shifter as far back as you can, into low. Pull up on the back of the console, slide it forward a bit and lift up. There is a small flat plastic piece in front of the cell phone holder that will fall off, dont forget to put it back on when reassembling. With the console up somewhat, there is a wiring harness to the lighter and the traction control switch. Pull the plug from the socket on the harness. The console is now completely free. Lift it up and out of the car.

On the drivers side along the floor and bottom of the shifter there are 2 wiring harnesses. One wraps around from the back to the front of the shifter mechanism and on up into the shifter shaft. This contains 2 wires that go up to the +/- switch. A yellow and pink wire wrapped in a black casing. In my case, it was plain to see at a section with no black casing, the yellow wire was broken right through. It looked like it'd been cut. That was under where the console was, along the floor right beside the shifter on the driver's side.

I then cut the pink wire and spliced in an extra 2 inches or so of comparable wire to each wire. This was soldered, wrapped, and tucked in out of the way. That was it for mine. I reassembled the console and the problems described above were gone. I also took the time to clean under the console while it was out and lubricated the cable and the shifter at any pressure points.

If the break is not as obvious as mine was, you will have to open up the black wrapping on the wires and search for a break. I believe that harness has plugs at one or both ends so you may be able to remove it and work on it out of the car. Be sure to add an additional inch or so since that's why this broke in the 1st place, it was too tight.

The entire job took me about an hour and that includes beer breaks.
It saved me between $100 - $400 depending on who you talk to. Most service centres will probably replace the switch, which isnt necessary.

I have never done this job before now and I am not a professional.
If you are not comfy with attempting this procedure, see a qualified service centre.

BTW, "centre" is the proper spelling in Canada

Last edited by shadow5599; 05-05-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: title edit
shadow5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shadow5599 For This Useful Post:
Ed_Strong (10-05-2014), FredSUL (10-05-2014), j_h_021 (04-18-2012), vaughnj1987 (03-21-2011)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Re: How to. Manual +/- shift not working and trans downshifts too easily.

Good write up, and thanks for posting it... from time to time it will be a good idea to bump it, so it wont get lost and burried thru all the threads posted.

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
shadow5599
AF Newbie

Bumping.
I suspect this is or will be a common problem and many people may not even know their car is affected. If they dont use the manual shift, they wouldnt know.
I was sure was glad to have the manual shift working properly for a recent trip to BC, the Rockie Mountains. I cant imagine being without the downshift capability in such terrain!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
shadow5599
AF Newbie

Time for a bump
Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
cezax
AF Newbie

Greetings everyone,

Had the same problem with +/- buttons and also the shifter was loose slightly rotating around it's axis.
Damn dealer was asking me to split the cost for replacing the shifter knob.
$200 my part, but no guarantee the +/- will work.
Filled with frustration I came home looking up for solutions from our friend google.
Finally I came across AF and successfully applied what shadow5599
posted.
Now, I have a fully functional shifter, +/- button that works perfectly, by the way the yellow wire was cut.
As for the rotating shifter, took the top part apart from the plastic tube, and noticed there is an allan screw (I believe that's the technical term)that wasn't tightened properly.
The only thing that doesn't work now, is the light underneath the gear indicators, as I probably missed to put it back in place.
Therefore, I'll have to dismantle the centre console and take care of the little light. Probably I'll take some pictures for future reference.

Anyway, good piece of advice from shadow5599, very much appreciated as it saved me a lot of money.

Thanks for the tip!
cezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Jetex
AF Newbie

cezax,

Before you dismantle the centre console again to repair the shifter indicator lights check this first. The console indicator lights only come on when the headlights are on. So turn your headlights on if you are checking in daytime. You'll have to look carefully because they are hard to see in bright light but ok at night. You can see the shifter position on the dash during daytime.
Jetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
oily one
AF Newbie

Thanks for the tip and the how to, you have saved me several hundred $ in diagnosis and repair. I had the car at the dealer and was told that it was "Normal" and that there was no problem with the car.
Your repair instruction were right on the money. I didn't remove the console completely, just propped it up with a rachet, save unplugging the traction control & lighter. As soon as I lifted the console I could see the broken wire. Fixed it and had the car back together in less than an hour including a test drive. Toughest part of the job was putting the plastic cover back on the cell phone slot - install it after the console is in place through the removable passenger side panel.

oily one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
vaughnj1987
AF Newbie

hey just wanted to post on this thread. you were right on with the yellow and pink wires. pulled off the center console and there they were thanks for your post
vaughnj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
dcmtnbkr
AF Newbie

Just wanted to bump this thread and also mention that if I understand correctly, this problem will also cause issues with the remote start. According to the dealer anyway.
dcmtnbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Op3
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: How to. Manual +/- shift not working and trans downshifts too easily.

The advice & procedure was "right on target"! The tubing between the shifter and the molex plug had gotten hard and creased, causing a sharp edge that sliced the brown (beige?) wire. I extended both wires and covered with shrink wrap. Shifting is back to normal!!!

Thanks Again!!!
Op3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Time for another bump...

It's been a while...!

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
Videobub
AF Newbie

My 2005 Malibu had exactly this problem, and the fix was spot on. Thanks!
Videobub is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu