Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
cherokeechf
AF Newbie

Angry 2001 malibu problems to stay running

well here is the problem, worked on a Malibu with the 3100 engine that belongs to a female friend.
someone put sugar in her gas tank. she had someone clean the tank, and replaced the fuel filter. worked for a short time then died and would not refire.
had it towed to my place and replaced the injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
it was running fine for about a day and a half. then it started to quit running while she drove it. now, when it just sat and idled, it would run. but when she started to drive, it would go a ways then die again.
I even disconnect battery, and reconnected it and it went further than before. then last night the distance started getting shorter.
she also said just before it dies, the temp guage would show very hot, but it was not boiling over. there is coolant in the system.

now also when I got the injectors in, it would not start. I charged battery because it was low on charge. let it sit overnight, and went out and when I turned key on the fuel pump made a stranger than normal noise. I turned switch on and off about 4 times then the pump sounded normal and it started. ran great for 1.5 days and started to die when driving.

also someone had jury rigged the passlock system with a couple of switches. not sure if that would be causing the kill of running.
this is a strange problem, and any good advice would help. she does not have a lot of money.
thanks
cherokeechf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2001 malibu problems to stay running

PassLock only comes into play, while starting the car(if it is a PassLock problem, it starts and then immediately dies)....it will not cause it to stall, after the car has been running for awhile.....

What is the fuel pressure? Sure all the sugar has been removed? The only way to know for sure, is to remove the gas tank and completely flush it out......replace the "sock"(filter) on the pump, clean out the line between the filter and the pump, and replace the filter.....

Scanned for codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
cherokeechf
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
PassLock only comes into play, while starting the car(if it is a PassLock problem, it starts and then immediately dies)....it will not cause it to stall, after the car has been running for awhile.....

What is the fuel pressure? Sure all the sugar has been removed? The only way to know for sure, is to remove the gas tank and completely flush it out......replace the "sock"(filter) on the pump, clean out the line between the filter and the pump, and replace the filter.....

Scanned for codes?

don't believe it is the passlock. since that has been bypassed. she cab drive it a bit and then it will just up and die.
there are no codes. I have the tool to read codes.
as for the fuel pressure, I will have to see if auto zone rents that tool.
the tank was completely removed and washed out. pump and sending unit was removed while cleaning it. I did not clean the tank, someone else did that. I replaced the injectors.
if I pull the tank, I will just replace the pump/sending unit.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
cherokeechf
AF Newbie

also when it would die, it took awhile to restart. then when it would start, would go for a little bit then die(while driving). but when she got it restarted, and just sat and idled the car it would not die, but when she started to drive it, it would die. distance would vary. someone put 2 switches in to bypass the passlock system. she did not have the $400 plus to have a dealer fix that.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
cherokeechf
AF Newbie

well here is more info.
got a fuel pressure guage, and when pump first turned on, 45 psi. when started and running it was fluctuating 36 to 45 real fast the4n it smoothed out. hit throttle and would go to 52 psi.
hit bleeder on guage a couple of times, and then the pressure went to zero. would not restart. no pressure. so I am going to replace the pump assembly/
did see there were codes, one for the recovery purge and a code for the camshaft sensor circuit.
cleared codes and drove for a bit and did not give codes. but now the pump don't run. well let know what happens after replacing pump.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
sbriar
AF Newbie

I had the same problem at one time.
I replaced 3 fuel pumps all in a few weeks until I found the real problem.
Check the main connection from the fuel pump to the main connection to the body harness.
What I found was the (black) ground was shorting out in the connection.
I hard wired the connection and never had another problem.

Steve
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Before any fuel pump is replaced, two things must be done....

A pressure test....

and

Check for power AND ground at the harness connector at the tank.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
cherokeechf
AF Newbie

I checked the pressures yesterday. engine not running, and key in on position, got 45 psi. running it showed 42 psi. when running at first, the gauge would jump fast, from 35 to 45 psi. like a fast bounce, or you could say it was nervous.
then it stabilized.
I hit the bleed off a couple of times and stayed running, then the third time the engine died and no pressure. turned off, then back on and still no pressure. no this morning, she went to start it and it started, and she started to bring it out, to where I live and it died about 4 times and the last time it was 2 miles from my place so we towed it the rest of the way. after taking her home and I went to unload it from trailer, it started.
yes I will check the connections at the plugs first. just waiting til I feel better.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
strmn94
AF Newbie

this part is fixed. it was the line from the fuel pump. it was kinked. he so called boyfriend did not know what he was doing when he pulled it out to clean tank. replaced with a used one and ran good til now. see new post.
strmn94 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu